Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on correct wet gear

• 22-08-2014 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭

Having made the wrong choice of wet gear once, on a very wet 160k charity sportif and nearly getting hyperthermia, I'm not keen to make the same mistake twice. It was the longest, coldest and most miserable cycle in all my life.

I'm doing the SKT 160 this Sunday and the weather forecast is very wet.

So my questions are thus...
    Are arm/leg warmers suitable in wet weather?
    Is it best to wear shorts, so not to have wet clothes stuck to you?
    Number of layers?
    I'm interetsed to know how fellow cyclists gear up for long very wet spins?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

If I was riding in the wet I would wear:
    Base layer - short sleeved
    Short Sleeve jersey
    Arm Warmers
    Long tights
    Rain shell
    Overshoe covers
    gloves

I would go with arm warmers and a rain coat in case it stopped raining and got warmer as its easier to change. If you wear long sleeves, you can't undo this choice mid-ride.
    Maybe leg warmers and shorts could be an option, but I don't have leg warmers so I'd go with tights. Maybe unpadded ones over padded shorts, in case the weather got warmer.
    Cycling tights will still keep you warm even when they are wet (as long as its not too windy) and they dry out quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Not being smart but on a wet Irish day where roads will be wet, water thrown up by wheels is biggest problem.

Mudguards eliminate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ford2600 wrote: »
    Not being smart but on a wet Irish day where roads will be wet, water thrown up by wheels is biggest problem.

Mudguards eliminate this.

I was actually thinking about that..
    I have a set I use in winter, might set em on.

sorry, forgot mudguards, mine are fitted all year anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Rain is by no means certain yet!

I bought arm and leg warmers and gloves and they haven't arrived :( I have no clothing for colder temps at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Mudguards are fine in so far as it goes, but it's probably water from other people's wheels that will cause you more trouble if you are riding in a group.

By far the most important item is the light waterproof jacket. I'd suggest that there's no false economy in these and getting a decent one is going to be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

smurphy29 wrote: »
    Mudguards are fine in so far as it goes, but it's probably water from other people's wheels that will cause you more trouble if you are riding in a group.

By far the most important item is the light waterproof jacket. I'd suggest that there's no false economy in these and getting a decent one is going to be worth it.

slight thread hijack but what do people use. I have a couple of very old Montanes but need to replace them. I have the heavier duty stuff for winter but a good light waterproof jacket is invaluable for warmer weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

did the W200 this year with arm warmers, boot covers, jersey and gilet.... those boil in the bag jackets are ok for a quick shower but you are still going to get wet and warm in them.
    no need for leg warmers as they will hold the water and its not cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

If the rain isn't too heavy, a gilet is brilliant and you can take it off and stash in your pocket if too warm. I have a Rapha rain jacket for heavy rain/cold days (also fits in my pocket).

Knee warmers are better for this time of year than full legwarmers. Embrocation is another option if you opt for bare legs. I always wear a cycling cap if it rains and a mudguard/ass saver is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Mudguards: was looking at crud or SKS race bladed, any opinions on either?

Overshoes: anyone recommend a good pair? Need to fit a Shimano 48

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Kinet1c wrote: »

Overshoes: anyone recommend a good pair? Need to fit a Shimano 48

BBB Waterflex or the BBB Hardwear which will do for the depths of winter.

SKS
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/raceblade-mudguard-set-ec049819

but an asssaver is what you want... save yourself, not other people! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

lismore7 wrote: »
    Having made the wrong choice of wet gear once, on a very wet 160k charity sportif and nearly getting hyperthermia, I'm not keen to make the same mistake twice. It was the longest, coldest and most miserable cycle in all my life.

I'm doing the SKT 160 this Sunday and the weather forecast is very wet.

So my questions are thus...
    Are arm/leg warmers suitable in wet weather?
    Is it best to wear shorts, so not to have wet clothes stuck to you?
    Number of layers?
    I'm interetsed to know how fellow cyclists gear up for long very wet spins?

You must have been on the Tour Kilkenny too. I suffered badly with shivers and found leg warmers to be counter productive. My Altura ones just held water and I got cramps and was shivering until I stopped at the end.

Wear shoe covers, bib shorts unless it's below 13 degrees and then tights as a guide would be my recommendation. If it lashes on Sunday we will get wet. The worst thing is any clothing that holds water. A long sleeve base layer or arm warmers might be ok.I love my Louis Garneau gilet for cool and/or wet weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Are the Shimano windstopper arm and leg warmers not suitable then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

For the tour de KK I put on the full mudguards, wore lightweight Altura pocket rocket on top over as jersy. Sprayed the bib shorts with warter repellant spray for ski gear. Applied water repellant sun factor thingy to legs - thin layer Vaseline would do either. Shoe covers also, but next time deluge is predicted, will figure a way of reducing water running down legs into them. Also blu-tack (or gum) to cover holes on soles of shoes.
    Finished the 160 route after a days rain with dry(fairly dry anyways) torso and crotch and in better shape hypothermia wise than most around me. Had to wash off road grit plastered to my legs though.
    But that day was forecast wet all day. Sunday will be grand.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    For the tour de KK I put on the full mudguards, wore lightweight Altura pocket rocket on top over as jersy. Sprayed the bib shorts with warter repellant spray for ski gear. Applied water repellant sun factor thingy to legs - thin layer Vaseline would do either. Shoe covers also, but next time deluge is predicted, will figure a way of reducing water running down legs into them. Also blu-tack (or gum) to cover holes on soles of shoes.
    Finished the 160 route after a days rain with dry(fairly dry anyways) torso and crotch and in better shape hypothermia wise than most around me. Had to wash off road grit plastered to my legs though.
    But that day was forecast wet all day. Sunday will be grand.

In the end, I think my worst problem was the amount of water inside the rims of my Fulcrum Racing Quattros. It must have added 2kg. Different wheels planned for Sunday and I really hope that you're right about the weather. Mahon Falls into a rainy headwind will be nearly impossible to survive without the walk of shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

SUNDAY: cloudy wet weather will become widespread over Munster and Connacht and will be heavy in places. Rain will affect remaining provinces later in the afternoon and through the evening. It will become windy on Sunday too, with fresh to strong and gusty southeast to southerly winds developing. Feeling cool, with highest temperatures of 13 to 16 C.

Looks like full wet gear lads on Sunday's forecast..

Seems many of you suggest leg warmers will hold water and chill de legs, does the same apply to arm warmers?
    I found long sleeve jerseys when wet freeze me arms, despite a rain jacket over it.
    I've got a good Altura windstopper jacket and was going to wear pocket rain jacket over the top, with baselayer underneath.. or should I forget windstopper and use arm warmers?

Kinet1c wrote: »

I have 2 bikes with mudguards - one fitted with crud and one with long raceblades.
    The crud ones are ok, and I found they work better if you use the little brushes that come with them ( I didn't to start with) but are more hassle to fit/remove. The raceblades are easy to fit and remove but my rear one snapped in two for no aparrent reason

lismore7 wrote: »
    SUNDAY: cloudy wet weather will become widespread over Munster and Connacht and will be heavy in places. Rain will affect remaining provinces later in the afternoon and through the evening. It will become windy on Sunday too, with fresh to strong and gusty southeast to southerly winds developing. Feeling cool, with highest temperatures of 13 to 16 C.

Looks like full wet gear lads on Sunday's forecast..

Seems many of you suggest leg warmers will hold water and chill de legs, does the same apply to arm warmers?
    I found long sleeve jerseys when wet freeze me arms, despite a rain jacket over it.
    I've got a good Altura windstopper jacket and was going to wear pocket rain jacket over the top, with baselayer underneath.. or should I forget windstopper and use arm warmers?
    Arm warmers seem to work for me even when raining and keep me warm.leg warmers just soak up water and then let it run into my shoes. A gilet/ windstopper works well for me and a rain jacket just has a 'boil in the bag' effect for me. I'm going to bring a head liner for my helmet that I normally use on winter days because of the heat loss and that may help!
    The thing to remember is the wind chill effect of wet clothing, so really those Castelli nano flex warmers are suitable but I haven't got them, so it's fingers crossed

Advertisement