Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Being Sued By Europe

Options
  • 21-08-2014 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

This is something interesting I found, there is an Austrian group suing Facebook Ireland for breaching that privacy laws/data protection.

Basically because Facebook Europe is headquartered in Ireland it must abide by European law which, this groups claims is not.

It already has over 60,000 supporters and the Irish court has 4 weeks to respond.

All the details are here and you can sign up here aswell.

Link to Silicon Republic where it's reported here.

So what do the people of AH think? Are you still even on Facebook?

Discuss :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I think it's great that people are doing something to stand up against the corporate overlords who think they have the right to snoop on every detail of our lives. I deleted my facebook two years ago.

EDIT:

Signed up, and then saw this :D
    With each current signatory expecting to receive €500 each, this would put the lawsuit at a total of €12.5m, which could rise if the lawsuit garners more claimants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I think it's great that people are doing something to stand up against the corporate overlords who think they have the right to snoop on every detail of our lives. I deleted my facebook two years ago.

EDIT:

Signed up, and then saw this :D

Yeah... That's definitely some incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

This is something interesting I found, there is an Austrian group suing Facebook Ireland for breaching that privacy laws/data protection.

Basically because Facebook Europe is headquartered in Ireland it must abide by European law which, this groups claims is not.

It already has over 60,000 supporters and the Irish court has 4 weeks to respond.

All the details are here and you can sign up here aswell.

Link to Silicon Republic where it's reported here.

So what do the people of AH think? Are you still even on Facebook?

Discuss :)

Yes hun xx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN!....

Deee deeee dEEEEE duuuuuu

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Its Only Ray Parlour

I signed up. Been on Facebook since 2009 and feel very exploited by them using my personal information!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

It's like suing tobacco companies after you get lung cancer
    I'm not on facebook because I like my privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

What exactly did people think was private about Facebook?

What exactly did people think was private about Facebook?

It's fair to sign up to the website and expect that they won't sell your information.
    Or track you even when you're logged out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

It's fair to sign up to the website and expect that they won't sell your information.
    Or track you even when you're logged out

I am seriously selling my shares in google if this wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

FB should be over 25's....
    No kids should have the availability to broadcast anything and everything(may it be about family or friends)all over the Globe..
    Anyway I don't have a FB account, I deleted about 3 years ago when a friend of mine posted a photo of himself giving the two fingers sideways across his chest, yeah he was 35 at the time... Bless him:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes hun xx

I said Facebook not Bebo boo :*

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Serves them right. If they are overstepping boundaries, they have to be punished

I wonder will this actually go through.

€500 from a multi billion dollar company sounds like a great thing :pac:

Will send them a string message too.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

How come you can't change your email address on FB? I don't have an a account, but a workmate was giving out about it yesterday and wrecking my head. I told him to contact FB and change his original email address but he said you can't. Seemed a bit weird I thought. Is FB that controlling, that you can't even change your own original email address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Signed up there, quids in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Dowl88

I just took a dump and mailed it to Mark Zuckerberg

Dowl88 wrote: »
    I just took a dump and mailed it to Mark Zuckerberg

Did you pay for express postage?

Hope he gets it soon the c*nt haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just curious --- who gets the money when sued ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

What if they counter sue and win?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,941 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Actually as its European headquarters are in Ireland as far as data protection goes it needs to operate by Irish laws, that is the European Law

• Advertisement

Doom wrote: »
    What if they counter sue and win?

They haven't a leg to stand on.

This group has proof that if you poke someone on Facebook and then unpoke Facebook still has a record of that happening even though they shouldn't.

I believe it's the same for a like or share.

That is not abiding by data protection laws.

They're trying to teach them that the NSA and all that stupid stuff won't cut it here in Europe.

Oh and if they win everyone gets €500 who participated :)

Win Win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

FB keeps a record of everything you type but dont ultimately post aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

FB keeps a record of everything you type but dont ultimately post aswell.

The like button also spys on you, reports back every page you visit that has a like button, don't even need to like the page, they know you visited it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

welcome the web. sites have been tracking people and using their personal information long before facebook arrived.

maccored wrote: »
    welcome the web. sites have been tracking people and using their personal information long before facebook arrived.

Name three sites that tracked you on sites they did not own, long before Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

This is the only social medium I have ever signed up to, more a lifetime lurker than a participator

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Me?

Lots of people on facebook don't understand privacy. If they did my interest would fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Banning Facebook would be a one stroke act of increasing GDP output by 15-20%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

The like button also spys on you, reports back every page you visit that has a like button, don't even need to like the page, they know you visited it

oh crap....Boards are in on it too. Dang Share and Tweet buttons at the top of each page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

ardle1 wrote: »
    FB should be over 25's....
    No kids should have the availability to broadcast anything and everything(may it be about family or friends)all over the Globe..
    Anyway I don't have a FB account, I deleted about 3 years ago when a friend of mine posted a photo of himself giving the two fingers sideways across his chest, yeah he was 35 at the time... Bless him:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Advertisement