Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop won't turn on.

Options
  • 21-08-2014 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Acer E1-571

My cousin's laptop. He said he dropped it off the bed or something. He can't really remember.
    Anyway, one of the hinges was broken (see attached pics), but it worked fine after that.

He lent it to another cousin, and when he got it back from her, it wouldn't turn on.

The light on the power button blinks 5 times, and then nothing.

I tried different (compatible) RAM in it, but got the same result.

319262.jpg

319263.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mate could it be the battery just wondering as i had the same problem on an older laptop wasnt used for a good while well heres the trick what i did was i just let it plugged in for a while and then when it the light came on saying it was fully powered i tried it again and it worked so turns out it wont power off the battery anymore for some reason (tried new battery and same thing) best of luck regards brian

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just tried it without the battery. No life at all with just the charger plugged in.
    Could be the fuse in the charger. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Did you try electrostatic discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Is there an SD card in place? Some laptops won't come on properly if there is a card or usb cable inserted.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Did you try electrostatic discharge?

I don't have the equipment.

woodturner wrote: »
    Is there an SD card in place? Some laptops won't come on properly if there is a card or usb cable inserted.

No to both.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    I don't have the equipment.

Unplug the charger and remove the battery, hold down the power button for atleast 60 seconds.

No joy. I just noticed that the light isn't coming on when the charger is plugged in.

No joy. I just noticed that the light isn't coming on when the charger is plugged in.

Can you try a different charger? Or wiggle it around maybe it is damaged.

Yeah, I tried that. Still no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Had similar problem recently with my Acer V5-472P. Was working fine, battery fully discharged & then would not power on, tried different adapter but no joy. Was still under warranty, shop returned to acer & they replaced motherboard. Btw it wasn't dropped or anything like that.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately this is no longer under warranty.
    I've just remembered that I recently replaced the power jack on a similar model.

I'll buy one of them and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Unfortunately this is no longer under warranty.
    I've just remembered that I recently replaced the power jack on a similar model.

I'll buy one of them and see if that works.
    Shop assistant told me the power jack was replaced when I collected it, but when I read the service report it said m/b was replaced.

Turns out the reason it wouldn't turn on was that there was less that 5% battery power.
    I managed to charge the battery in my own laptop, and it turned on.
    My guess is that the power jack is borked because none of the 5 chargers I tried in it worked.

Just updating in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
    It was indeed the power jack.

I replaced it, and it's working fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

good 1 mate u got sorted

Advertisement