Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new guy here, old on boards needs help (drogheda)

Options
  • 21-08-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Hi fellow fisherman's :)

long story short.. my brother came to visit ireland... and i would like to go for fishing with him ---> i wanna go for pike...

facts: i live in drogheda, i have a car, but sadly i dont have to much money to spend.. (i am proud father so my boy is priority, in terms of money)...

NOTICE: i don't take any fish, i catch and release only!!!

i am familiar with blesso and clondalkin canal.. but the distance and the fact that money are limited (petrol cost, licence etc..) are putting me off, and on another hand i wanna go elsewhere...

I wonder can you guys recommend me some lake, river, canal near drogheda, ardee or so where i could fish and enjoy the day? spinning only :) thats what i do.. i am asking you fellow boards members for a tips... i cant spend any money (extra) so fish for free is the only otpion for me atm.

thanks

Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Boyne at Oldbridge holds many species including pike. Muckno in Castkeblayney is great. Best to ask at a local tackle store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

The Boyne at Oldbridge holds many species including pike. Muckno in Castkeblayney is great. Best to ask at a local tackle store.

Thank you... i am going to try boyne canal... tomorrow.. for the next day i dont know yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

you can fish for pike on the boyne. Just make sure all your lures have single barbless hooks. I usually fish from end of canal at oldbridge where it meets the boyne. 10 min walk if you leave the car at obliesk bridge and follow footpath til you meet the river.

idnkph wrote: »
    you can fish for pike on the boyne. Just make sure all your lures have single barbless hooks. I usually fish from end of canal at oldbridge where it meets the boyne. 10 min walk if you leave the car at obliesk bridge and follow footpath til you meet the river.

I have never been there before yet.. but i will take your advice on board. Is there a reason for single barbless hooks a part of not hurting the fish? I mean a lot of green in the water or something? Just to mention i always use medical gloves while handling fish and i dont paly with them.. picture measure weight and back into water.. all 2 min...

Bikerguy wrote: »
    I have never been there before yet.. but i will take your advice on board. Is there a reason for single barbless hooks a part of not hurting the fish?
    tis all to do with salmon fishing being made a priority and the powers that be passing byelaws that were too lazy to do it all properly.
    You could use the lures plugs etc with the trebles but could be fined if caught. (would be a right prick that wouldnt let you off with a warning tho)

• Advertisement

tis all to do with salmon fishing being made a priority and the powers that be passing byelaws that were too lazy to do it all properly.
    You could use the lures plugs etc with the trebles but could be fined if caught. (would be a right prick that wouldnt let you off with a warning tho)

So basicaly no "rapalas" with tripple.hooks allowed on the canal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

the canals mightnt be good for spinning they're fairly over grow at this time of year, well the ones round my way are, maybe try surface lures like poppers, i caught a nice big jack on the canal two weeks ago on a weedless frog, great action watchin the pike goin for lures on the surface, its heart racing stuff, alto the hook up rate is low its still fun, try over reed beds and lily pads. its jus like spinning except ur lure doesnt sink

So basicaly no "rapalas" with tripple.hooks allowed on the canal?

no problem using them on the canal. its when you fish on the boyne beyond the canal that it needs to be single barbless hooks. alot of weed and lilypads along the canal atm so no point spinning there realle.

Well it may not be as atractive destination then for us... hm... i red something abour the carrick lakes not far from ardee... i like to cast and go... walk and enjoy kinda fishing... i dont like to be standing... canals is my favourite destination... but if a lot of green and bushes around it may not be ideal...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about rose hall reservoir I landed a pike there about 20 years ago

• Advertisement

What about rose hall reservoir I landed a pike there about 20 years ago

think its controlled by the drogheda and district angling club now

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Well it may not be as atractive destination then for us... hm... i red something abour the carrick lakes not far from ardee... i like to cast and go... walk and enjoy kinda fishing... i dont like to be standing... canals is my favourite destination... but if a lot of green and bushes around it may not be ideal...

What about the Boyne canal at navan?

think its controlled by the drogheda and district angling club now

Ended on dromore river in ballybay.. jesus what a savage day.. got 5 pikes.. one 4kg one.. a monster... and 4 medium size.. all went happy back to water... one was little injured.. she ate the lure... ;( i was trying my best to not to hurt her.. but it was so deep...

Now one question.. last one.

Can you take a pike away from there? Is anyone familiar? As when i caught the big one they were few people around (irish) and they asked me if i am taking her home.. i said no... one of them was almost crying to take her himself and other lad was saying that is prohibited to take any fish at all...

Can you guys clear that out for me? Can you or can you not take a pike home from Dromore River?

And my brother was flipping over.. what a way to show him the real beauty of Ireland.. really amazing day..

Or if you can post me a link to some law regulations about fishing i will be extremly happy.. as i cant find anything about dromore

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm, theres too many fish bein takin out of the rivers so the right thing to is put them back we've enough people takin all types of coarse fish illegally to eat without adding to the problem. brought my young lad for a walk up all the canal today and there was more life in a graveyard that wat we seen in the canal today!!

http://www.fishinginireland.info/regulations.htm, theres too many fish bein takin out of the rivers so the right thing to is put them back we've enough people takin all types of coarse fish illegally to eat without adding to the problem. brought my young lad for a walk up all the canal today and there was more life in a graveyard that wat we seen in the canal today!!

No offence.. but i am not eating fish.. at all.. maybe a fish fingers yes.. but thats about it.. i understand the current estate.. all i wanted to know if its legal.. i can actualy stop someone tsking fish if i know that its against the rules... and i care.. yes its rare but i do.

Edit: thank you for the link. So it must be smaller then 50cm or no more then 0.75kg of flesh.

I wasnt havent go at you, i was jus giving my opinion on keepin fish, u can ring inland fisheries ireland, if u see something goin on and they might send a bailiff out. its gone to **** where i am wit eastern europeans keepin fish, not all of them do but a high percentage do, i go down there sometimes and disposable bqs left on the ground and fish scales all over the place, seen a fella wit a bucket full of roach puttin them into the boot of his car the other night. i told him its illegal to take that many, he jus shrugged his shoulders and gave the stupid i dont understand english look!!

I live in mornington.. just where the boyne enters the sea.. the amount of rubish here from people camping and having partys is unreal.. from time to time when i go for a walk with my dogs i am taking back home big black bin bag full of cans and rubish home.. i know what ya mean.. but having said that... its not the eastern people or forein.. its the regulation.. where i come from you can take a fish home yes.. 2 a day.. but first.. you have to pay money to have licence.. everywhere.. and second you need to attend mandatory "public service hours" where you clean the surounding areas or help the stock grow.. and the local authorities are restocking the lakes and rivers.. there is nobody fishing without licence.. its the system setup that is wrong..

In all my fishing time i spend here in IE i met one single warden.. in Bleso.. but he never checked.my car or gave a me question if i caught anything.. he checked my licence and went off..

Having said all that.. the current estate of some lakes is indeed very poor...

I am not going deeper into this theme but if you can take free pike home lets say 48cm (which is medium size) it means for some people free meal.. i am not defending the butchers.. but some fishermans are taking the fishes home to eat them and enjoy them.. its not like sea fishing where they clear all coasts from all life.. and throw back dead bodies of milion of creatures that they have no use for them..

Excuse typos.. writting from phone on the go

I no wat u mean, a free meal or not they shouldnt be doing it, i meet a polish fella who does a good bit of coarse fish every now and then at the river. He tells me that theres **** all fish in poland because people see fishing as a free meal instead of recreation, only the other day he told me that he had to stop a fella empting out his keep net into a bucket to bring home, he told me there was 20lb of roach and a few small bream in the net, alto he still took a few in the end but a lot less than the whole thing, i watched a matt hayes programme on youtube where he goe to poland to fish on a lake, the owner of the lake tells him theres only 3 r 4 lakes in the whole country that do catch and release, they fish his lake for 2 days and all they get is a jack pike!! thats wat happens when ya keep takin fish out of rivers and lakes...

Update. Its illegal to take any fish in Ballybay waters. I sended email to Ballybay angling club. Respon is clear. Fishing is free but no fish to be taken away...

Advertisement