Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Math Problem!

• 21-08-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I am trying to study for a maths test that I have coming up shortly but I am stuck on one f the questions:

The lengths (in seconds) of advertisements aired by a television chan- nel are normally distributed with mean 150 seconds and standard de- viation 22 seconds. What proportion of advertisements are:
    (i) shorter than 170 seconds

If anyone could help me or point me towards a website that can help it would be great!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

lkavo wrote: »
    I am trying to study for a maths test that I have coming up shortly but I am stuck on one f the questions:

The lengths (in seconds) of advertisements aired by a television chan- nel are normally distributed with mean 150 seconds and standard de- viation 22 seconds. What proportion of advertisements are:
    (i) shorter than 170 seconds

If anyone could help me or point me towards a website that can help it would be great!

Off the top of my head, a back of an envelope calculation would be as follows:

IIRC, 68% of a normal distribution lies between the mean +/- one standard deviation i.e. between 128 seconds and 172 seconds. Give the symmetry of a normal distribution, that would mean that 16% are below 128 seconds and 16% are above.

Therefore, an approximate % less than 172 seconds is 16 + 68 = 84%. The correct answer will be a little less than this.

Have a look here: http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/statistics-calculator/normal-distribution-calculator.php - it gives the probability of the ad being less than 170 seconds of 0.8186 i.e. 81.86% of ads are less than 170 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lkavo

Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement