Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Gasgoigne in hospital after heavy drinking!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Billy86 wrote: »
    Could be lies, but sadly is looks like that Jimmy Five Bellies has been trying to make amends for a while (or had been, two years ago) - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gazzas-former-best-mate-jimmy-4387340

Fat b*stard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wonder where his so called 'mates' are now, that Five Bellies guy, fcukin leeches
    kfallon wrote: »
    Fat b*stard!

Its not mentioned properly in that article, but 5 bellies did his very best to help Gazza for many years. Gazza felt he didnt need help and caused a fall out with the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Don't understand the love in for this wife beater.
    I say good riddance.

You'll be glad to see him dead?

Awful post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

adox wrote: »

Awful post.

I believe the politically correct term is "find peace at last".

Great footballer when mood took him. But the guy is riddled with issues.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm sorry but wishing death on someone with a hell of a lot of personal demons is pretty terrible. He has hurt a lot of people with his substance abuse, of that I have no doubt - both physically and mentally.

I've got personal issues, not afraid to admit it. I do/say sh*tty things towards people I care about deeply when I'm upset with them (far more so than someone I didn't don't care for). I've never hit a woman, or a guy since I was a teenager, but it's not like the rest of us have some moral high ground. I'd be pretty sure he absolutely hates himself, most substance abusers do deep down from those I have known.

I don't like him as a person at all, but to wish death on him for his problems is absolutely terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

adox wrote: »

Awful post.
    Why's it an awful post?
    Wife beaters are the scum of the earth.
    That's all I see when I see "Gazza".
    The real joke is the Nordies called their national airport after another wife beater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I also know a lot of people with abuse issues. It makes them ****ty people but you do need to realise that their problems make them behave the way they do. They shouldn't be absolved or forgiven completely but a bit of understanding wouldn't do any harm.

Usually these people are deeply unhappy and don't get any pleasure out of being dicks or driving people away, they just can't handle their problems and need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Oh well that's fine so. If "Gazza" were to thump your sister/mother/wife/daughter/female friend to a pulp im sure you'd be full of understanding and realise he's a deeply unhappy individual.
    Meanwhile, I will retain my absolute contempt for any man that raises his hand to a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have first-hand experience of this kind of situation but this isn't the place.

Well done for sticking to your beliefs but life is not black and white, being to accept and understand the grey is an important part in life. Sticking to black and white is going to leave you disappointed and frustrated.

• Advertisement

Oh well that's fine so. If "Gazza" were to thump your sister/mother/wife/daughter/female friend to a pulp im sure you'd be full of understanding and realise he's a deeply unhappy individual.
    Meanwhile, I will retain my absolute contempt for any man that raises his hand to a woman.

If you would murder someone for punching your sister, you would deserve the time you would get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

If you would murder someone for punching your sister, you would deserve the time you would get.

Wait what? Where in his post did he say he would murder someone? :confused:

This place gets more and more ridiculous by the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Mec27

Makes you wonder, are there any top flight alcoholics left in the game? The likes of Rooney, Andy Carroll cop occasional flak/ for what some see as a bit of a party lifestyle but it has never been on the level of accusing them of the level of dependency the likes of Gazza, McGrath etc had. With the influx of more clean living pros from abroad do these type of players simply get found out before they have a chance to make it big?

That just isn't how it is at all. I think people think Britain is the only place with a drink culture and all these 'clean living pros from abroad' are models of professionalism, I think in a way people look at the loss of drink culture as a byproduct of increased players from 'abroad' and judging from Roy Keane's autobiography there is a degree of mysty eyed nostalgia about a bygone era.
    People like Gazza are so rare, and in other countries like the likes of artem milevskiy and roman shirokov(who played in this euros) have had battles with alcohol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Arrested over a sexual assault at a train station. But it's fine because he's a cheeky chappy who cried during Italia 90

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Arrested over a sexual assault at a train station. But it's fine because he's a cheeky chappy who cried during Italia 90

Has he been convicted?

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Has he been convicted?

No, he's been arrested. That's why my post said arrested. It didn't say convicted.

• Advertisement

No, he's been arrested. That's why my post said arrested. It didn't say convicted.

Was just playing Devils advocate. He may have done nothing.

Seems to be back on the sauce anyway going by reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Don't know why people care at this stage anyway. He's had enough chances.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Don't know why people care at this stage anyway. He's had enough chances.

Most people probably don't care too much and are just discussing it as news.

Most people probably don't care too much and are just discussing it as news.

It's a pity anyone does at all, he's a waste of space, but no doubt we'll see loads of his ex pro mates defending him again.

I haven't heard anyone say it's fine because he's a cheeky chappy and I haven't seen any of the ex pro mates defend him. But maybe both campaigns will start tomorrow...

• Advertisement

I haven't heard anyone say it's fine because he's a cheeky chappy and I haven't seen any of the ex pro mates defend him. But maybe both campaigns will start tomorrow...

I'd bank on it.

There's plenty have defended him despite his past indiscretions was my point.

Anyway you can pop along and show him your support next week, have a laugh about the good old times bating Cheryl, ****ing in socks and playing the flute. Tickets still available to a night with Gazza.

https://eicc.tickets.red61.com/listprices.php?performanceId=150:439

Anyway you can pop along and show him your support next week, have a laugh about the good old times bating Cheryl, ****ing in socks and playing the flute. Tickets still available to a night with Gazza.

https://eicc.tickets.red61.com/listprices.php?performanceId=150:439

You actually think I support him? I don't. I just haven't seen this "cheeky chappy, so it's fine" reaction.

A quick review of your own post history suggests you weren't too outraged when a Liverpool player kicked his girlfriend around a street. You gave it the whole "well good people can do bad things".

And you gave that opinion after he was convicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

horrible person, overrated footballer and raging alcoholic, at least we have one thing in common

You actually think I support him? I don't. I just haven't seen this "cheeky chappy, so it's fine" reaction.

A quick review of your own post history suggests you weren't too outraged when a Liverpool player kicked his girlfriend around a street. You gave it the whole "well good people can do bad things".

And you gave that opinion after he was convicted.

I'm not for a second condoning Flanagan, he should have been sacked for that.

Yea I believe otherwise good people are capable of isolated horrible acts. I'm not saying that's the case with Flanagan, but i wouldn't exclude the possibility either. With Gazza it's different on the basis of his litany of incidents.

My reference to the cheeky chappy business was with regard to how he's often portrayed in the media as a bit of a messer rather than as a pretty horrible person, which his history of behaviour would suggest he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Guy from Blue Peter got taken to court over dancing with a woman on her hen night he had a rep for being a party guy, even if Gazza has done anything unscrupulous here every man on the planet that looks at a woman at the moment is worse than Harvey wait till the dust has settled before you cast aspersions.

Btw Blue Peter guy was acquitted.

I'm not for a second condoning Flanagan, he should have been sacked for that.

Yea I believe otherwise good people are capable of isolated horrible acts. I'm not saying that's the case with Flanagan, but i wouldn't exclude the possibility either. With Gazza it's different on the basis of his litany of incidents.

How do the actual convictions of both compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gimli2112 wrote: »
    horrible person, overrated footballer and raging alcoholic, at least we have one thing in common

Aww your not that horrible.

Guy from Blue Peter got taken to court over dancing with a woman on her hen night he had a rep for being a party guy, even if Gazza has done anything unscrupulous here every man on the planet that looks at a woman at the moment is worse than Harvey wait till the dust has settled before you cast aspersions.

Btw Blue Peter guy was acquitted.

Looking at women is perfectly fine. You're being a tad dramatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looking at women is perfectly fine. You're being a tad dramatic.

No I really am not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why do people care so much about this guy? He's an abusive drunk who has had chance after chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

rob316 wrote: »
    Why do people care so much about this guy? He's an abusive drunk who has had chance after chance.

Because the media (and probably by extension the general public) loves a rise a fall and then a rise again.

Flawed characters seem to be much more beloved than people who are just squeaky clean all their lives and never do any harm to anyone.

Tiger Woods is a hell of a lot more popular now than he was before his personal life fell apart.

The fact is as you've said he's had chance after chance and clearly has no intrerest in ever properly sorting himself out despite all the help that would be available to him and people conveniently like to forget that he used to beat the crap out of his wife and is clearly not quite the loveable character that some in the media would have us believe he is.

Generally that's true, but no chance is Tiger Woods more popular now than 10+ years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Generally that's true, but no chance is Tiger Woods more popular now than 10+ years ago.

Woods is more liked now than he was in the past.People loved his golf but not neccesarily him 10 years ago whereas people now seem to have more love for Tiger Woods the person than they did in the past.

Advertisement