Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoOp Report Extension?

• 22-08-2014 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anybody knows if the CoOp office usually grant extensions on reports?
    Mine is due on Friday the 12th of September. I thought I would have had it finished ages ago, but I've been sick on and off quite a lot recently and I leave for Canada (study abroad) next Friday, so I'm really stuck for time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm not sure about the extension, but you'd get it done in two days if you just lash into it. The longest part is the Skills Assessment which takes a bit of time to make up enough crap to fill four pages analyse your experience in a deep and meaningful way, but really the rest you'd get done in no time.

I know that's not what you asked, but I'd recommend not giving up and prolonging it y'know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My advice should be taken with a pinch of salt (graduated in 2008, less than stellar student), but I really don't think the reports are read properly. I copied and pasted my duties/responsibilities section from a previous student's report and he did the same with another student and so on, and nobody was done for plagiarism. Just put whatever you want in there as long as you don't absolutely take the piss.

As long as you have the standard report requirements fulfilled and a signature, hand it in and you should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

There's a fine of €50 if you don't get it done and then you have until the next semester to do it. Happened to one of my friends and she ended up having to finish hers when we were on Erasmus. They don't read it and just make sure you meet the requirements, as said above, so I'd also suggest just doing it and handing it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Thanks for the advice, think Im going to try and get a bit more done today. All thats left is the skills assessment and summary, so I guess it would be a shame to give in now.

Side note, what do they mean by 'bound by a clear acetate cover'?
    Do I actually need to get it bound by one of those 'spirally' machines, or can I just put it into any clear cover?

biohaiid wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, think Im going to try and get a bit more done today. All thats left is the skills assessment and summary, so I guess it would be a shame to give in now.

Side note, what do they mean by 'bound by a clear acetate cover'?
    Do I actually need to get it bound by one of those 'spirally' machines, or can I just put it into any clear cover?

I didn't bother with one of those spirally machines anyway. Just threw it in a simple folder with a clear cover.

• Advertisement

I didn't bother with one of those spirally machines anyway. Just threw it in a simple folder with a clear cover.

Great, that will save me some time anyway!

(And you passed, I assume?)

Great, that will save me some time anyway!

(And you passed, I assume?)

Oh yeah, and mine was so horribly written. They really don't care at all. I mean, if it said to write a page, I got away with 3/4 of a page. I also used to leave a line in between my paragraphs and was generous with my use of paragraphs. I don't think they read them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I only handed up my coop report the week before I finished 4th year a few months ago, yes I did have to pay a fine, but a good few others I know that handed it up that late played the poor student card and didnt have to pay any fine, so dont stress about it :)

I have heard those things arent even read !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

Nobody is going to read thousands of pages of this nonsense 'I am now a very good employee, I really enjoyed getting coffee for 8 months'.

Mine is 2,800 words (no log book or other stuff included), if you can't write that in the next 20 days there is no hope.

Got his horrendous thing finished on Sunday, sending it off tomorrow.
    Even though I know the chances of it actually being read start to finish are pretty slim, I still wanted to do a good job, because I'm a perfectionist like that ... it's a blessing and a curse!
    But it's done, that's all that matters!

• Advertisement

Got his horrendous thing finished on Sunday, sending it off tomorrow.
    Even though I know the chances of it actually being read start to finish are pretty slim, I still wanted to do a good job, because I'm a perfectionist like that ... it's a blessing and a curse!
    But it's done, that's all that matters!

Handed mine into my manager to read today. Even got free printing and binding at work. :P

I basically said to him: "Listen, no one reads it. So you can read it if you want, or just skim through and sign it."

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Handed mine into my manager to read today. Even got free printing and binding at work. :P

I basically said to him: "Listen, no one reads it. So you can read it if you want, or just skim through and sign it."

Nice one :)
    I, unfortunately, live in the middle of nowhere and so had to send mine by email to my employers to read, get them to print off the cover page to sign and stamp, re-scan it and send it back. And I did two placements.
    Lots of hassle for something that won't even be acknowledged! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

How are ye binding yours? I started of with one that would end up fancy and then found out they wont be read... I'm now on page 12, have nearly 6000 words wrote and I'm only half way through. Slightly regretting it...

sup_dude wrote: »
    How are ye binding yours? I started of with one that would end up fancy and then found out they wont be read... I'm now on page 12, have nearly 6000 words wrote and I'm only half way through. Slightly regretting it...

That's what I'm stuck on at the moment. I have 31 pages (only half of that is the report, the rest is all stuff added to the appendix to make it look good) and there's no WAY it would fit into the report cover I bought .. its one of those with a panel you slide in and out at the side.
    Hoping to get my hands on one of those spiral binding machines in the next few days and put it in one of those clear clovers with the spiral down the side.

If you're still at the place where you did Coop, they might do it for free. I got mine spiral bound. I'd say just go for the cheapest option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I faked the signature on mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Nah, neither of my placements are the type to have a printer, nevermind a binder. The first place didn't even have internet! :P
    I wonder would a folder with a clear front do the job.

sup_dude wrote: »
    Nah, neither of my placements are the type to have a printer, nevermind a binder. The first place didn't even have internet! :P
    I wonder would a folder with a clear front do the job.

Shur you could always try submitting it that way whenever you're back on campus, then if they refuse it you know you'll have to bind it. I'd try the folder first before shelling out money to bind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

My advice should be taken with a pinch of salt (graduated in 2008, less than stellar student), but I really don't think the reports are read properly. I copied and pasted my duties/responsibilities section from a previous student's report and he did the same with another student and so on, and nobody was done for plagiarism. Just put whatever you want in there as long as you don't absolutely take the piss.

As long as you have the standard report requirements fulfilled and a signature, hand it in and you should be grand.

You may not have been a stellar student Nicolas but you made a damn fine actor:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doneanddusted

Hi there, I don`t know what course you said you were in if you mentioned it but 31 pages seems an awful lot. After being told that I had to 20 pages, I contacted the COOP office at the time to check as i thought it was way too much and they said that 13/14 pages would suffice. There is a lot of repetition in these reports and as someone has said they are probably not even read so why bother?

As for the extension, depending on the course or, as I gathered, the individual, people in coop can be quite relaxed. I handed mine in a week after coming back from the country I did coop in as I just wanted it out of my hands. During the second semester of third year one of my classmates who had done coop in the same country as me said she had still not handed hers in and noone had said anything to her.

So don`t stress. They might not grant official extensions (I never heard of one, maybe this classmate got one but never mentioned it) but they have no grounds for penalizing you if you do not hand it in on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hi there, I don`t know what course you said you were in if you mentioned it but 31 pages seems an awful lot. After being told that I had to 20 pages, I contacted the COOP office at the time to check as i thought it was way too much and they said that 13/14 pages would suffice. There is a lot of repetition in these reports and as someone has said they are probably not even read so why bother?

As for the extension, depending on the course or, as I gathered, the individual, people in coop can be quite relaxed. I handed mine in a week after coming back from the country I did coop in as I just wanted it out of my hands. During the second semester of third year one of my classmates who had done coop in the same country as me said she had still not handed hers in and noone had said anything to her.

So don`t stress. They might not grant official extensions (I never heard of one, maybe this classmate got one but never mentioned it) but they have no grounds for penalizing you if you do not hand it in on time.

Apart from fining you, not allowing you to pass the semester and/or not allowing you to graduate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 doneanddusted

Well, Chrislad, that did not happen to this girl and I`m sure a lot of others probably got away with it too.

But I suppose I should just be encouraging students to hand it in on time as I did. Get it out of the way so they can concentrate on their FYP (which in one course is started in third year). These reports are not rocket science and as I said you repeat yourself a lot out of necessity. I am right about 13 pages though and this could always be checked with the coop office if you suspect your coop liaison is taking the piss.

Advertisement