Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth - Pale Communion (AUG 25th Release)

• 22-08-2014 3:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭

Only a few days till new album release.....

It's streaming on Metal Ireland now (Won't work in N.Ireland)

http://www.metalireland.com/2014/08/18/opeth-stream-pale-communion-in-full-on-metalireland/

Not great I feel, certainly not rubbish but don't get the same power from the band as before Heritage which I think is slightly better in fact so imagine it wouldn't be the cup of tae if you weren't a fan of that release.

Going to the Roundhouse gig and initial thoughts are I hope its similar to last tour and play only 2-3 new tracks and get the classics in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,459 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

On Spotify, will be in shops today.

I love this side of Opeth, wish could make a show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

I've been listening to it for a few weeks now and I think it's an absolute peach. My album of the year so far :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I don't know if this'll be opening a can of worms or not, but I don't think Opeth have done anything good since Ghost Reveries :o

get-out-no-seriously-just-get-out.jpg?w=820

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Links234 wrote:
    I don't know if this'll be opening a can of worms or not, but I don't think Opeth have done anything good since Ghost Reveries 

I wouldn't say they've no good material but I do think they lack some of the punch or consistency from after Ghost Reveries. I liked Heritage and Watershed, and the new album is ok. But they're just a lot more forgettable to me compared to the older stuff.
    The first and last tracks on Pale Communion are the only ones that caught my interest so far.
    It's a shame cause I love Opeth so much, might just have to admit they don't do it for me anymore.

Still I'd rather them keep evolving than rewrite the same albums again and again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Maybe I should've said that I haven't really enjoyed their albums post-Ghost Reveries. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I like Heritage a lot and play it fairly often.

I've listened to Pale Communion a couple of times so far and it hasn't had the same impact yet, there are some tracks that stand out, I'll see what happens after another few spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Picked it up today.
    Liking on first listen. Diverse.
    Puts me in mind of a trainee King Crimson :-)

Tickets booked to see them in Bristol , 10th Oct. :cool:
    Disappointed no Dublin show on the winter tour but loving this album so had to go see it live somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Totally in love with the album.
    It took about 8-9 listens to click for me though.

Going to see them in London seeing as the unusually left us out this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

RayCon wrote: »
    Tickets booked to see them in Bristol , 10th Oct. :cool:
    Disappointed no Dublin show on the winter tour but loving this album so had to go see it live somewhere.

Was initially thinking of fitting the Bristol date in too but due to work wasn't able plus this place is just about 40 minutes from Bristol...:eek::eek:

tumblr_mpnck70b2z1rw872io8_r1_500.jpg

SUPPORT CONFIRMED FOR THE TOUR TODAY:
    http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=105951

Tomorrow week :D .... starting to get fizzy balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't know if this'll be opening a can of worms or not, but I don't think Opeth have done anything good since Ghost Reveries :o

This seems to a widespread opinion, though I enjoyed Watershed and liked Heritage for what it is. Haven't given the new one a listen yet.

Taken from Opeth FB page
    ”So. we’re gearing up to go out on our first tour in support of ”Pale Communion”. As always, there’s mixed feelings. Parts of me wants to stay home, and the other part wants to go out and rip it up on stages all over the world. That’s always been the case. We’re all very happy with the new record, and the new songs (were rehearsing 5 of them) are sounding good when we play them. If I may say so myself. Overall there seem to be a little bit more focus on older heavier material this time around. We sat down, drank wine and discussed songs we wanted to play, and ended up with a list of 30 or so songs. We’re rehearsing a song from 1996 and it’s probably the funniest one to play. I don’t know why. Maybe because it brings back memories. Some older songs are difficult to get right but nothing compared to the new stuff. We can now choose songs from the 90’s AND the 2000’s. We’re getting old! Anyways, come and see us, whydontcha?
    Might be worth it. Metalheads, progheads, music lovers, old and young, male or female. You’re all very welcome!
    Cheers!
    Mikael, on behalf of Opeth"

1996, so a song from Morningrise.God I would only die if it was Black Rose Immortal.
    I am beside myself with excitement and its only Tuesday........

Nea wrote: »
    1996, so a song from Morningrise.God I would only die if it was Black Rose Immortal.
    I am beside myself with excitement and its only Tuesday........

Ah here can't wait!! out of interest though I had to have a gander at the last time songs from Morningrise were played...

Advent - 2010
    The Night... - 2009
    Nectar - 2000
    Black Rose Immortal - 1996
    To Bid You Farewell - 2004

I'll be easily pleased no matter what they play off that album though to be honest :D:D

Sipping a pint in Bristol , ready for tonight, gonna be epic - will be gutted if Faith In Others from the new album doesn't get played.

Sipping a pint in Bristol , ready for tonight, gonna be epic - will be gutted if Faith In Others from the new album doesn't get played.

Gonna be so hard to resist gawking at setlist from tonight before London 2moro.

Hope it's in the pub directly across from the venue. Remember being in there for QotSA, seeing Troy walk past and half the pub look round, get up to go and meet him, but he's in venue by the time we got out. Nice little spot. That and I'm very jealous you're seeing Opeth right about now.

Fans of old Opeth material are going to be very happy with the setlist. I'll say no more

Fans of old Opeth material are going to be very happy with the setlist. I'll say no more

Christ that was amazing. Seriously savage setlist. The Roundhouse is such a beautiful venue. I really expected more from Pale Communion but am not complaining at all. Mendez looked all wrong with short hair especially for all the old stuff played.Grow it back man!

• Advertisement

Christ that was amazing. Seriously savage setlist. The Roundhouse is such a beautiful venue. I really expected more from Pale Communion but am not complaining at all. Mendez looked all wrong with short hair especially for all the old stuff played.Grow it back man!

I really expected more from Pale Communion

... as did I ... Hope they pop up in Dublin in the new year.

The Roundhouse was splendid, easy to get to too only a matter of metres from Chalk farm tube stop, although wasn't sure what to make of it when in there at first sound seemed a tad low for Alcest. Not the case when Opeth took the stage thankfully.

Set ideal for me too think only 2 tracks remained in the set since I last saw them in Vicar Street 2 years ago which is a great Testament to their body of work....that and given the fact that a lot of their songs hover around the 10 min mark I guess.

Seemed to botch start of The Grand Conjuration well maybe botch is too harsh but there was so much feedback goin on, prefer Deliverance midway through set also but those are non-issues really they played a song off every album bar Orchid, so many highlights immense show.

also Raycon you're not the only one I actually thought same bout song couldn't put finger on it but saw video on youtube from Bristol was defo Elysian Woes which was played at London too, shows I must get more acquainted with new album, new songs sounded great live I must say.

Also echo the call for a show here next year perhaps a stop over round the time they are due to play Bloodstock.

also Raycon you're not the only one I actually thought same bout song couldn't put finger on it but saw video on youtube from Bristol was defo Elysian Woes which was played at London too, shows I must get more acquainted with new album, new songs sounded great live I must say

Yeah I agree the new stuff sounded excellent live. I would have happily listened to the entire album had to chose to play it. Got confused with Elysian Woes and Faith In Others due to the newness of the material and eh ... having taken one or two pints on board :o:D

Seriously good band live.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

Did they play Blackwater Park for the encore ?

Apocalypse wrote: »
    Did they play Blackwater Park for the encore ?

No didn't, encore was Deliverance

Posted on the bands Facebook Page;

Imagine it means Ghost Reveries 10th Anniversary show like they did with Blackwater Park?

Hard to believe it's already that old!

Would be quite tempted venue only holds close to 2,300 though.

They may play Dublin this time, and Baying of the Hounds live...yes please!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Posted on the bands Facebook Page;

Nothing showing up for me?

Guessing it's meant to be this

10409585_10152884788378410_2470538127907056332_n.jpg?oh=145ef23e7eca32f9db47b93101a920bf&oe=54E3E778&__gda__=1423049261_ed9395c1ce79eac8bbbae11cd2aecfe3

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

10409585_10152884788378410_2470538127907056332_n.jpg?oh=2637f3bf504962f53fd6256e1d20ea54&oe=54DBE8F1&__gda__=1424066378_03b273cfc445cba3e88c068ba84ff800

Advertisement