Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken pedestrian crossing at the end of O'Connell Street

Options
  • 22-08-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

The pedestrian crossing that goes from Toher's Chemist across to the New Tourist Office (and vice versa).

It doesn't seem to work properly. Has anyone else noticed this? It acts as if O'Connell Street was still a two-way street and doesn't show the little-green-man when the north-bound traffic has stopped. Or am I missing something?

How long has it been since O'Connell Street was made into a one-way street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

All the lights in Sligo are f...up;) City bypass - You more likely will stop on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

That sounds more like a 'driver's' complaint.

Just to make it clear, I am raising this issue because it negatively impacts 'pedestrians', a lot of which are tourists, making their way to the tourist office. And so it reflects badly on the town generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Yep as a driver, but all the lights are the same. And i know the ones one O'Connell's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The settings on a lot of lights seem to have been changed for th Fleadh. Probably not reset yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

It was probably the early 70s since oconnell at was two way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

That's the kind of half done job that drives me mad. There is a set of lights outside my apartment that senses when a car is leaving the multi-storey car park. At night the shutters are closed and so the sensor thinks there is always a car waiting to get out so the lights are always changing throughout the night

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cnoc na Riabh

I can't believe it's been nearly a month since this thread was started.

Saw a very sad sight today: a blind man standing at this pedestrian crossing, waiting for the signal to cross, even though the cars were clearly stopped. As if being blind wasn't bad enough, there he was being treated like a second-class citizen.

A person with healthy eyesight can see that the traffic is stopped and so cross safely.

The blind and visually-impaired men and women of Sligo need to be made aware of this issue. They are currently being forced to wait 'TWICE AS LONG' before being able to cross the road at this pedestrian crossing.

Who is in charge of the traffic lights in Sligo?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Really bugs me when people 'press' the pedestrian crossing on O'Connell St at Mullaneys/Tobergal Lane turning the lights red when the traffic is already stopped. Jesus just turn your head to the left and walk across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Carson10 wrote: »
    Really bugs me when people 'press' the pedestrian crossing on O'Connell St at Mullaneys/Tobergal Lane turning the lights red when the traffic is already stopped. Jesus just turn your head to the left and walk across.

I've seen people do this only to nearly get hit when traffic begins to move again as drivers pull away in a mad dash. The lights are there for a very good reason and should always be used.

Advertisement