Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever used Kickstarter before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Links234 wrote: »
    Giving some serious consideration to putting a little something towards this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog

Has anyone here ever backed something on kickstarter? If so, do you feel like it was worth it?

I kick started a badger once. He f---ing loved it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I kick started a badger once. He f---ing loved it .

Admit it, you never actually did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭chuckyarelaw

Admit it, you never actually did that.

Of course I did. I also one time kick started an albino squirrel that has psoriasis on his right leg.

Of course I did. I also one time kick started an albino squirrel that has psoriasis on his right leg.

Your first claim was ridiculous from the start, seeing as you can't "kick start" an animal, and a badger would give you a pretty nasty nip. But with the claim of kick starting an albino squirrel that has psoriasis on his right leg, now you've convinced me of your awesome animal kickstarting prowess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Looking at that link, I have to say that that was the least boring investment presentation I have ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yeah, gave a few quid towards the restoration of a classic drive in movie place, they were forced to change to digital like all theatres now. They are up and running. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

I backed something before, I wouldn't do it again. It's a lot easier for someone to say what they want their thing to be rather than make it how they want it to be.

I would just buy that when it comes out. People get lazy when they get a large amount of cash and security, I bet you if they don't get funded they'll still make it anyway because of the big interest in it.

**** it, I did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I still dislike Zach Braff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

**** it, I did it.

Congratulations - you're in the business we call "show", and you're a player.

• Advertisement

I still dislike Zach Braff.
    I'm not fond of him either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I can understand investing to get a product or service, but to see a cartoon? No thanks...

smash wrote: »
    I can understand investing to get a product or service, but to see a cartoon? No thanks...

How is it not a product or service? Same guy who directed Sword of the Stranger which I'm a big fan of, so if this gets funded I'll be pretty happy. I might not get to see it for more than a year, but it's still paying for a product, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I backed a robotics project. They're doing good business now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not kickstarter but backed using a similar idea for a band and a charity

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I almost put some money on a lucid dreaming mask called Remee which seemed pretty interesting.
    Almost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

smash wrote: »

anime cartoon (its a very large sub culture) and movies dont fund themselves, hence the existence of hollywood, but holliwood only cateers for hte masses, so kickstarter is great for subcultures to actually do something big without relying on big investors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Threw in a few quid at the start of the SmartThings project. Great bunch of people doing innovative things with mobile technology.

shane9689 wrote: »
    anime cartoon (its a very large sub culture) and movies dont fund themselves, hence the existence of hollywood, but holliwood only cateers for hte masses, so kickstarter is great for subcultures to actually do something big without relying on big investors

The anime industry is very interesting, and there's an awful lot of talent. I'm amazed that Makoto Shinkai made his first movie Voices of a Distant Star entirely by himself, all the animation, everything, him and his girlfriend even voiced the main characters until they got professional voice actors. The kickstarter is for a completely new production company too, and the people involved are amazingly talented, the animation studio being ex-Production IG folks (Ghost in the Shell), the director as I mentioned before was the guy who did Sword of the Stranger, the producer worked on Steins;Gate! This is like an anime dream team.

But at the same time, there's plenty of really awful anime, like really terrible pandering crap. I could complain that there's not enough serious, intelligent anime and that it goes underappreciated, and moan about crappy fanservice filled rubbish, or (as I decided to do tonight) I can fund the kind of thing that I like. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've made a few pledges for various indie game developers, they deserve it - **** the likes of EA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup backed a game and a book about a game :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Backing this at the moment

Fantastic quality for a fan project and they have gotten actors from BSG and DS9 as well. The 20 min trailer is well worth a watch.

Lot better than JJ's version IMO. Plus they're massively above target so it looks like it will go ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What happened with Anita Sarkeesian, did she ever get around to completing her videos?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    What happened with Anita Sarkeesian, did she ever get around to completing her videos?

LOL yes and they were absolute garbage considering the amount of money she raised for them. Whats more entertaining are the videos that completely rip apart her arguments and that these people didnt have to ask for money from a bunch of people to do them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

Yup but usually for things like comics books that are already done and the money is needed for the printing and shipping costs. I'm much more wary of backing something that doesn't exist yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, I've backed a few.

Oculus Rift
    Sega Megadrive Collected Works book
    Artcade book

The Rift was obviously a great one to back as the dev kit absolutely blew me away.

Megadrive collected works book should be out soon, they just got the green light from Sega to publish.

Artcade book - has gone through serious printing issues (the guy who owns the kickstarter idea got ripped off by a printing company) so I'm a bit worried about that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Backed games mostly. Also backed the ouya which I really don't use enough, and a couple of fan film ideas, all of which got shut down :)

I like it though, I like the idea of people getting to answer to all their backers and helping steer Production

Not a chance. Even the new practise of selling "Early Access" games is crazy. A small minority of developers have sold their games as "Early Access", with the promise of it eventually reaching its full potential, only to stop development entirely. What a scam. I will vote with my money and avoid such purchases ever again.

Not a chance. Even the new practise of selling "Early Access" games is crazy. A small minority of developers have sold their games as "Early Access", with the promise of it eventually reaching its full potential, only to stop development entirely. What a scam. I will vote with my money and avoid such purchases ever again.

Good luck its fast becoming the preferred model even big studios are getting in on it now.

You simply need to be more careful and discerning about who you give your money to which in the end will mean better games as developers will need to work harder to convince people they deserve money

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Early Access, but I think that's more because of the way I buy games these days, I wait for Steam Sales, Humble Bundles, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

My kid brother is finally following his dream

He & a co-operative of writers, artists, inkers etc., launched the first Irish comic to receive critical acclaim & it is doing considerably well on the global market

Check it out...Lightning Strike Comics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

With movies and stuff could they not just pre-sell copies of it to get the money needed ?

I see the only hard copy on the page there is a BlueRay DVD, soundtrack, some other stuff for backers who chip in $100. That's a damned expensive special edition DVD, specially given nobody knows if its any good or not and they might only stretch to one 24 minute episode. $10 will only get you the trailer and its $20 for the download.

Advertisement