Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salvation at last!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anybody have an idea who it is? Is the 45 acre site the one that is been set up in next to the Holy cross or do they have different land earmarked for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Fairly sure it is the land opposite the Westside business park with the steel railings.

Thatd be some coup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

If the City Council are putting up cash to level the site they must be fairly confident that the deal can be inked.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Fingers crossed could be the lifeline the city needs.
    Major vote of confidence for pharma production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Nypd wrote: »
    Fingers crossed could be the lifeline the city needs.
    Major vote of confidence for pharma production.

Yeah, its potentially excellent. Hopefully it all goes according to plan. as one poster said, we have heard promises before. Not trying to be negative but im always happier when i actually see contruction boots on the ground.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can't comment more but this has the potential along with the Michael Street development to be a game changer for Waterford City. This company visited Waterford during my term as Mayor & are a major multinational Pharma company. As I've said before it takes time for such itineraries to materialise and more don't than do but NuVasive is one that has and I'm hopeful this will be a second from during my term. If it is realised it will cement Waterford as a major location for Pharma, Bio Pharma & Life Sciences with companies like Genzyme, Teva, Nyrpro, Baush & Lomb & home grown Eirgen!

A quote from one of the local reps, Cllr John Cummins who would have been Mayor at the time.

Would be a huge boost to the local economy if they managed to strike a deal and a company that would have huge potential going forward for further investment and growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The way people seem to be going on about it you'd swear the deal was signed and they were starting next week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The way people seem to be going on about it you'd swear the deal was signed and they were starting next week.

Can't but get excited. I've been watching the United transfer window all season and this is the closest to excitement I've got! :P

Everyone is speaking in hyndsight to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Does anybody know who it is? it says they are not in the south east so we can take it they already operate somewhere else in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Let's pray.

But it will be intersting whatever happens. Interesting comment from the IT which says its puts Waterford as a viable "alternative" to Cork. That won't go down so well in Leeside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Lets just hope that all goes well!

Does anybody know who it is? it says they are not in the south east so we can take it they already operate somewhere else in Ireland

Best not to mention it. All we can do is cross our fingers and toes and pray. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Aren't there enough drugs in Waterford already?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

Has anyone any idea what company this is? Pfizer or j&j would be my initial guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Could it be Servier who were planning to build a factory down in Belview port nearly 10 years ago?
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/french-pharma-company-plans-155-jobs-for-belview-1-2158141

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

I don't know but I do know that servier plant ended up as an extension to the existing arcklow plant. I think it was something to do with Kilkenny co.co being too slow to provide facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Fugs!! wrote: »
    I don't know but I do know that servier plant ended up as an extension to the existing arcklow plant. I think it was something to do with Kilkenny co.co being too slow to provide facilities.

Imagine that !
    At least it's firmly in the hands of Waterford this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

We will need to get loads of KK Reg folk to fill the managerial posts in this new pharma co. The low skilled operative type ones for the Deise lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Plenty of well-educated people in Waterford & plenty more Waterford people who have had to leave who'd be delighted to come home to fill these jobs.

Great news for Waterford City & County and the entire South-East, hopefully no hiccups & construction will get under way soonish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea what company this is? Pfizer or j&j would be my initial guesses.

I'm hearing it is a Chinese client.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Wasn't there a case before of Waterford losing a big investment like this because someone opened their big gob about it ahead of time. A reporter or councillor or someone like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Road-Hog wrote: »
    We will need to get loads of KK Reg folk to fill the managerial posts in this new pharma co. The low skilled operative type ones for the Deise lads

All hogs like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wasn't there a case before of Waterford losing a big investment like this because someone opened their big gob about it ahead of time. A reporter or councillor or someone like that?

I can't imagine that would happen. The IDA and these companies know how to go about these things without spilling the beans to the village idiots. If they couldn't keep the name a secret, that's their own fault. IMO, if the name is provided to a reporter or councillor, then it might as well be on the front page of the paper or in a thread on boards.ie! :D

People the world over love to gossip - it's not just a Waterford thing. If a business decision to locate somewhere makes sense, then a premature leak of information, while causing problems, wouldn't change the decision IMO.

It's much more likely that we just weren't picked... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

7upfree wrote: »
    All hogs like yourself.

You are assuming that I'm KK reg?...........I was informed before by some sophisticated KK contributor that the majority of managerial positions in plants/factories etc. in the Waterford Industrial Estate are held KK folk.

With regard to the early leaking of a company name being responsible for a decision reversal about setting up in a particular area/county/country, I just couldn't see that being the sole reason. Can you imagine some CEO of a major Pharma Co. or whatever being so pissed off about the company name being leaked that he/she would reverse the decision having probably spent significant monies examining the feasibility of setting up. It is probably more likely that they were not 100% happy with the IDA financial support/grants or what ever..............not down to gossiping Councillors, TD's or journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

You are assuming that I'm KK reg?...........I was informed before by some sophisticated KK contributor that the majority of managerial positions in plants/factories etc. in the Waterford Industrial Estate are held KK folk.

With regard to the early leaking of a company name being responsible for a decision reversal about setting up in a particular area/county/country, I just couldn't see that being the sole reason. Can you imagine some CEO of a major Pharma Co. or whatever being so pissed off about the company name being leaked that he/she would reverse the decision having probably spent significant monies examining the feasibility of setting up. It is probably more likely that they were not 100% happy with the IDA financial support/grants or what ever..............not down to gossiping Councillors, TD's or journalists

You were worse to listen to him.:) Sorry for confusing you with the aforementioned!

Okaaay... so did this person do some sort of official survey?

I know from my own workplace in Kilkenny that there are about equal numbers of KK and Waterford folk in senior positions, but that only accounts for about half of the management team. Another quarter or more would be from Dublin/Kildare/Wicklow, and the others include people from England and further afield.

And this is for a place that's actually in Kilkenny remember... so I'm calling BS on that statement unless your contributor can point to some sort of source. :cool:

From Tom Lyons of the Irish Times:

https://twitter.com/TomLyonsBiz/status/505105829176287233
    "Breaking a good fdi story tomorrow. Important news - hope every stop pulled out to make it happen."

https://twitter.com/TomLyonsBiz/status/505107287393177600
    "waterford related. Have a name to add to a story I wrote last week."

• Advertisement

Huge risk publishing the name surely? Good seriously damage negotiations?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement