Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Computing - DT211 2014

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I recently accepted this course offer and was wondering if anyone who has done this course or is currently in it would let me know what it's like ? Is it an enjoyable course and what are the hours like in first year ? I'll be commuting an hour everyday by bus so the hours would be a priority for me ! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wazad93

Hey, I am currently in DT211!
    Well the course in first year is kind of broad as you get to dip into lots of things like programming, networking, robotics and hardware! its a good introduction to all aspects of computing! also the course structure in first year for dt211 and the computer science one are pretty much the same but they do differ afterwards!
    programming is the main module as its a year long module and its weighted at 50% continuous assessment and then 50% for the end of year exam! We done C in first year and its easy as long as you go to the lectures and labs for it and also practice in your spare time or whatever.
    you dont need any previous knowledge of languages before you go into first year btw!
    the hours are long enough as the labs are 2-3 hours and youll have a lab in most subjects then theres lectures and tutorials, i think its around 25-30 hours! but the timetables are fairly nice as you wont have huge gaps maybe the odd one but nothing too annoying.
    if youre commuting a pretty long distance then you should make sure nothings cancelled especially 9ams as this can be very annoying and it is frequent to have lectures cancelled!
    youll probably get your timetable the week before freshers and youll get your welcome packs and letters soon to register etc!!
    enjoy the course, some of its tedious but it gets better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daniel_2014

Thanks very much ! Great to have someone's own opinion of the course and to know what it's like ! The long labs and early starts wouldn't phase me too much it would be finishing late that would probably bother me the most ! but I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way and probably be able to work out on finishing by 5 or 6 a few days a week maybe ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Daniel_2014

Oh and is there much books for the course and would I need a certain laptop !? if u don't mind me asking !?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wazad93

yeah latest finish will be 6pm and earliest start 9am.
    i had a quick check of your timetable and its very similar to what i had in 1st year, majority of days its 5/6 finish but if its a lab and you finish early then you can just go home.
    you can get the timetable from the DIT website ( apparently i cant post links etc cause i'm a newb to this)

regards to books, there arent alot at all, id say if you are learning C in programming you will need the book which the second years can sell to you for a 5er or so!! but other than that its all notes from lecturers!

a laptop its not essential and no requirements on a make!
    you can bring it in and take your notes on it and do the programs during lectures but for labs you don't need it as there is computers although very slow! its up to yourself whichever you would feel comfortable with!

hope that helps!

Advertisement