Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&B near Greystones marina?

Options
  • 21-08-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of a B&B or other accomodation near to the marina?

I suspect many local B&B type places may not be on booking.com or other sites, and I really don't know the area well at all.

We're just looking for a few good value beds for one night next weekend if we can find them.

Ta in advance for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone know of a B&B or other accomodation near to the marina?

I suspect many local B&B type places may not be on booking.com or other sites, and I really don't know the area well at all.

We're just looking for a few good value beds for one night next weekend if we can find them.

Ta in advance for any tips!

There is one right by the harbour. i can't remember its name but i am sure it won't take long for someone to say

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

http://www.slievemorehouse.com

never been in so can't comment on what it is like.

I notice they didn't update the photos to show the new view ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thanks for the info - but full :mad:

As was the nearest other one, which they gave me contact details for :mad:

Next nearest one (and apparently only other one within walking distance of the marina) aren't answering their phone.

Think we may have left it too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Thanks for the info - but full :mad:

As was the nearest other one, which they gave me contact details for :mad:

Next nearest one (and apparently only other one within walking distance of the marina) aren't answering their phone.

Think we may have left it too late!

I think charlesland golf club used to have rooms. Might be a bit further away but might be worth checking it out.

Blingy wrote: »
    I think charlesland golf club used to have rooms. Might be a bit further away but might be worth checking it out.

Cheers, but a bit far away. Showing as a 30 min walk on google maps.

The idea is (was) to have a few pints and fall home to a bed from the marina area.

We have a plan B though, so not all is lost. But it just may not be as comfortable as a B&B bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Cheers, but a bit far away. Showing as a 30 min walk on google maps.

The idea is (was) to have a few pints and fall home to a bed from the marina area.

We have a plan B though, so not all is lost. But it just may not be as comfortable as a B&B bed!
    Happy Campers:eek:

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Happy Campers:eek:
    Not-so-happy sailors :eek:

I think I might have a bed sorted, though - well I hope I have! - so the rest can have the boat!

ETA - although.... there's all that grass up by the harbour..... is there access? Camping may not be such a bad idea!

Hmmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Not-so-happy sailors :eek:

I think I might have a bed sorted, though - well I hope I have! - so the rest can have the boat!

ETA - although.... there's all that grass up by the harbour..... is there access? Camping may not be such a bad idea!

Hmmmmm!
    Have you tried Butler's ?

http://www.butlersbandb.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

What aboout the YMCA place - no idea what it is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

There is a YMCA hostel within a few yards of the marina. They are quite upmarket do single/double rooms etc and apparently are very good. (Other sailors have stayed there for events in GSC and been very happy).

After that... well...I find a dry spinnaker quite warm myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Its the YWCA..

http://www.coolnagreina.ie/

Recently rebuilt, looks very nice

Alan_P wrote: »
    Have you tried Butler's ?

http://www.butlersbandb.com/

Yep, they were second on the list and full as well.
    Fiachra2 wrote: »
    There is a YMCA hostel within a few yards of the marina. They are quite upmarket do single/double rooms etc and apparently are very good. (Other sailors have stayed there for events in GSC and been very happy).

After that... well...I find a dry spinnaker quite warm myself!

Not sure the idea of a hostel would go down too well (although they are now talking about sleeping on the boat :eek:).

A dry spinnaker is a great idea in theory - but how often are spinnies dry? (especially when required to double up as bedlinen that evening!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Re YWCA Hostel / Coolnagreina:
    It's not a hostel in the traditional / "roughing" it sense of the word. So I wouldn't be at all hesitant to try it / recommend it. It was totally rebuilt within the last few years and from what I've heard, from people who've stayed there, it's very comfortable and pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Feckin hostel is booked out an' all!

Airbnb - although admittedly maybe I'm doing it wrong as I've never looked at that site before - is showing no matches whatsoever for Greystones.

The intrepid boat-dwellers are now baulking at the thought, and looking for a room as well.

Help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

The woodlands hotel in Bray is your only other option. About €10 taxi ride away and rooms approx. €70 per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    The woodlands hotel in Bray is your only other option. About €10 taxi ride away and rooms approx. €70 per night.
    Do you mean the Wilton ?

http://www.wiltonhotelbray.com/home.htm

Wasn't the Woodlands name 2 incarnations ago ?

Advertisement