Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano gear shifters rattling

Options
  • 21-08-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I've recently purchased my first road bike, but the right hand side gear shifter is constantly rattling when cycling on roads other then roads with smooth tarmac. It's more annoying than anything especially when I'm doing longer distance rides. The shop that I bought the bike from said this is normal for the type of shifter that is on the bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

I think there's something in this.
    I had a rh 6700 ultegra shifter that did the same thing.
    I just bought a new bike, problem solved.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have an iritating rattle from my left (front) shifter - Shimano Claris. I've been back to my LBS twice trying to get it resolved but apparently very little can be done.

I must strip it down myself sometime and see if I can do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

It's the brake lever. Make sure there is tension in the brake cable, take up any slack with the barrel adjuster on the brake caliper.

I did this with my Shimano Claris set up. No dice. It still rattles like fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Feck a load of honey in there. I did that once, sorted. Shifted OK too. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ocoshane

Do you think I have a case bringing the bike back to the shop asking for a new gear shifter, since I bought it brand new?

ocoshane wrote: »
    Do you think I have a case bringing the bike back to the shop asking for a new gear shifter, since I bought it brand new?
    You do and I might do the same before my warranty runs out. My only concern is that it will be a waste of time as the replacement lever will most likely behave identically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

but the right hand side gear shifter is constantly rattling when cycling on roads other then roads with smooth tarmac.
    What kind of shifters are they?

After a few years of use, replacing the STI cap/name plates helps stop some of the rattling on rough roads.

310OsKCs8VL._SY355_.jpg

If it is brand new, bring it back. Maybe something loosened up. Did the sioppa offer a 100mile adjustment? In my neck of the woods they usually do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

It could be the outer cables hitting off each between the handlebars and downtube. Try holding them together with zipties.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

I get this problem with my shifter's occasionally, I traced it to the inner wire sticking to the outer wire and the brake not able to return to tension. I solved it with lubricating the inner wire, but will at some stage have to replace the cable sets on both bikes. One way to check if this is the cause is after pulling the brakes and if the levers are loose and rattling is to pull out the calipers and retention the brake system. Check then if the levers are loose or rattling.

• Advertisement

It'd be nice if everybody could mention the type of shifters they have that are giving this problem.

I've Shimano Claris.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fazer1

I have Shimano Ultergra and also Dura Ace and suffered the same problem with both, it is worth mentioning that the problems started after using the bikes during poor weather over time! As crosstownk mentions take the system apart, it took me dismantling the entire brake system including the calipers apart and then reassembling to see the problem still there and then upon a closer look discovered it was the brake cables. Incidentally imo the pinch point seems to be where the inner wire exits the outer wire at the barrel adjuster. However I would advise lubricating the entire inner wire as much as possible.

I've resolved my rattle in my Shimano Claris levers. It's caused by a metal spacer that sits behind a plastic cover. The spacer isn't secured to anything and this appears to be how it's designed.

I came across the solution on twospoke and it works. It took me about 10 mins to do on each lever as it can be a bit fiddly to get the two bits of plastic back into the correct position. It also helps to tie the lever to the drop bars while you work.

See link below - post #15. It works and my bike is now rattle free!!

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f30/shifter-rattle-14408/index2.html

EDIT: Here's the photos in full size to save you having to register with twospokes. I'd have posted the photos earlier but I only had my phone so posting photos was hassle - it's much easier from my desktop :)

This is the screw you need to remove - it's tiny so don't loose it. Use a magnetic screwdriver if you have one and store it safely until you need to refit it. A magnetic screw driver makes all the difference when refitting.
    IMG_1609.jpg

Then the spacer is here - over the nut with nothing securing it so just remove it:
    IMG_1610.jpg

The poster from twospokes put some grease on it which may prevent rust. I'd no grease so I used Vaseline. If you have neither then maybe smear it with chain oil or just leave it.
    IMG_1611.jpg

Then just reassemble but be careful when realigning the two plastic bits.

Advertisement