Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spot Lights against Attic Insulation

Options
  • 21-08-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I'm putting in some mains downlighters. I'm happy enough with how to wire them as there is already an existing power supply there for the current light fitting. My question is - The area that the lights are going is in an extension done a couple of years ago and has a roof void that is not accessible. The roof void is full of that attic insulation stuff and there is no way to get up to move it out of the way, will it be a problem that the back of the GU10 bulb will be touching the fibreglass? I know the bulbs get very hot! I will eventually change to LEDs but for the moment I will be putting in GU10 halogen bulbs.

So, fibreglass insulation and GU10 bulbs... Can the mix?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Alaba320 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, I'm putting in some mains downlighters. I'm happy enough with how to wire them as there is already an existing power supply there for the current light fitting. My question is - The area that the lights are going is in an extension done a couple of years ago and has a roof void that is not accessible. The roof void is full of that attic insulation stuff and there is no way to get up to move it out of the way, will it be a problem that the back of the GU10 bulb will be touching the fibreglass? I know the bulbs get very hot! I will eventually change to LEDs but for the moment I will be putting in GU10 halogen bulbs.

So, fibreglass insulation and GU10 bulbs... Can the mix?

Thanks

No this is a major fire hazard.
    There are fire hoods that can be fitted through the cut out that will separate them.Then use led not gu 10 to keep the heat down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also make sure the bulbs are not near any wooden beams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not stick in LEDs from day one? The payback period is extremely good, they also have very little heat and hence are less of a fire hazard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

LED lamps now provide excellent light quality at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Use ic downlighters with a good led bulb, another huge advantage is most ic fittings are draught proof also which will be of huge benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Lighting-Products/SOLA-Fire-Rated-Downlighting.aspx

something from these guys, a fitting that is insulated, fire rated or one with the cage on it to allow heat to move away from the lamp. These will help the LED last longer.

I've used them two years no without a lamp going from 15 to 30 euro a fitting

I've carried out thermal imaging on it too and the cold spot on the insulated fittings is considerable smaller than the on on open back fitting.

Advertisement