Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Problem

Options
  • 22-08-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I just wanted to ask someone who did engineering whether is it manageable to get good results in first year if I would have to commute approx. 2 hours everyday. I am a bit worried as I didn't do physics in LC and just got B1 from HL Maths this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭La Mer

I was going to ask the same question you asked as i live in the north side and is about 1.5 each way by bus. I'm worried this might effect my studies and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

As long as you're willing to put in the work you should be fine. I'm coming to the end of my biochemistry degree and have been comuting for 1.5-2 hours each way the whole time while staying active in a few societies and getting good grades. Its not ideal, especially if you're trying to have a social life too, but its doable, and it will be fine in first year anyway. If the difficulty in engineering is anything like in science you probably won't start to notice it until third year.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Plus one on what kronnn said. I had friends do that sort of commute in first year and they got on ok.

Physics is meant to be designed so that you can start it from scratch so as long as you put in the work there you should be ok. It is tough but not impossible so don't worry about it.

First year is a nice start to Engineering after that depending on what stream you go into its gets tougher but I've managed to get into final year so if I can anyone can! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

In the first year of college I commuted two hours each way. I made the most of it by using the library, computer rooms, doing work during free periods, sourcing textbooks etc as well as doing work on the journey home. It was exhausting and I did not have a social life. However, if you are willing to put the effort in in terms of course work, you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Commute time + laptop/tablet + wifi = study time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

From my experience first year engineering in UCD is not difficult and I know lots who commuted and done very well

Advertisement