Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected ebola case in LGH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fingers and everything else crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,625 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

May he RIP, but I doubt very much it will turn out to be Ebola.

Apparently if you die from Ebola, its very messy at the end, with a lot of blood coming from many different parts of the body. Don't think it would be in any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

yeah was reading up on it sounds very gruesome ,hopefully just ruling it out.
    looking on social media there aswell a lot of scaremongering going on.

I'm guessing its just the media with their usual hyperbole.
    They always think/want the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sky news are carrying the story so maybe there's a bit more to it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The HSE put out a statement and Sky News, who have lights somewhere that flash every time 'Elbola' or other key words are mentioned, saw it and ran with it. They don't know any more than Highland.

Did you see a few days ago when BBC News 24 did a report on a major incident during a boat race in some bad weather in Stanford Lough? It sounded like a disaster at the start with certain multiple deaths but ended up there were two minor injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I haven't been home for awhile, so I got a fright when I heard about this Ebola scare. Hopefully it will turn out to be a false alarm.

muffler wrote: »
    Sky news are carrying the story so maybe there's a bit more to it unfortunately.

Sky News? The masters of hyping up non-stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

hypothetical - Could he have died from maleria before the final stages of ebola?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

danniemcq wrote: »
    hypothetical - Could he have died from maleria before the final stages of ebola?

Jesus, he should have played the All or Nothing lottery if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Negative for Ebola according to RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0822/638696-ebola/

So it wasn't Ebola after all, typical sensationalist nonsense from the media.

Apparently there was a headline on an Irish tabloid "Irish man dies of Ebola".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

NIMAN wrote: »
    So it wasn't Ebola after all, typical sensationalist nonsense from the media.

Apparently there was a headline on an Irish tabloid "Irish man dies of Ebola".

That'd be the s*n, but what else do you expect from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

It might be naive, but is anyone else shocked that the Gardai had to move the media from the family home?

The poor man (RIP) didn't die of ebola - so what exactly was to be achieved by tormenting his family?

For that matter, if he had died of ebola - what was to be gained by tormenting the family, either?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

opiniated wrote: »
    It might be naive, but is anyone else shocked that the Gardai had to move the media from the family home?

The poor man (RIP) didn't die of ebola - so what exactly was to be achieved by tormenting his family?

For that matter, if he had died of ebola - what was to be gained by tormenting the family, either?

heard that yesterday not shocked but shouldn't happen

Questions must be asked about how this story got into the media in the first place. If it is true that his family weren't aware that ebola was suspected then the source would appear to be from the hospital. It should be possible to send samples for tests and keep a body isolated for a few hours without it becoming the subject of gossip that then appears in social media.
    I was also surprised to read that the man had been treated for another illnesss. His medical history should be confidential and it was nobody's business what he suffered from.
    His family have had a terrible loss and I can't imagine what they must be suffering as a result of this frenzy over a complete non-story. They deserve sympathy and respect for their privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

echo beach wrote: »
    Questions must be asked about how this story got into the media in the first place. If it is true that his family weren't aware that ebola was suspected then the source would appear to be from the hospital. It should be possible to send samples for tests and keep a body isolated for a few hours without it becoming the subject of gossip that then appears in social media.
    I was also surprised to read that the man had been treated for another illnesss. His medical history should be confidential and it was nobody's business what he suffered from.
    His family have had a terrible loss and I can't imagine what they must be suffering as a result of this frenzy over a complete non-story. They deserve sympathy and respect for their privacy.
    hse says they told some of the family according to daily mail

hse says they told some of the family according to daily mail

I'm more inclined to believe the family's priest than the Daily Mail. In fact I'm more inclined to believe almost anybody over the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

echo beach wrote: »
    I'm more inclined to believe the family's priest than the Daily Mail. In fact I'm more inclined to believe almost anybody over the Daily Mail.

that was the HSE that said that not the Daily Mail, the daily Mail just relayed it, the questions is whether you believe the HSE.

that was the HSE that said that not the Daily Mail, the daily Mail just relayed it, the questions is whether you believe the HSE.

Having had personal experience of how the HSE 'communicate' with relatives the answer to that question has to be, ''No''.

• Advertisement
Advertisement