Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 3rd Round

• 22-08-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭

Friday 22nd August
    7.45pm
    Cork City vs Bohemians
    Derry City vs Malahide United
    Dundalk vs Galway
    St Patrick's vs Shelbourne

8.00pm
    Shamrock Rovers vs Longford Town
    Wexford Youths vs Finn Harps

Sunday 24th August
    2.30pm Ballynanty Rovers vs Drogheda United
    3.00pm St Michaels vs Avondale

Dublin derby vs Shels for us. Reasonably confident for this. While Shels are a useful 1st division side, I think our quality should see us through although I would be a lot happier if Hoare was starting CB instead of Foran.

Tie of the round is probably Cork vs Bohs which is a tough one to pick out a winner I think it would more likely to be Cork to win but Bohs beat them not too long ago. Derry, Dundalk and Drogheda should get through fairly comfortably. Wexford being at home might be just the advantage they need to go through against Harps. If there was to be a shock result I would go for Longford against Shams. I dont know enough about St Michaels or Avondale to have any predictions for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Cork should beat Bohs fairly easily, despite recent wobbles. The interesting ties are Rovers v Longford (though Longford have been wobbling themselves) and Derry v Malahide. If it was in Dublin I'd tip a home win, but even so I think they might force a replay like Bluebell did.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Cork clearly strong favourites, as they should be. A draw and a replay back in Dalyer (pitch notwithstanding :P) would be a decent result.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd not be surprised to see Bohs get a result in Cork, their away form overall is good. Until recent weeks, away is the only place they've won...

Longford and Galway depend upon what Rovers and Dundalk sides are put out. If Derry put out near their regular eleven, they'll surely blow Malahide away..unless they re-appoint Roddy for one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kksaints wrote: »

Dublin derby vs Shels for us. Reasonably confident for this. While Shels are a useful 1st division side, I think our quality should see us through although I would be a lot happier if Hoare was starting CB instead of Foran.

Remember last time we played in the Cup, we were First Division...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2011/1016/286095-shelbourne_stpats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If we are as wasteful and spineless as Monday, Bohs are progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We'll be in a bad way if we can't progress v Malahide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

dfx- wrote: »
    Longford and Galway depend upon what Rovers and Dundalk sides are put out.
    I think even our second eleven have enough to see off Galway. Same team we put out against Wexford should be ok.
    Gabriel Sava; Ciaran O’Connor, Simon Kelly, Mark Rossiter, Manuel Kaguako; Keith Ward, Ruaidhri Higgins, Donal McDermott; John Mountney, Mark Griffin; David McMillan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Did a search on tvguide.co.uk and there were no games being televised. I had hoped that tonight's game between Pats and Shels would be on somewhere! Alas..no! :(

DenMan wrote: »
    Did a search on tvguide.co.uk and there were no games being televised. I had hoped that tonight's game between Pats and Shels would be on somewhere! Alas..no! :(
    Good news. There are still tickets available to see the game LIVE. Do it. Much better than watching on television. Thank me later.

Pighead wrote: »
    Good news. There are still tickets available to see the game LIVE. Do it. Much better than watching on television. Thank me later.

If I was in Dublin I would Pighead. In Sligo right now!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    If I was in Dublin I would Pighead. In Sligo right now!
    Get a bus to Dundalk at 5 and watch the Dundalk V Galway game. Cheer on the town as they crush your noisy neighbours. You can stay in my place.

Get a bus to Dundalk at 5 and watch the Dundalk V Galway game. Cheer on the town as they crush your noisy neighbours. You can stay in my place.

Teaching this evening! Thanks for the offer though! Enjoy the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Remember last time we played in the Cup, we were First Division...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2011/1016/286095-shelbourne_stpats/

Oh I havent forgotten but we are a better team than 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I hardly care at all about our match tonight, main thing is no injuries. Really don't need the extra games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think even our second eleven have enough to see off Galway. Same team we put out against Wexford should be ok.
    Gabriel Sava; Ciaran O’Connor, Simon Kelly, Mark Rossiter, Manuel Kaguako; Keith Ward, Ruaidhri Higgins, Donal McDermott; John Mountney, Mark Griffin; David McMillan.

Galway are capable of an organised disciplined performance better than UCD/Bray/Athlone and even Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

c'mon st. Micheal's

dfx- wrote: »
    Galway are capable of an organised disciplined performance better than UCD/Bray/Athlone and even Bohs.
    They are third in division one and have recently lost to Wexford Youths and Shels. Our second team smashed Wexford Youth a few weeks ago. Our fringe players will be busting a gut to try and impress the manager and play a part in the title run in. I'll be surprised if we don't win this one relatively comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pat Sullivan and Ricer back in Tallaght after their goal scoring heroics in Europe a few seasons ago. I wonder will they receive a nice welcome?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Omackeral wrote: »
    Pat Sullivan and Ricer back in Tallaght after their goal scoring heroics in Europe a few seasons ago. I wonder will they receive a nice welcome?!

Really lookin forward to this game!first time in tallaght too! Luas stop nearby?

Sorry yeah I'm guessing you're already there but it stops at the Square Tallaght. Bohs 1-0 up on Cork, Dinny Corcoran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did not see that coming. :eek:

Expected a hiding tonight.

Cork 2 - 2 Bohs

Would have taken that before kick off. Quietly confident we can get a result against them at Dalyer..... if it's playable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

I hardly care at all about our match tonight, main thing is no injuries. Really don't need the extra games.
    yea but we will travel with a bit more confidence in a few weeks. altho galway could finish what remains of our challenge before that.

what did Dee get his second yellow for? timewasting or dissent?... either option is a bit idiotic tho...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Disappointing result should have battered them in the 1st half, story of our season tbh. Shels defended well but our finishing was poison, liked Shels number 16 Connolly he looks handy. our 11th back 4 combination of the season :/

Few pats fans arrested for the best tbh was going to get seriously nasty after the game.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Few pats fans arrested for the best tbh was going to get seriously nasty after the game.

What happened D?

What happened D?

Shels fans chanting "all the way to poland, to have a heart attack" the guy who found Chris in the hotel room was arrested along with a few others. Gardai done well before and during the match when "fans" gathered in the apartment block behind the shed with throwing items dunno about after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bohs should of won tonight... Missed a open goal and all..

Corks peno was harsh on Bohs, was not a penalty. still keep our hopes alive though I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I thought it was a penalty myself. But, still, we robbed Bohs. No way did we deserve a draw from that. Bohs should have won by a few goals, which they will on Monday.

Presumably they'll make absolutely sure that the pitch will be ready for Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

overshoot wrote: »
    yea but we will travel with a bit more confidence in a few weeks. altho galway could finish what remains of our challenge before that.

what did Dee get his second yellow for? timewasting or dissent?... either option is a bit idiotic tho...

Fairly sure it was timewasting. Shocking game to watch, sooooo much playacting. Finn Harps are welcome to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Worst result possible for Shels. Would have rathered losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

872s9s.jpg-large

10320908_767963693243086_2367623092835006836_o.jpg

We have the exact same amount of titles that you do since we entered the league.

Shels win most retarded banner of the week award.

"we all in the gutter but some of us earned our *(star)"

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

I won't lie, I thought it said "We're all in the gutter but some of us have drugs". That they do, Shels, that they do.

I won't lie, I thought it said "We're all in the gutter but some of us have drugs". That they do, Shels, that they do.

Now thats good :D

Theres a job opening in Shels for banner writer you should apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

We have the exact same amount of titles that you do since we entered the league.

And we've the same number of titles as Wexford Youths since they entered the league.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And we've the same number of titles as Wexford Youths since they entered the league.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bring that banner to your next game in whatever league you play in vs them.

Shels fans brilliant double use of a **** banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

That's what i thought it said :D
    Shelbourne need to cull a few from their following very quick.They are not supporters! That chant tonight was vile.Those people responsible for "that chant" are not supporters! Pi&s off da fuq and dont come back !!

The best thing for us tonight was losing 3-0,shels have to play Tuesday and we play them Friday,hopefully run all over them in last half hour!staying back for 20minutes singing in tallaght was fun as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shels fans chanting "all the way to poland, to have a heart attack" the guy who found Chris in the hotel room was arrested along with a few others. Gardai done well before and during the match when "fans" gathered in the apartment block behind the shed with throwing items dunno about after.

Horrible horrible chant, but when it comes to nasty songs about dead people Pats could do with looking a bit closer to home before judging.

Ideally nobody would do it, with that said.

flas wrote: »
    The best thing for us tonight was losing 3-0

Winning would have been better than playing your first team and getting hammered, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Fairly sure it was timewasting. Shocking game to watch, sooooo much playacting. Finn Harps are welcome to it.

Worst game of football at Ferrycarrig Park for years. At half time, I thought we could fix what we were doing wrong and we did, to some extent. When we went 2 down, my fear was that we could end up drawing the game and face a journey on Tuesday to Ballybofey for a replay.

Anyway, a bad day at the office for a usually sound group of players. Lets hope that's the dip out of the way. Good luck to Harps in the next round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kksaints wrote: »
    If there was to be a shock result I would go for Longford against Shams

Got your first division shocks mixed up a bit there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

been a lot of play acting all year in games between the 2. since furlong got cowan sent off in the first game of the season i dont think theres any love lost between the 2 squads

CSF wrote: »
    Winning would have been better than playing your first team and getting hammered, no?

First team got a good run out,had good spells in the game and now have a weeks recovery, we should have scored one, at a push two of our chances could have gone in, id say the team will take confidence from their performance and the fact they will be so much fresher for shels on Friday which is biggest game of the season.

First team got a good run out,had good spells in the game and now have a weeks recovery, we should have scored one, at a push two of our chances could have gone in, id say the team will take confidence from their performance and the fact they will be so much fresher for shels on Friday which is biggest game of the season.

You'd be equally fresh if you'd won, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Disappointing result should have battered them in the 1st half, story of our season tbh. Shels defended well but our finishing was poison, liked Shels number 16 Connolly he looks handy. our 11th back 4 combination of the season :/

We held out brilliantly, would have preferred losing rather than a replay tbh! Connolly will be gone unfortunately come November, most likely free to a someone in England, chap is a gent and excellent players.

Nothing was thrown over :confused: afterwards nothing happened, Guards made us walk all the way to Heuston while 3 vans, a jeep, Garda dog unit, couple of undercover cars and about 15 guards on foot followed. Some lad going nuts outside Taveys after trying to bring 10 Pats fans inside. :pac:

Nothing was thrown over :confused:

Because the gardai actually did something about it. Dunno if you seen the group that gathered behind you.

CSF wrote: »
    You'd be equally fresh if you'd won, no?

yes we would have been,i see your point,but at the end of the day the important stuff is next Friday!

yes we would have been,i see your point,but at the end of the day the important stuff is next Friday!

Definitely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bohs 1 up against Cork in the replay. Dano Byrne with a potentially season ending injury though. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement