Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get more ram available on android?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

I got one of these China phones - only got 512mb RAM for apps (467mb useable) - yesterday as a test I went into settings on the Android phone and closed everything running and cleared cache - even after doing that, the bar at the bottom said I was using 380mb RAM out of 467mb - I could not get it any lower than that and im presuming it must be system files that cannot be ended and have to run in the background, yes the phone was less laggy and a lot quicker but it niggles me that I couldnt get it any lower than 380mb. I have partitioned the SD card and moved stuff using link2SD app. the Stock Facebook and Facebook messenger look like killers of apps using a lot of memory but i use them, am trying out these fast for facebook apps off the market but they are not as good but a lot less resource monsters - any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

I just use the mobile FB site; couldn't be arsed with the app. It and Instagram and Google+ are all horrendous resource hogs and battery killers, especially on a phone with only 512MB RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I got one of these China phones - only got 512mb RAM for apps (467mb useable) - yesterday as a test I went into settings on the Android phone and closed everything running and cleared cache - even after doing that, the bar at the bottom said I was using 380mb RAM out of 467mb - I could not get it any lower than that and im presuming it must be system files that cannot be ended and have to run in the background, yes the phone was less laggy and a lot quicker but it niggles me that I couldnt get it any lower than 380mb. I have partitioned the SD card and moved stuff using link2SD app. the Stock Facebook and Facebook messenger look like killers of apps using a lot of memory but i use them, am trying out these fast for facebook apps off the market but they are not as good but a lot less resource monsters - any recommendations?

The RAM you have is what you have.....profound??

Seriously, Android is not Windows, so the less "free ram" you have, the less wasted ram you have.

Android will use, fill it's boots, with what it needs for the current foreground process.

If it needs, it phucks out stuff like background processes and other stuff residing in ram. It is ruthless!!!

It even will take ram from your launcher, causing lag, if it needs it.

So, don't try any fancy memory management.

But, 512Mb is extremely low, by today's standards, which is usually at least 1Gb.....

and it may not be sufficient to run some apps, like FB, which is memory hungry and will require more than your device has to give, hence lag, and swapping out by the system.

So, get alternative, less ram-hungry apps, which will give at least the basic functionality of the branded app......

some games are probably a no-no.

There are some script-based memory management tools available and some memory management apps, look on XDA, and some seeder apps, which may improve things......

I found zeppelinrox v6 suoercharger pretty good. It is on XDA.....but these require root and a willingness to experiment, daily, and go again, and again,_etc.

Mainly, what solves this is a new device, with more RAM...

no getting around it!!!

[Link2SD etc, is really about user app storage, or lack of built-in storage, hence the use of external (I mean not internal or on-board memory) microSD cards to use instead of the available supplied internal storage, by way of trickery!!

Probably not needed in latest Android OS, like KitKat and JellyBean previously.]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

The RAM you have is what you have.....profound??

Seriously, Android is not Windows, so the less "free ram" you have, the less wasted ram you have.

Android will use, fill it's boots, with what it needs for the current foreground process.

If it needs, it phucks out stuff like background processes and other stuff residing in ram. It is ruthless!!!

It even will take ram from your launcher, causing lag, if it needs it.

So, don't try any fancy memory management.

But, 512Mb is extremely low, by today's standards, which is usually at least 1Gb.....

and it may not be sufficient to run some apps, like FB, which is memory hungry and will require more than your device has to give, hence lag, and swapping out by the system.

So, get alternative, less ram-hungry apps, which will give at least the basic functionality of the branded app......

some games are probably a no-no.

There are some script-based memory management tools available and some memory management apps, look on XDA, and some seeder apps, which may improve things......

I found zeppelinrox v6 suoercharger pretty good. It is on XDA.....but these require root and a willingness to experiment, daily, and go again, and again,_etc.

Mainly, what solves this is a new device, with more RAM...

no getting around it!!!

[Link2SD etc, is really about user app storage, or lack of built-in storage, hence the use of external (I mean not internal or on-board memory) microSD cards to use instead of the available supplied internal storage, by way of trickery!!

Probably not needed in latest Android OS, like KitKat and JellyBean previously.]

Thanks for all that, very informative - now all I have to do then is find a china mobile with at least 1gb RAM ... for the price I want to pay!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭leche solara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Thanks for all that, very informative - now all I have to do then is find a china mobile with at least 1gb RAM ... for the price I want to pay!! :-)

What's your price range, there are so many, virtually all have 1G RAM, and the latest, or last, Android OS.

Some also have custom ROM's, developed by ppl who have such an interest, rooted, and no Chinese apps. That can be done easily enough.

I could make some suggestions, if I knew your price range, and others would do to. Let me know.. I'll gladly help.

But, and this is my personal experience, if you can stretch to around €130/140'ish, no Chinese phone will touch Moto G.

It is just so good, so pure Android, such a good out-of the box user experience it simply cannot be praised highly enough. I have one, from Tesco Direct in the UK, when they first came out, the 16G version, and it rocks.

But, there are Chinese phones with similar specs, for considerably less money.

Let us know what you wanna spend.

Remember too, factor in possible customs and VAT, and a difficulty with returns or refunds, I have had some dreadful experiences.

But there are good China sellers too, usually more expensive.

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

What's your price range, there are so many, virtually all have 1G RAM, and the latest, or last, Android OS.

Some also have custom ROM's, developed by ppl who have such an interest, rooted, and no Chinese apps. That can be done easily enough.

I could make some suggestions, if I knew your price range, and others would do to. Let me know.. I'll gladly help.

But, and this is my personal experience, if you can stretch to around €130/140'ish, no Chinese phone will touch Moto G.

It is just so good, so pure Android, such a good out-of the box user experience it simply cannot be praised highly enough. I have one, from Tesco Direct in the UK, when they first came out, the 16G version, and it rocks.

But, there are Chinese phones with similar specs, for considerably less money.

Let us know what you wanna spend.

Remember too, factor in possible customs and VAT, and a difficulty with returns or refunds, I have had some dreadful experiences.

But there are good China sellers too, usually more expensive.

All the best

My budget is 80euro at the moment for a phone - hardly gonna get 1gb Ram and Quad core and decent rear camera for that price, they tend to be 512mb ram, Dual core, and not very good camera especially in low light. So i know if I want better i would have to shell out more. I never buy items located in china just because of that reason of hold up, and extra to pay on duty - so I have always bought from ebay UK with the phone located in london or the UK and used parcel motel for delivery to Ireland. This phone I have at the moment cost 80euro and I just wish it had 1gb Ram and a LED notification light at the top of the screen and a better camera on the rear. Im not too bothered that its Dual core I can live with it and not bothered that the front camera is just VGA.

Love the size of 5", sure its not as easy to hold and operate especially one handed but is really good on my eyesight as im getting older. Now when i look at a mobile under 5" screen the screen and writing look so tiny. I have sucessfully rooted my mobile which is so much better because it came through unlocked but un-rooted. Stuck with jellybean and not really phased of updating it with rom for kit-kat and dont want to risk bricking it either - jelly bean not bad at all.

yes Moto g has a lot of fans doesnt it - although for me its only 4.5" screen and I dont think it has flashing LED notification light (does it?) and i dont know what the camera quality is like on it and i like phones to have a removable SD card on them and a battery that can be removed also. - this is just me personally .

Advertisement