Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding bicep curls to SL

Options
  • 22-08-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Im currently just starting back to weight training and doing the SL 5x5. Im finding that its not really hitting my biceps/triceps as much as i thought it would.
    Would anyone who has done or is doing 5x5 found this and did anyone or would anyone recommend throwing some bi/tri work on ecsh work out? as in bicep curls on workout A and tricep work on workout B?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Just do this. Its basically a 5x5 program with the right amount of assistance work

link to workouts

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

cheers thats great. but are the hyperextensions and the deadlifts not the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

idnkph wrote: »
    cheers thats great. but are the hyperextensions and the deadlifts not the same?

I'd have said they were an accessory exercise for the deadlift.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

conzy wrote: »
    Just do this. Its basically a 5x5 program with the right amount of assistance work

It's definitely an improvement on the basic 5x5. But curls end rows every session is a bit much imo

Mellor wrote: »
    It's definitely an improvement on the basic 5x5. But curls end rows every session is a bit much imo

why do you think that?

• Advertisement

Horizontal pulling (rowing) every session but no vertical pulling (chins, pull ups). It's just not a good approach imo. And I don't see the need to go curls every session.

I do very similar exercises, but spread them put differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You could replace the row with a pullup on the 2nd workout.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

afaik its all rowing / curls because it assumes absolute beginner that cant do chins. If you can do chins you do chins one of the days

conzy wrote: »
    afaik its all rowing / curls because it assumes absolute beginner that cant do chins. If you can do chins you do chins one of the days
    That would be a lot better imo. Swap the second workouts rows and curls for chins

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

I find 5x5 is very difficult to maintain and after doing the first 3 exercises I'm wrecked. I've been looking at greyskull LP instead for a few weeks now. What I've found is much more energy after finishing the main part of the program, enough to do some curls, tricep work, delt's - whatever takes my fancy on a particular day for a pump.

• Advertisement

Iv added curls on bench days 3x8 and skull crushers 3x8 on OH press days. I find this better and feel like my arms are getting a better workout too

Advertisement