Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Blessington

• 22-08-2014 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I am looking for an advise on Blessington. We are thinking of buying a property in DeerPark in Blessington. Is this quite and safe estate for a family with child?

We both drive, I work in Tallaght and my husband works in Dublin 22. How is the N81 in the winter?

I can see that UPC doesnt provide the broadband in that estate? Any advise on broadband provider?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bode

Blessington is lovely place, ive been leaving here for 4 yrs now.i lived in dublin for 8yrs, wouldnt live anywhere else i dont know much about deerpark i usually walk past it, its quiet enough but blessington generally is safe. N81 is bit dodgy during winter snow but u can always get the bus.
    Upc broadband is not available here. you can get eircom, vodafone or sky broadband, speed up to 12mb. fibre broadband is due in december.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

angro wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for an advise on Blessington. We are thinking of buying a property in DeerPark in Blessington. Is this quite and safe estate for a family with child?

We both drive, I work in Tallaght and my husband works in Dublin 22. How is the N81 in the winter?

I can see that UPC doesnt provide the broadband in that estate? Any advise on broadband provider?

Thank you.

Lived in Deerpark, Blessington for 10 years and was mostly happy.
    Wasn't too happy about my car being stolen twice and my tyres slashed numerous times, but is that down to the area?
    I don't know.

Found myself feeling like an outsider at times and the pubs can be a bit cliquey, but it's nice enough.
    I always felt I was living in the country, though, which is a negative for me as I'm a city girl.

I had Eircom broadband which was fine.

The 65 bus is not as frequent as buses in Dublin.
    Roads can be hazardous when it snows but Blessington looks beautiful in winter.

All in all, I reckon you're safe enough but you might want to keep a close eye on your car if my track record is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Bang_Bang

fussyonion wrote: »
    Lived in Deerpark, Blessington for 10 years and was mostly happy.
    Wasn't too happy about my car being stolen twice and my tyres slashed numerous times, but is that down to the area?
    I don't know.

Found myself feeling like an outsider at times and the pubs can be a bit cliquey, but it's nice enough.
    I always felt I was living in the country, though, which is a negative for me as I'm a city girl.

I had Eircom broadband which was fine.

The 65 bus is not as frequent as buses in Dublin.
    Roads can be hazardous when it snows but Blessington looks beautiful in winter.

All in all, I reckon you're safe enough but you might want to keep a close eye on your car if my track record is anything to go by.

I live close to Deerpark, and I have never heard of any of this kind of stuff going on. I'm living in blessington 10 years now. Maybe I have my head stuck in the sand, but I really haven't heard of people slashing tyres etc.. back in the good times I do remember people hearing about people going into estates to see was there motorbikes that they could pick up and put into the back of a van. But what you're describing sounds awful. As for Deerpark, seems more of an upmarket estate than others!? was this over the 10 years you lived there or all within 1 or 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Bang_Bang wrote: »
    I live close to Deerpark, and I have never heard of any of this kind of stuff going on. I'm living in blessington 10 years now. Maybe I have my head stuck in the sand, but I really haven't heard of people slashing tyres etc.. back in the good times I do remember people hearing about people going into estates to see was there motorbikes that they could pick up and put into the back of a van. But what you're describing sounds awful. As for Deerpark, seems more of an upmarket estate than others!? was this over the 10 years you lived there or all within 1 or 2 years?

I wouldn't call any area of Blessington "upmarket", to be honest.

My tyres were slashed over the space of four years.

I know it's coming across like I hate the place; I don't. I had happy times in Blessington.

I just want people to be vigilant; if being vigilant stops it happening to you, I'll be glad.
    And don't get me wrong, I know crime happens everywhere, so I don't mean it to look like I'm tarring one area all the time.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I wouldn't call any area of Blessington "upmarket", to be honest.

My tyres were slashed over the space of four years.

I know it's coming across like I hate the place; I don't. I had happy times in Blessington.

I just want people to be vigilant; if being vigilant stops it happening to you, I'll be glad.
    And don't get me wrong, I know crime happens everywhere, so I don't mean it to look like I'm tarring one area all the time.

You seem to be one of the unfortunate one's, sorry your experience in blessington was like that. I for one have never heard of this stuff going on. But I wouldn't go anywhere near Murphy's (previously the lakes) that's an awful kip. The only other thing I have noticed is a few teenagers hanging around Dempseys, nothing else. By the way, when I said upmarket, I meant nicely built for bringing up children.

I hope I didn't feckin' Jinx myself there:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

What broadband is there available in Blessington guys? Looking to move there and will be near the Dunnes Stores?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    What broadband is there available in Blessington guys? Looking to move there and will be near the Dunnes Stores?

As far as I know most areas have fibre broadband now, major upgrades were done by eircom over the past year and they're still upgrading at the moment. Unfortunately UPC is not available, Sky broadband, Eircom fibre, Vodafone fibre and Wicklow broadband are available.

As far as I know most areas have fibre broadband now, major upgrades were done by eircom over the past year and they're still upgrading at the moment. Unfortunately UPC is not available, Sky broadband, Eircom fibre, Vodafone fibre and Wicklow broadband are available.

Thanks for that Bang_Bang, Im not 100% sure if i can get efibre in my location which will be a come down from UPC.

Has yourself or anyone reading got any experience with VDSL (Eircom/Sky/Vodafone) in the town before fibre broadband came to town, What are the speeds like?

Keeping my options open in all regards as i wanna get good value at the same time.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Bang_Bang, Im not 100% sure if i can get efibre in my location which will be a come down from UPC.

Has yourself or anyone reading got any experience with VDSL (Eircom/Sky/Vodafone) in the town before fibre broadband came to town, What are the speeds like?

Keeping my options open in all regards as i wanna get good value at the same time.

Eircom and sky have good consistent speeds up here, if you are close to dunnes in one of the newer estates they are being upgraded, the contractors for eircom are constantly at the cabinets upgrading. I don't have sky but some of my neighbours do and they say it's very fast and cheaper than eircom when bundled with the sky package.

I personally have Wicklow broadband, and run the Xbox , sky on demand, 2 iPhone and a wii flawlessly on 7mb, ping of 10. Thinking of moving to sky though, could be cheaper and faster again.

Eircom and sky have good consistent speeds up here, if you are close to dunnes in one of the newer estates they are being upgraded, the contractors for eircom are constantly at the cabinets upgrading. I don't have sky but some of my neighbours do and they say it's very fast and cheaper than eircom when bundled with the sky package.

I personally have Wicklow broadband, and run the Xbox , sky on demand, 2 iPhone and a wii flawlessly on 7mb, ping of 10. Thinking of moving to sky though, could be cheaper and faster again.

Thanks a million for that Bang_Bang.

Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 martini8383

bode wrote: »
    Blessington is lovely place, ive been leaving here for 4 yrs now.i lived in dublin for 8yrs, wouldnt live anywhere else i dont know much about deerpark i usually walk past it, its quiet enough but blessington generally is safe. N81 is bit dodgy during winter snow but u can always get the bus.
    Upc broadband is not available here. you can get eircom, vodafone or sky broadband, speed up to 12mb. fibre broadband is due in december.

Hi, where did you hear that fibre is due in december?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Doodah7

eFibre is already well established in Blessington and if you are looking to move within the town you are well covered for broadband.

Advertisement