Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI Cup 3rd Round

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Too many grounds falling apart - Tolka

Tolka is up in the air, no one knows the situation yet and if we're moving, etc... in the near future. No point spending thousands only for it to be knocked, thousands we don't have may I add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Where did the nonsense of "oh, you get a free ground" in relation to leasehold property come from, anyway? You don't see homeowners saying to people who rent "oh, you have a free house", do you?

From City's point of view, we pay a substantial fee to the MFA each year for Turner's Cross. I can't remember the exact amount, but I don't think €30,000 would be too far off (well, in the sense that we're not paying hundreds of thousands, but it's far more than a nominal fee). For that amount, we do not have exclusive use of the stadium. We get it for about 20 matchnights in the year. The MFA use it for their offices, other matches (for which they can earn more) etc. So, €30,000 - 20 days. At that rate, for exclusive use for 365 days, you'd be talking in the region of half a million per annum. (And it's not as if it's a full 24 hours, either - as far as I remember, the MFA finish up at lunchtime on a Friday and we get it for the rest of the afternoon/evening.) Compare that with clubs who own their ground, who can run fundraising events (eg, Bohs have done a few concerts over the years), and they can also have their own bar.

Because of not having use of the stadium for 345 days in the year, we have to have offices elsewhere. We rent Bishopstown for the offices and training pitch for another substantial amount, on a year-by-year contract. We pay for its maintenance and what not, without knowing will we even have it a few months later (there's actually planning just gone up by the owners to knock the stadium and redevelop). So, we're very limited with what we can do with that, too.

That's a lot of money to be paid out which, in turn, pays for the upkeep and upgrading of the stadium and interest to the owners by way of their profit. That's far from free.

Looking likely our match tomorrow against Longford is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Looking likely our match tomorrow against Longford is off.

Due to knackered floodlight transformers?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Due to knackered floodlight transformers?

Just been told there in the last 20 mins that the FAI sent their electrician, two other issues with the lights were found. Unlikely it will be sorted by tomorrow, FAI made the call to call it off and match won't be able to be played on Sat/Sun due to matches on in Croker.

Just been told there in the last 20 mins that the FAI sent their electrician, two other issues with the lights were found. Unlikely it will be sorted by tomorrow, FAI made the call to call it off and match won't be able to be played on Sat/Sun due to matches on in Croker.

At least there's a decent bit of notice. Hopefully the issue is rectified sooner rather than later. Don't need any fixture congestion in the run in.

...not called off just yet I've been told.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

By what measure? Fenlon by any measure is more successful than Kenny.

By looking at the League table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

dfx- wrote: »
    This sums up a lot of issues in the LOI. Oriel is indefensible..

In relation to Oriel Park, up until a few years ago it was owned by a local family who leased it to Dundalk, has that arrangement changed, i.e. have DFC bought it outright or is it still a case of them being tenants? I was aware they actually owned the lands/pitch to the rear of the shed but vaguely remember talk of a swap deal or suchlike about 4 or 5 years ago.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Longford Town FC ‏@LongfordTownFC 8m
    Longford Town have agreed to the bringing forward of tomorrows crucial League game in Tolka Park.The match will now kick off at 5;45p.m

I would hope Pats tell them to go **** themselves if the same offer is made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I would hope Pats tell them to go **** themselves if the same offer is made.
    Pretty sure it'd be the FAI they'd be telling that to. This hardly suits us either.

CSF wrote: »
    Pretty sure it'd be the FAI they'd be telling that to. This hardly suits us either.

Forfeit home status? neutral ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

2 52 seaters booked and full from longford due to be leaving at 5:15 tomorrow,now its all up in the ****in air due to peoples work commitments,how could shels not get this fixed all week!?an absolute shambles!I really really hope it was the fai who made the clubs play it tomorrow at that time and the town didn't just agree to it to be ****in nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Dearest match tickets in the 1st division and they can't afford a decent electrician.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Dearest match tickets in the 1st division and they can't afford a decent electrician.
    Yeah, Wexford fans definitely get to look down on us. Wexford fans. Jesus.

flas wrote: »
    2 52 seaters booked and full from longford due to be leaving at 5:15 tomorrow,now its all up in the ****in air due to peoples work commitments,how could shels not get this fixed all week!?an absolute shambles!I really really hope it was the fai who made the clubs play it tomorrow at that time and the town didn't just agree to it to be ****in nice!
    To be fair, its not a Shels thing, the FAI have been doing everything possible to get them fixed and get this on, but it appears the issue is serious enough.

Rest assured, this could happen to Longford or pretty much any team in the league. I mean its clearly not a money thing, because getting it fixed after a much reduced gate tomorrow isn't gonna be any cheaper than it was yesterday.

Happened to City a few years ago. The MFA decided to undergo some work on the floodlights on the week of a match. It had to be moved forward to half 6 (it was the end of May). Mervue were the other team involved, so there weren't busloads of away fans inconvenienced, it shows that early kick offs on a Friday can be forced to happen. (Even on Good Friday, one or two teams tend to play afternoon kick offs, for some reason). It's sh*te, and I'd be beyond pissed off it affected me going on away trip, but it happens. It should have been checked out earlier, as it was reasonably foreseeable that it could affect tomorrow after what happened on Tuesday. But, the end result would still probably have been an early kick off.

I can't see how Pats would have much of a say in the Cup replay. Shels are the home team, so it's their call. They can have it whatever time they want, within reason. They don't have to suit the away fans.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

I can't see how Pats would have much of a say in the Cup replay. Shels are the home team, so it's their call. They can have it whatever time they want, within reason. They don't have to suit the away fans.

We can rightly refuse to play at that time cos (HAHAHAHAH) our players cant get off work.

Same way Longford could have, but didnt......

Shels should either forfeit the game/home advantage/ neutral ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kenny has won 1 league title, Fenlon has won 5. Kenny's came while managing a Bohs side who were the 2nd biggest spenders in the league. His second is probably going to come while managing a team who are still at least 2nd biggest spenders in the league.
    You are seriously downplaying Kenny's influence this season. He came into a club that was on it's knees, barely avoiding relegation playing in front of a crowd who hadn't seen decent football played in Oriel in twenty years.

To build a team in a couple of months that challenged for a league last year was unbelievable. Think Louis Van Gaal and the situation he has inherited and multiply it by 100. The guy is a genius and has an ability to create football sides that play some of the most attractive football in the country.

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote: »
    You are seriously downplaying Kenny's influence this season.

You are seriously downplaying moneys influence on this season.

You are seriously downplaying moneys influence on this season.
    No I'm not. There have been plenty of managers who have come into already established teams with big budgets and failed. If managing was just about who has the biggest budget we could all do it. You make it sound as though Dundalk are spending far and away more than any other team. Not the case.

The team Kenny built from scratch last season was one of the finest achievements in League of Ireland history.

The team Kenny built from scratch last season was one of the finest achievements in League of Ireland history.

The team Buckley built from scratch last last season was one of the finest achievements in League of Ireland history......yawn....Money....simply money did it.

Following instruction from the FAI received at 7:45 this evening; and to facilitate Shelbourne F.C, Longford Town’s crucial League game in Tolka Park will now kick off at 5;45p.m tomorrow evening.

WOW this should be in the LOI thread. Guess longford didnt agree after all.....best of luck FAI on monday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

No I'm not. There have been plenty of managers who have come into already established teams with big budgets and failed. If managing was just about who has the biggest budget we could all do it. You make it sound as though Dundalk are spending far and away more than any other team. Not the case.

in League of Ireland history? I was agreeing with a lot of what you were saying until that.

The team Buckley built from scratch last last season was one of the finest achievements in League of Ireland history......yawn....Money....simply money did it.
    You mean when he dragged a struggling Pats side all the way from 4th place up to 3rd? I think I'll still tip my hat towards Kenny transforming a club on it's knees who barely avoided relegation into title contenders.

Corholio wrote: »
    in League of Ireland history? I was agreeing with a lot of what you were saying until that.
    It does sound a bit ott alright but I suppose you have to be a Dundalk fan to realise how low we were when he came in. The club was broken and on the verge of extinction. 2013 was a glorious season for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

You are seriously downplaying Kenny's influence this season. He came into a club that was on it's knees, barely avoiding relegation playing in front of a crowd who hadn't seen decent football played in Oriel in twenty years.

To build a team in a couple of months that challenged for a league last year was unbelievable. Think Louis Van Gaal and the situation he has inherited and multiply it by 100. The guy is a genius and has an ability to create football sides that play some of the most attractive football in the country.

I'm a fan of Kenny. He had a shocking second season at Bohs but he was arguably outdone by his own sucess the first season. The football we played was magnificent. To see Glen Crowe and Paul Keegan link up front the way they did, to see Bobby Ryan and Mark Rutherford horror defences with their runs down the wing and to see Hunt and Caffo dominating the centre was just magnificent. An absolute joy to watch!

Most definitely in retrospect firing him was the wrong decision. Farrelly followed by Connor were just disasters.

Medals on the table though Fenlon is definitely the better manager without a doubt. If he stays in the league long enough he will set unbeatable records in management here! Fenlon built magnificent teams at Shels and Bohs and unfortunately I think he's exactly what Rovers need.

Kenny certainly has potential to be a big Irish manager at home or abroad. If both stay in the league, and with a lot of new managers in the LOI, it could be a fantastic few years for the LOI.

WOW this should be in the LOI thread. Guess longford didnt agree after all.....best of luck FAI on monday :)

Just hope the FAI electrician gets it sorted, along with the two other issues that cropped up. Out of our hands and it will be out of your hands whether to agree or not, have a read of the licensing manual, I'm fairly certain they have it covered like everything else.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Happened to City a few years ago. The MFA decided to undergo some work on the floodlights on the week of a match. It had to be moved forward to half 6 (it was the end of May). Mervue were the other team involved, so there weren't busloads of away fans inconvenienced, it shows that early kick offs on a Friday can be forced to happen. (Even on Good Friday, one or two teams tend to play afternoon kick offs, for some reason). It's sh*te, and I'd be beyond pissed off it affected me going on away trip, but it happens. It should have been checked out earlier, as it was reasonably foreseeable that it could affect tomorrow after what happened on Tuesday. But, the end result would still probably have been an early kick off.

Stop talking sense. Your ruining the outrage for some people.

We can rightly refuse to play at that time cos (HAHAHAHAH) our players cant get off work.

Same way Longford could have, but didnt......

Shels should either forfeit the game/home advantage/ neutral ground.

If Pats had a home replay against Cork City, Derry City, Finn Harps etc., would ye allow it to kick off at ten o'clock to accommodate working players? Or if some players worked nights, would ye be up from a 7am start?

Pats are on notice as of yesterday that this match might kick off early. That's an extra day to get time off work for the replay compared to players of teams that don't have the luxury of having "away" trips a few miles down the road (eg, City playing with Bohs last Monday).

The only way they should forfeit home advantage is if the pitch is unplayable or the stadium is deemed unsafe.

CSF wrote: »
    Yeah, Wexford fans definitely get to look down on us. Wexford fans. Jesus.

In many, many ways, we do, yes

• Advertisement

In many, many ways, we do, yes

That's funny because you have no reason to.

That's funny because you have no reason to.

Obviously, I think we have or I wouldn't have posted it :rolleyes:. I think we are better in many (never said all) areas than Shels are at present. Anyone would think I asked you to agree with me.

Gutted :( Pats were there for the taking tonight, definitely know why they're not challenging for the League anyway, struggling against a First Division side on a budget which probably amounts to Fahey, Byrnes and Forresters wages.

Same old story battered a team created chance after chance and only scored 1. Quigley just isnt a striker in this system can only be Fagan/Flood type player.

Forrester and Fahey were unreal tonight, Fahey has been outstanding the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Same old story battered a team created chance after chance and only scored 1. Quigley just isnt a striker in this system can only be Fagan/Flood type player.

Forrester and Fahey were unreal tonight, Fahey has been outstanding the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Hardly battered, you's pished the ball around midfield but made little use of it. We held our own and gave you's a game unlike in Richmond. Think you're being a bit biased there dreamers...

Yeah you really didn't do anything resembling battering us!!!

Obviously, I think we have or I wouldn't have posted it :rolleyes:. I think we are better in many (never said all) areas than Shels are at present. Anyone would think I asked you to agree with me.

Ok well you can hang onto those thoughts when you finish outside the top 3 again

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Gutted :( Pats were there for the taking tonight, definitely know why they're not challenging for the League anyway, struggling against a First Division side on a budget which probably amounts to Fahey, Byrnes and Forresters wages.

Well this clears up any questions I had.

Well this clears up any questions I had.

I think an Extratime.ie neutral is the best view:
    Shelbourne 0 - 1 St. Patrick's Ath
    90' + 2' - Full Time - The game has ended between Shelbourne and St. Patrick's Ath. That's it from Tolka Park here as Pats just about manage to get by Shelbourne with the home side in truth being the better side throughout the contest.

Or maybe RTE:
    St Patrick’s Athletic have advanced to the quarter-finals of the FAI Ford Cup after recording a rather fortuitous 1-0 win against Shelbourne at Tolka Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Pats fans had a banner that read 'Football without fans is Shels', and there was about 15 Pats fans around it, at a Dublin Derby, in the Cup, against one of their older rivals.

I found that funny.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Pats fans had a banner that read 'Football without fans is Shels', and there was about 15 Pats fans around it, at a Dublin Derby, in the Cup, against one of their older rivals.

I found that funny.

Said fans obviously didn't see their game against UCD.

Said fans obviously didn't see their game against UCD.
    If ever there was a club with delusions of grandeur its Pats.

Am I right in saying they're the least successful of the Dublin clubs (excluding UCD?).

Obviously if you're looking up stats you should ignore that title they have included on wiki that they actually came 3rd in.

CHealy wrote: »

I found that funny.

Poor chaps had a bit of proper lifting it up too. Off the top of my head they had an extra 50 odd fans in their home League match against UCD (786) and Limerick (711) while we played bottom placed Cobh (661) on the weekend previous. Now UCD or Limerock wouldn't have a huge following but I'd say there would of been a handful of them while Cobh generally have one fan in Tolka, yes one!

Poor chaps had a bit of proper lifting it up too. Off the top of my head they had an extra 50 odd fans in their home League match against UCD (786) and Limerick (711) while we played bottom placed Cobh (661) on the weekend previous. Now UCD or Limerock wouldn't have a huge following but I'd say there would of been a handful of them while Cobh generally have one fan in Tolka, yes one!
    Jesus Gavin, next you'll be telling them we've won 5 more leagues and 5 more cups than them.

Tbh your lucky Fagan was injured and you have a decent keeper.

Impressed with Connolly last time out but last night the amount of diving he was doing was a bit OTT.

Tbh your lucky Fagan was injured and you have a decent keeper.

Impressed with Connolly last time out but last night the amount of diving he was doing was a bit OTT.

He has been like that a while, hasn't been the same player since all the trials in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Tbh your lucky Fagan was injured

:confused:

He played in the first match.

You scored the same amount of goals that night as you did in the replay.

From the Shels match, brilliant call lino.......

From the Shels match, brilliant call lino.......
    Pity the linesman's eyesight isn't as good as Forresters first touch. Has to be the most skilful player in the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement