Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice on which heating option to go with?

• 21-08-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi

I am just about to start a renovation and extension project on a detached house.

The house will require a full replumb. At the moment it is heated by means of oil central heating and rads.

So I am looking at 2 different options for the heating and was wondering if anyone could advise which they deem better. The 2 options are:

1) Have large non boiler stove in openplan kitchen and living area plus gas central heating with rads throughout house

2) Have a boiler stove which will heat open plan area and maybe rads in the bedrooms with oil central heating system

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi

I am just about to start a renovation and extension project on a detached house.

The house will require a full replumb. At the moment it is heated by means of oil central heating and rads.

So I am looking at 2 different options for the heating and was wondering if anyone could advise which they deem better. The 2 options are:

1) Have large non boiler stove in openplan kitchen and living area plus gas central heating with rads throughout house

2) Have a boiler stove which will heat open plan area and maybe rads in the bedrooms with oil central heating system

Thanks,

Probably option 2 with zoning too. How big is your house

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Probably option 2 with zoning too. How big is your house

Its approx. 2900 sq. ft. The stove will be used to heat a large open plan kitchen and living area and using some of the calculators available online I need about 12kw for that alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

My advice would be to insulate well enough to get your heat requirements down as low as you can afford. Pay particular attention to you living area. Then zone it as well as possible, each room having its own zone if possible (or as close to that scenario as possible). After that I would go for a non boiler stove with enough capacity to heat living area and also put a few rads in there for the times that you don't want to light the stove or to just have the place warm when you come in.
    Then gas heating if you can get natural gas, otherwise oil.

Of course there are alternative heating methods to be considered. But whiten the confines of your original post, that's my opinion for what its worth.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Plum Bob

option 3 would be to use a system called a "T_FIRE-R" which would let you use both your oil boiler and your boiler stove. The benefits of this system is that you could use your oil boiler as normal however if you lit your boiler stove at the same time and it reached a certain temperature it would automatically shut down the oil boiler and give preference to the stove to heat the whole house as the oil was doing. Also zones can be safely wired into too.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Wearb wrote: »
    My advice would be to insulate well enough to get your heat requirements down as low as you can afford. Pay particular attention to you living area. Then zone it as well as possible, each room having its own zone if possible (or as close to that scenario as possible). After that I would go for a non boiler stove with enough capacity to heat living area and also put a few rads in there for the times that you don't want to light the stove or to just have the place warm when you come in.
    Then gas heating if you can get natural gas, otherwise oil.

Of course there are alternative heating methods to be considered. But whiten the confines of your original post, that's my opinion for what its worth.

Thanks. We do have access to natural gas. I would love to be able to consider other options such as geotherrmal etc but our budget is tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Plum Bob wrote: »
    option 3 would be to use a system called a "T_FIRE-R" which would let you use both your oil boiler and your boiler stove. The benefits of this system is that you could use your oil boiler as normal however if you lit your boiler stove at the same time and it reached a certain temperature it would automatically shut down the oil boiler and give preference to the stove to heat the whole house as the oil was doing. Also zones can be safely wired into too.

Can you give me some info on this system? I'm looking to install a dual fuel system before the winter and would be interested to find out a bit more about T_FIRE-R...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Plum Bob

its sold by a company beside the red cow in Dublin called E-Z heating solutions, Its basically a heat exchanger with a pump and some thermostats. Ive only installed it once and found it very efficient as you don't get circulation through the boiler thats not being used.
    using the heat exchanger your stove will heat the primary flow and return in your main heating system. If you google "T_FIRE-R" you'll see a schematic of the system
    Contact Details

E-Z Heating Solutions Ltd.
    St Anthony's Business Park,
    Turnpike Road, Ballymount,
    Dublin 22.

Tel: 01 4640333
    Mob: 086 0577679

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Plum Bob wrote: »
    its sold by a company beside the red cow in Dublin called E-Z heating solutions, Its basically a heat exchanger with a pump and some thermostats. Ive only installed it once and found it very efficient as you don't get circulation through the boiler thats not being used.
    using the heat exchanger your stove will heat the primary flow and return in your main heating system. If you google "T_FIRE-R" you'll see a schematic of the system
    Contact Details

E-Z Heating Solutions Ltd.
    St Anthony's Business Park,
    Turnpike Road, Ballymount,
    Dublin 22.

Tel: 01 4640333
    Mob: 086 0577679

Thanks for the details, I'll send them an email now and get the ball rolling. I have a small two bed cottage in Kildare and currently rely on oil for heating but would prefer a dual fuel system.
    Roughly, how much would it cost in total to install...??

Advertisement