Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toying with the idea of buying a classic - advice needed

Options
  • 22-08-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm toying with the idea of buying a classic car. I live in London so dont really have the need for a car but I was thinking I'd like to get a classic for weekends etc.

Anyway, after a bit of googling I was thinking maybe a Porsche 944 but equally Im open to ideas as Im new to the world of classics.

My budget is about 3K sterling. I want something iconic, and not all that common, preferably a coupe. Im not really interested in getting VW Beetle or Minis or a saloon etc.

I was also thinking along the lines of a TVR or maybe a Triumph. I want to get something in good nick so dont really want to stretch the budget to just get a car that I have to put a load of money in to.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I did that, got the tube to work during the week and I had a '73 350sl for the weekends.
    I also rented a lockup to store it, I think it was £30 a month to store it at the time mid/late '90s.
    Convertibles are great around London, its always a bit warmer there, you'll seldom be going too fast and it wont get spat in when you leave it with the roof down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Do you have a garage to store the classic. Classic cars need storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

3k budget for a useable reliable classic Porsche , TVR , Triumph or similar that you won't have to pile money in to in the future. You may get one of the cars of your choice but it being a well looked after good condition example that has been well maintained and is ready to use is highly unlikely for 3k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Jag XJ?
    Plenty of series 3 or xj40 around at that end of the market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

caesar wrote: »
    My budget is about 3K sterling.

Well that's the insurance and storage bill for SW12 taken care of for the year. How much is left for the car again?

Own a car inside the M25? I wouldn't bother. I'd be toying with the idea of moving as far away as possible where I could enjoy my hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You might consider another option - there's a classic car club timeshare place on Old Street - you pay something short of two grand a year iirc and you get access to their roster of classics on a points basis (more points used for the more exotic stuff). If it's a weekend toy you want it offers you lots of variety, and removes the maintenance and storage headaches, for a price. They've some lovely looking cars, from what I've seen while in the neighbourhood.

http://www.classiccarclub.co.uk/home.asp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

944 is a decent choice. Loads available in the UK and most have been well looked after too. They are a good car to drive too. You'll need a garage/storage though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think with 3K you're priced out of a TVR, Merc SL or an XJS.

That's really rubber bumper MG money, though you'd probably pick up a 924/944 for that too. None of the other classics I can see in that price range would raise the pulse on the road unless you wear a flat cap.

Advertisement