Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House Query

Options
  • 22-08-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hello,

I am currently in rented accommodation and have just purchased a new house. We will have keys to the new house next week but will still be living between it and the rented accommodation until near the end of September. The new house currently has the electricity cut off. 

So:
    Can I switch my account to the new address now but also keep the account on the rented accommodation until we fully move out at the end of September?
    How soon can you get the electricity turned back on in the new house?

MB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Mister Burns,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your account can only be for one address. Unfortunately it is not possible for it to cover two addresses. You will need to close your account for your current address no earlier than the day you provide us with the final meter reading for your usage up to that point.

On the day you move out, contact us with the reading, and a final bill will then issue to you (payment due two weeks from the date of issue).

We can then immediately process your move-in to your new address (reopening your account will be part of this) as well as commencing the reconnection process for it. This will involve us liaising with ESB Networks. Generally it takes two or three working days between the point when we are contacted and when ESB Networks carries out the reconnection.

If you would like us to do the above here on Boards.ie, we are here between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. Just private message one of us or the Electric Ireland Reps account (see panel to the right) with your Electric Ireland account number, your name, current address and telephone number (confirming you are the account-holder).
    If you will need to contact Electric Ireland outside of the above hours, our Customer Service team are at 1850 372 372, between 8am-8pm, Monday to Saturday.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mister Burns

Hi Mister Burns,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your account can only be for one address. Unfortunately it is not possible for it to cover two addresses. You will need to close your account for your current address no earlier than the day you provide us with the final meter reading for your usage up to that point.

On the day you move out, contact us with the reading, and a final bill will then issue to you (payment due two weeks from the date of issue).

We can then immediately process your move-in to your new address (and your account will be reopened) as well as commencing the reconnection process for it. This will involve us liaising with ESB Networks. Generally it takes two or three working days between the point when we are contacted and when ESB Networks carries out the reconnection.

If you would like us to do the above here on Boards.ie, we are here between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. Just private message one of us or the Electric Ireland Reps account (see panel to the right) with your Electric Ireland account number, your name, current address and telephone number (confirming you are the account-holder).

Kind regards,
    Una
    Hi Una,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I'm afraid that isn't going to work for me as I require electricity in both properties to 1: allow work to be carried out in the property we are buying while 2: we continue to reside in the rental property for a number of weeks.

What I understand from your response is that, that is not possible. The only solution I see is to get another provider to supply the new property going forward and then cancel our Electric Ireland account in a few weeks when we move. Thanks for your help and I'll be in contact re closing our Electric Ireland account in due course. Do I need to provide you with notice or will I just contact you on the day with the final reading to close out the account?

Kind regards
    MB

Hi again Mister Burns,

I did not realise you required the reconnection well in advance of moving into your new address. Sorry for any confusion. That's no problem - we can open another account for you for your new address, and then when you move out of your current accommodation your account for that address will be closed (notice is not required - you only need to contact us after you take the final meter reading).

We can open the new account for you here on Boards by private message with the details I asked for in my last post if you'd like to message us.

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Mister Burns,

I did not realise you required the reconnection well in advance of moving into your new address. Sorry for any confusion. That's no problem - we can open another account for you for your new address, and then when you move out of your current accommodation your account for that address will be closed (notice is not required - you only need to contact us after you take the final meter reading).

We can open the new account for you here on Boards by private message with the details I asked for in my last post if you'd like to message us.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una,

That may save me continuing to shop around for a new supplier however having looked around now I have a couple more questions:

If I open a new account for the new property is it a continuation of the current contract or will I be tied to Electric Ireland for another 12 months?

If it is a new 12 month contract do I qualify for the prices quoted on your website for New Customers or will I be subject to the higher rates for existing customers?

Kind regards
    MB

Hi Mister Burns,

For your new account, you will be able to avail of the new customer discounts (electricity only: 13% plus 2% for online billing; electricity and gas: 10% on each, plus 2% on each for online billing). This will be a new contract though, it will not be continued over from the account associated with the other address.
    With regard to your current price-plan, closing your account because of moving out would not be a breach of contract. This would only apply in the case of customers changing supplier before their contract ends.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi Mister Burns,

For your new account, you will be able to avail of the new customer discounts (electricity only: 13% plus 2% for online billing; electricity and gas: 10% on each, plus 2% on each for online billing). This will be a new contract though, it will not be continued over from the account associated with the other address.
    With regard to your current price-plan, closing your account because of moving out would not be a breach of contract. This would only apply in the case of customers changing supplier before their contract ends.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una,

Will PM you now

Kind regards
    MacDara

Hi Mister Burns,

Regards,
    Una

Seriously. On the open forum I am entitled to the discounts outlined above. By PM I "may" be entitled to them but phone the sales. Phone Sales/Customer Service team and got told "no I don't think so ....."

I'll be in touch to close current account and will be using another provider for the new property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Mister Burns,

I do apologise for any confusion. I'm sorry to read that you're thinking of choosing another provider.

Did you call our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90? If not, I can arrange a callback for you to discuss this further and confirm what you are eligible for.

Once you are opting for Direct Debit and Online Billing, you will be eligible for our ValueSaver price plan and a 15% discount on your new account (electricity only).

If you will have electricity and gas in your premise, then the discounts available would be 12% for both fuels.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Hi Mister Burns,

I do apologise for any confusion. I'm sorry to read that you're thinking of choosing another provider.

Did you call our Sales team on 1850 30 50 90? If not, I can arrange a callback for you to discuss this further and confirm what you are eligible for.

Once you are opting for Direct Debit and Online Billing, you will be eligible for our ValueSaver price plan and a 15% discount on your new account (electricity only).

If you will have electricity and gas in your premise, then the discounts available would be 12% for both fuels.

Kind regards,
    Aoife
    Aoife - please read my post above - as I said I did call the sales team and I got told "no I don't think so ....." when I explained the situation to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Mister Burns,

Thank you for confirming, I just wanted to be sure that you were speaking to the correct team. I've double-checked with a supervisor and you would be able to receive the new customer discounts on your new premise. I apologise if you were advised otherwise, and for any confusion. We will follow up with the Sales team internally to ensure that the team is briefed regarding this.

I understand that you've received information about setting up your new property etc., but If you've any other questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Advertisement

Hi Mister Burns,

Thank you for confirming, I just wanted to be sure that you were speaking to the correct team. I've double-checked with a supervisor and you would be able to receive the new customer discounts on your new premise. I apologise if you were advised otherwise, and for any confusion. We will follow up with the Sales team internally to ensure that the team is briefed regarding this.

I understand that you've received information about setting up your new property etc., but If you've any other questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Kind regards,
    Aoife
    Thanks Aoife. I will be using another provider for the new property.

Hi again Mister Burns,

Sorry to read that you are changing provider. Please do let us know if you would like further assistance in relation to your other account or anything else we can help with. We are here on Boards between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement