Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vests/babygros

Options
  • 22-08-2014 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Ok so I'm looking for some info on where I can get some decent vests and babygros but not at ridiculous prices as baby doesn't last long on them!

The problem I have is that my first born was 8lb 5oz so newborn (7.5) wouldn't even look on her. She was rather chunky! I'm due my second baby in nov and he's measuring a bit on the bigger side too so want to be prepared.

Most places in my town only do either newborn or 0-3 months. I picked up a pack in next for up to 1 month (10lb) but that won't be enough and they are fairly expensive.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I am due in nov and plan to buy 0-3 months baby things. I think I'll get them in Next.
    natty_asha wrote: »
    Ok so I'm looking for some info on where I can get some decent vests and babygros but not at ridiculous prices as baby doesn't last long on them!

The problem I have is that my first born was 8lb 5oz so newborn (7.5) wouldn't even look on her. She was rather chunky! I'm due my second baby in nov and he's measuring a bit on the bigger side too so want to be prepared.

Most places in my town only do either newborn or 0-3 months. I picked up a pack in next for up to 1 month (10lb) but that won't be enough and they are fairly expensive.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

H&M's stuff is great quality and reasonable. The basics range is organic cotton and they usually have three for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

NEXT vests are the best, they wash well and don't sag around the shoulders, I had an 8lb 11oz boy so newborn size is
    def too small go for the 0-3 months, tesco are ok too but dunnes stores vests are crap IMO one wash and they are out of shape, recently picked up some in M & S and the quality are not bad either.
    I think I had a variety of babygros from different stores I would have been more particular about buying good vests though because hate when the shoulders become baggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just have to organise a shopping trip, life can be so tough! :p

I do love the kids and baby clothes from NEXT, really have to control myself in that shop though!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Yeah, agreed, vests and babygros from Next/M&S are very good and Tesco very good too. Haven't tried H&M - must give them a go.
    Dunnes vests and babygros are awful. Funny fit and go out of shape.
    I'm going for 0-3 months for my next one although they'll prob be too big as my first baby was 7lb 1oz so I'll have some smaller ones too (some of his)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

What about Penney's baby gros? I got some from a friend, wouldn't be impressed with Penney's quality usually. Due in sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I like the tesco vests. I would buy some up to 1 month ones and then 0-3 months. M and s is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

My little chap was 8lb4oz at birth and is now four weeks old. From the start I put him in 0-3 vests from Mothercare and they are great. They wash incredibly well and are lovely and soft and I'm confident he'll get the next month or so out of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Tesco vests are brilliant and so reasonable but I find their babygros very thin. M&S babygros are excellent and the sizes are very generous. I decided not to buy any newborn stuff this time, just dive straight in at 0-3 months so I ordered a load of 0-3 mth babygros from m&s and I was shocked at the size of them! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Next and Tesco do the best vests.
    I love Next Baby gros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

I guess its just trial and error really.

I was looking in penneys the other day and there is such a big difference between their newborn and 0-3 months. Something inbetween would be ideal but I found they didn't wash great last time. Maybe they have improved the quality since.

I never even thought of tesco so will definitely have a look there.

do you not find 0-3 months to be huge on baby at first? My daughter although she was 8lb 5 was rather stumpy and chunky so they were far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

natty_asha wrote: »
    I guess its just trial and error really.

I was looking in penneys the other day and there is such a big difference between their newborn and 0-3 months. Something inbetween would be ideal but I found they didn't wash great last time. Maybe they have improved the quality since.

I never even thought of tesco so will definitely have a look there.

do you not find 0-3 months to be huge on baby at first? My daughter although she was 8lb 5 was rather stumpy and chunky so they were far too long.

My baby was long so I needed that size in length, i bought so much newborn size stuff but to be honest it was such a waste, I was convinced I would have a small baby but alas he turned out to be 8lb 11oz, His first outfit was a NEXT outfit newborn size but it was too small, ended up with a babygro as his first outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭LoopyLolly88

Tesco have some good ones & they do upto a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Karmella

I found M&S to be the best - and their sizes are on the big side so lasted beyond the 3 mths. Penneys are terrible, everything shrinks in the wash.

I'm surprised by everyones dunnes reviews - I thought they were grand aswell. Although maybe I bought so many that I didn't have to wash them a lot so maybe they kept their shape. I kinda lost the run of myself at the start. Defo still have vests that I didn't use either at all or more than once!! But I'll use them this time round so it's ok.

I found Dunnes baby boys clothes are horrible fit, really baggy. Their babygrows and vests are hit and miss, I got some 3-6 months babygrows that were grand the 6-12 months were crazy (body far too short legs to long), I have 12-18months that look grand but haven't tried them. Their vests are teeny tiny fittings. My 7 month old is in 18-24 months :eek:

M and s are brill for my boy he is still in some 6-9month clothes and 9-12month baby grows.

I like tesco babygrows, they are my second favourite (after m and s). Most of my tesco ones are Disney but I recently got a 3 pack of tesco ones and I like them :)

Penneys are teeny tiny, my boy is in 18-24months pjs there :eek:

My advise would be check the opening and closing of babygrows, get the ones that button all the way down and on legs :) they are the easiest to get and off!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Millem wrote: »
    My advise would be check the opening and closing of babygrows, get the ones that button all the way down and on legs :) they are the easiest to get and off!!

Oh this is very true - I bought some supercute ones in the Next sale at Christmas, but never even used them because they were ones that didn't button down the front, way too awkward to get on and off a small baby!

My favourite vests and babygros are Next and Boots (you can often get the Boots ones on 3 for 2, and they're brilliant quality.) I also got a few from Mothercare, great quality, but I wouldn't buy them unless they were on sale. I only got a couple of M&S ones as gifts, they were very thin and didn't wash well, maybe I was just unlucky with those particular ones though. Not a fan of Dunnes or Penneys ones at all. I need to stock up on vests and babygros myself, vests especially, scary to think I'll probably be buying 12-18 month ones! :eek: He's only seven months but quite tall, would rather have them a little big so that he'll get longer out of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Am I missing something? I'm in Waterford and have been looking for baby vests are they called something else because I can't find any

er1983 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? I'm in Waterford and have been looking for baby vests are they called something else because I can't find any

They are called bodysuits I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭MollFlanders

I love marks and spencer vests and babygros, good sizing and wash well. I buy when they have 20% off. I used €15 off online last time at Next and bought a set of vests and babygros for hospital 0-3 months. I found Tesco up to one month fantastic and am delighted I bought a few vests and babygros cos baby was bf and took a while to gain back weight, he looked snug in the up to one month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Front closing vests are brilliant , tesco do them .

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Front closing vests are brilliant , tesco do them .

M ans s do wrap ones but they are pricey http://www.marksandspencer.ie/on/demandware.store/Sites-IrelandSite-Site/en_IE/Search-Show?q=Wrap%20bodysuit

Advertisement