Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Moving cold water tank in attic

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone give me a ball park figure of how much a plumber would charge me for moving a cold water tank in my attic. I need it moved about 5 feet in total to the side then turned and lifted up about a foot. It's a plastic tank about 5 foot long, 2 feet wide and about 3 feet tall. It looks like it has 5 pipes coming from it, 3 copper and 2 plastic, as well as one copper pipe that goes into the top of it. Any information would be good thanks.
    And yes I know it wouldn't be too difficult to DIY but I've never done any plumbing and don't feel confident enough to attempt it without having someone there who knows what they're doing. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

300 inc vat

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Elothar

wow! I didn't think it'd be that much. Guess I might have to rethink that DIY option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Elothar wrote: »
    wow! I didn't think it'd be that much. Guess I might have to rethink that DIY option.

There is much more to this than you think. Where ever it is moved to (20 inches or 20 feet) it has to be supported properly so it has to be sited properly. You also want it raised. This means building a support frame.

There is already a support frame in place which just needs to be resited, I could do that meself. To be honest all I'd need the plumber for is to lengthen/shorten the pipework and to ensure that any airlocks in the central heating system were removed if they got in. Everything else I'd be confident of doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi Elothar - Resurrecting an old thread here - did you move water tank in '14 and what was involved - can you let us know how much it cost if you had to get a plumber? Anything else to be aware of...tks.

• Advertisement

Hi coxy123,
    in the end I took the advice I was mostly given and didn't move the tank myself. In fact I aint moved it at all. I insulated around it and left it in place. Sorry I can't give you any advice. Good luck moving yours! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My mother was quoted something like 1200 recently for just replacing the existing for slightly larger in the same place, so you're doing well!

Advertisement