Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

recoverying i phone 4 pictures

• 21-08-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

tonight my mrs stupidly left me in charge of trying to sort a bug problem with her i phone 4 s, i was in middle of copying photos off it and i think i hit restore, the i phone went into new phone mode, and now all the photos have gone. i tried i cloud but there not on there, my i phone 4 is connected but not hers. please help , shell kill me, all childrens photos are on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Check if you made a backup on iTunes, or on iCloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Zcott wrote: »
    Check if you made a backup on iTunes, or on iCloud.

she never plugs phone in on i tunes, luckly i made a back up of pictures back in dec but since then its been knowwhere near a computer, i checked all i cloud, only my phone and my apple tv is connected to that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Sorry for possible hi-jacking your thread, but just a similar question on this,

When I sign into icloud online (icloud.com), my contacts are there, but not my pics, I understand and get that if I take a pic with iphone that I can see it on ipad through icloud and same with pc if connected up. However am I right in saying that let's suppose I ended up in NY without my phone/laptop that I actually have no access to these pics as they aren't actually saved on icloud.com?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Sorry for possible hi-jacking your thread, but just a similar question on this,

When I sign into icloud online (icloud.com), my contacts are there, but not my pics, I understand and get that if I take a pic with iphone that I can see it on ipad through icloud and same with pc if connected up. However am I right in saying that let's suppose I ended up in NY without my phone/laptop that I actually have no access to these pics as they aren't actually saved on icloud.com?

You are right, no access to them from iCloud.com.

For the OP, you might be out of luck but do check your iTunes to see if it made a backup. It'll start backing up as soon as you plug in, which I assume you did to take pictures off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You are right, no access to them from iCloud.com.

For the OP, you might be out of luck but do check your iTunes to see if it made a backup. It'll start backing up as soon as you plug in, which I assume you did to take pictures off it.

i just went straight into drive and dragged them off, but as they were copying i phone unplugged itself and restored itself. Everybody in house is cool now, all the important photos are on facebook so we can copy them off there, weve only lost a few. we ve learnt from this and we get wiser.

thank you all for your help, :0)

• Advertisement

When you're restoring it again make sure the phone is backing up to iCloud. It's important!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

When you're restoring it again make sure the phone is backing up to iCloud. It's important!

True, but it's important to know what iCloud does not backup. For example, it only backs up the Camera Roll in photos - not your full library...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

theothernt wrote: »
    True, but it's important to know what iCloud does not backup. For example, it only backs up the Camera Roll in photos - not your full library...

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12519?viewlocale=en_US

And only the last 1000 pictures. But camera roll encompasses pretty much everything unless you copy over pictures manually from a computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Sorry now for jumping in in thread but I'm a bit confused (nothing new there)

My photos are stored on my iphone4.
    My photos are also stored in iCloud.
    If I lost/broke my phone tomorrow can I access those photos without my current phone?

I don't use iTunes really so I'm not sure if I should be doing something else on iTunes to ensure I have photos. One post in the thread has confused me.

Thanks again and I'm glad op that Facebook had saved your most important photos:)

Lisha wrote: »
    Sorry now for jumping in in thread but I'm a bit confused (nothing new there)

My photos are stored on my iphone4.
    My photos are also stored in iCloud.
    If I lost/broke my phone tomorrow can I access those photos without my current phone?

I don't use iTunes really so I'm not sure if I should be doing something else on iTunes to ensure I have photos. One post in the thread has confused me.

Thanks again and I'm glad op that Facebook had saved your most important photos:)

Your most recent 1000 photos are stored in iCloud, and if you lost your phone and got a new iPhone, you could restore those 1000 photos no problem. However you can't access them from iCloud.com or another phone that isn't an iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Your most recent 1000 photos are stored in iCloud, and if you lost your phone and got a new iPhone, you could restore those 1000 photos no problem. However you can't access them from iCloud.com or another phone that isn't an iPhone.

That is great thank you Zcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

I think you're confusing the iCloud backup with Photo Steam, which stores the 1000 most recent photos.

Assuming you have enough space in your iCloud account for all the photos and videos in your Camera Roll, they should all be backed up.

(is there was a limit of 1000 items, the official support page would say so)

Advertisement