Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question...

Options
  • 21-08-2014 6:15pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure whether to put it here or in "legal".

Basically a friend of mine in the UK did some writing work for a website based here in Ireland and now they're refusing to pay up whatever it was they agreed to pay him. In the UK you can take things like this through the small claims court but as far as I can tell you can't do that here?

Could someone point me in the right direction here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/781D7D5227918A618025715C004CAEF3?opendocument

Note european small claims procedure but IIRC there is a closer relationship between the Courts of England and Wales and the ones here. Perhaps ask in legal discussions (note the charter).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Moved from Work and Jobs - am picking the lads in E&BM have experience with this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Debts such as this are excluded from the small claims court system here. Give it to a debt collector if it is worth going after. If the debtor has no money, tell your friend to mark it down to experience and learn to get paid upfront in future!! No point in spending more to win, if is just going to cost more money with no cash return.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Small claims in Ireland won't be able to help your friend. Like the previous poster said if the debt is quite a decent amount it would be worth going down the road of a debt collection agency but it would not be guarenteed that your friend will end up getting his money. Why did he hand over everything without getting any payment. I think your friend will learn from this mistake and will have to write the money off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, I don't really know all the details just that he did some writing and they're not paying up. In the UK it seems you can go through the small claims with it but from what I could see here you couldn't. I just wanted to double check with someone who might know for sure.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll suggest the debt collection route to him but I suppose it depends on how much money it is he's owed.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement