Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Gasgoigne in hospital after heavy drinking!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Yeah seen the recent photos of him and he looks in a bad way, wouldn't be shocked if he dies this year.

Edit - wasn't a joke just a badly timed expression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,214 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would hope no bookie would offer that bet.

Hoping he gets better looks to be a waste as I think he is only going one way. Such a shame as he was a great character and a really gifted footballer.

He looks way older than his years and I would not be surprised if he doesn't see 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hope he gets the right short and long term help. I have a sad feeling that he might be going the same way as George Best though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He's only 47 ffs! Those photos are incredibly depressing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Wow, was only reading about him yesterday. There was a bit on BBC saying how he was on the verge of playing for a Sunday League team. Although reading it again it does come across as if the taxi driver who manages the Sunday League team got a drunk Gascoigne to sign a piece of paper. Poor Gazza looks awful in those pics.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28876767

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Yeah seen the recent photos of him and he looks in a bad way, I wonder what odds you'd get on him to die this year?

Not funny tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I wonder what odds you'd get on him to die this year?
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen the pictures this morning, horrible place to be at any stage of your life, as being mentioned that facts hes "only" 47 but looks years older shows the demons hes fighting with.

TBH it looks liek a matter of time before hes gone and I wouldnt be shocked, as morbid as that sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

:eek:

Figure of speech Id imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

He needs to be sectioned and if necessary held against his will to receive in-patient treatment. He's a seriously mentally ill man and someone close to him needs to take control of the situation and do this for him. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have anyone in his life that cares enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The best thing for him is to move to somewhere like Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Brilliant player,f you are in your mid thirties or over having watched him play at his very best when you were a kid he was up there with Pele and Maradonna

I will remember him like that not like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as someone who is in recovery know how hard it is to stay on the wagon, but really wish Paul a huge welcome back , a football genius who was the first real superstar of the modern age in the UK , after his heroics at Italia '90 , saw him playing a few times for Spurs and he was class - get well soon and welcome back to recovery we're all in this together , super stars and just us ordinary folk.

kevpants wrote: »
    He needs to be sectioned and if necessary held against his will to receive in-patient treatment. He's a seriously mentally ill man and someone close to him needs to take control of the situation and do this for him. Unfortunately he doesn't appear to have anyone in his life that cares enough.

Unfortunately there is not much family can do for people this bad, if they can't do anything to help themselves then there is no hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

was he playing the flute ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

thebaz wrote: »
    as someone who is in recovery know how hard it is to stay on the wagon, but really wish Paul a huge welcome back , a football genius who was the first real superstar of the modern age in the UK , after his heroics at Italia '90 , saw him playing a few times for Spurs and he was class - get well soon and welcome back to recovery we're all in this together , super stars and just us ordinary folk.

Good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Fair play to Harry Redknapp
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/22/harry-redknapp-paul-gascoigne-qpr

Wish there were more people in the game who would try to help those who've fallen on hard times out of it. I know ultimately it falls on the person thmeslves but its sad to see the likes of Gazza, Kenny Samson etc down and out.

As a side note, I saw Neville Southall in the crowd last night for the Wales V England Ladies game. He was always a big man but f*ck me...he's HUUUGE now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

As a matter of interest, where's his 'mate' 5 bellies these days?

He looks awful, like death warmed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

kfallon wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, where's his 'mate' 5 bellies these days?

He looks awful, like death warmed up!

Last year he tried to help him!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/5009230/paul-gascoigne-best-pal-jimmy-five-bellies-flies-home-to-save-footie-star.html?teaser=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

DenMan wrote: »
    Laat year he tried to help him!

Fair enough, I'll take your word for it, not clicking that link considering where it came from!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

kfallon wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'll take your word for it, not clicking that link considering where it came from!

I don't buy/read it myself either. Found him on a quick google!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Wish there were more people in the game who would try to help those who've fallen on hard times out of it. I know ultimately it falls on the person thmeslves but its sad to see the likes of Gazza, Kenny Samson etc down and out.

Makes you wonder, are there any top flight alcoholics left in the game? The likes of Rooney, Andy Carroll cop occasional flak/ for what some see as a bit of a party lifestyle but it has never been on the level of accusing them of the level of dependency the likes of Gazza, McGrath etc had. With the influx of more clean living pros from abroad do these type of players simply get found out before they have a chance to make it big?

Look at the attention Jack Wilshere got for having a fag on his holidays (and by fag I mean cigarette).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Wish there were more people in the game who would try to help those who've fallen on hard times out of it.

Some of his former teamates, including Gary Linekar paid for Gazza's two month rehabilitation treatment and other costs un the US last year at a cost of tens of thoudands.

As others have said, you can't keep carrying others. Its incredibly sad but you have to let go at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That's a very unfair thing to say about his friends & family, you can only help someone so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

NIMAN wrote: »
    Look at the attention Jack Wilshere got for having a fag on his holidays (and by fag I mean cigarette).

Smoking among continental players is very common and seemingly non controversial. Balotelli, Gallas, Zidane just off the top of my head, there must be loads more. The French, Italians, Spanish etc have always thought of the anti smoking lobby as nanny staters, compared to here and the UK where even most smokers concede they are doing a necessary job.

I'm sure plenty of UK/ Irish players smoke but they seem more obliged to keep it hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bump,

Looks like he's having a pretty public meltdown on twitter: https://twitter.com/gazza8gascoigne

Should give the rags something to write about for the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Besides being an alcoholic and all that I always wondered was he ever diagnosed with a learning difficulty or a type of retardation when he was younger ?

Feel sorry for the guy don't think he will ever find peace unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It's hardly his real account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Charlie19 wrote: »
    It's hardly his real account.

It is,there's another that's fake.

ricero wrote: »
    Besides being an alcoholic and all that I always wondered was he ever diagnosed with a learning difficulty or a type of retardation when he was younger ?

He has mental health issues and from reading about him a few years ago they seem pretty severe.

I'd say his alcohol problems stem from a lot of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Retardation isn't the best word to use. He clearly has mental health difficulties other than addiction.

I feel so sorry for people like Gascoigne, he was surrounded by hangers on telling him he was grand when he clearly wasn't, now they're gone and the Man is just a shell.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Retardation isn't the best word to use. He clearly has mental health difficulties other than addiction.

I feel so sorry for people like Gascoigne, he was surrounded by hangers on telling him he was grand when he clearly wasn't, now they're gone and the Man is just a shell.

agree, horrible use of word - as an ex-problem drinker myself, I would say most of us that I know had learning difficulties growing up, and a generation ago they went untreated , certainly in my case , just deemed stupid in school. Today the facilities and education is much better and understating - took me a long time to overcome difficulties i had reading and languages. So wish Gazza well , from baz.
    Many of us so called stupid people went on to excel in other areas, just not education academia. Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Like most gifted footballers, I doubt school was his or parents priority once they seen what he could with a football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

He's been seriously disturbed from a young age, when he saw his best friend's brother killed. He has serious problems with alcohol too. It's heartbreaking to see how he is.

Every time it looks like he might be sorting himself out there's a bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Just seen some of the pictures that were in The Sun today. Shattering to see what he looks like now. I hope the journalists responsible for that story are proud of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

blueser wrote: »
    Just seen some of the pictures that were in The Sun today. Shattering to see what he looks like now. I hope the journalists responsible for that story are proud of themselves.

Supposedly they've been following him around for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What else would you expect from that rag. They were pretty happy in the article that they also published photos back in March of him in another bad state, Absolute scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Why do people still buy that paper anyway, I wouldn't even click on thier web page, scum...

Leave the man alone to do whatever the fcuk he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,314 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Why do people still buy that paper anyway, I wouldn't even click on thier web page, scum...

I find many people in day-to-day life to be utterly moronic, I assume these are the sort of people who buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I find many people in day-to-day life to be utterly moronic, I assume these are the sort of people who buy it.

Couldn't agree more - people who read The Sun are idiots. The people who work for The Sun are worse. Absolute filth. What a way to make a living, I'd rather be on the dole.

Sadly, I can't see Gazza lasting too much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wonder where his so called 'mates' are now, that Five Bellies guy, fcukin leeches

ikeano29 wrote: »

and then when the inevitable happens, they'll be all remorseful saying why didn't we do more to help him in his time of need - with all the money slushing around English football today , and following Englands pitiful collapse at the Euros , Gazza was the last real English football superstar , setting the way for todays millionaires , and he's now on Skid Row , hounded by the very media that helped create him. Beyond sad,

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wonder where his so called 'mates' are now, that Five Bellies guy, fcukin leeches

Who knows. He may have burned bridges for a variety of reasons.

There's only one person who can really help gazza and that's himself. Even that may be difficult as from reading some of his books from years ago he definitely has mental health issues that can only be getting progressively worse.

His old football buddies have stumped up cash for treatment a few times afaik,but what can you do if somebody keeps falling off the wagon again and again.

Addiction and mental health problems are complex. It's sad to see someone's played out in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Don't understand the love in for this wife beater.
    I say good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can't stand the man, but not right just to stalk him either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Could be lies, but sadly is looks like that Jimmy Five Bellies has been trying to make amends for a while (or had been, two years ago) - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gazzas-former-best-mate-jimmy-4387340

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

You just know Gazza is the exact type of person who buys it himself

• Advertisement
Advertisement