Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PC crashes at windows logo!

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently switched on my PC and just at the windows logo on startup I see a blue screen of death and it restarts in windows repair mode which says it can't resolve the issue.

My office space was fairly dusty so I assumes that was the issue but after a good cleanup of surrounding area and removal of dust inside PC I am still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What's the error code on the blue screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

What's the error code on the blue screen?

It doesn't give me a chance to read it as it restarts almost immediately. But there is a lot of text there

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Restart your computer, when you see the first spash screen (before the windows logo you usually see the bios post screen) tap F8 twice every second and you should get a menu highlight start in safe mode and see if it boots. If so report back for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Soft boot your pc and see if you can solve the problem from there.

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    Restart your computer, when you see the first spash screen (before the windows logo you usually see the bios post screen) tap F8 twice every second and you should get a menu highlight start in safe mode and see if it boots. If so report back for more info

I tried that, when I selected safe mode and last known good configuration it just went blank and restarted.

Also I haven't installed any new hardware.

• Advertisement

Ok, did you apply any recent windows updates? Knowing the stop code from the blue screen would be of great help.
    Can you make sure the only things cables currently connected to the pc are power, mouse, keyboard and monitor. If there's other devices plugged in that are malfunctioning they could be causing this issue.
    If you've already unplugged all these devices, do you have a windows install disk near by. May need to try a repair of windows

Ok, did you apply any recent windows updates? Knowing the stop code from the blue screen would be of great help.
    Can you make sure the only things cables currently connected to the pc are power, mouse, keyboard and monitor. If there's other devices plugged in that are malfunctioning they could be causing this issue.
    If you've already unplugged all these devices, do you have a windows install disk near by. May need to try a repair of windows

There may have been an auto update but not certain. I unplugged all but power keyboard mouse and monitor and now it doesn't go as far as windows logo. (Although I reset CMOS by removing battery and reinserting it)

How far does it get? Does it POST? (get past the bios splash screen)

If you're comfortable reseating internal components, can you reseat the HDD cables and RAM

How far does it get? Does it POST? (get past the bios splash screen)

If you're comfortable reseating internal components, can you reseat the HDD cables and RAM

Yea gets to windows logo. I checked all cables.

I also tried booting from windows disk but it looked to install windows as opposed to offering to repair

• Advertisement

what version of windows is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

use F8 to bring up the advanced boot options menu again and the select the

"Disable automatic restart on system failure"

it will then allow you all the time you need to read the error message, may even be more beneficial to take a picture and post it up

what version of windows is it?

Win 7

slade_x wrote: »
    use F8 to bring up the advanced boot options menu again and the select the

"Disable automatic restart on system failure"

it will then allow you all the time you need to read the error message, may even be more beneficial to take a picture and post it up

f8 doesn't appear to work

Now things are worse.

LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM...

BOOTMGR IS MISSING

I've attached an image of the blue screen

Did you manage to get this fixed?

Microsoft suggests an issue with the graphics drivers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

Do you have a graphics card or are the graphics onboard?

Yea I actually ended up getting a new hard drive and all is fine now! ;)

cool!

• Advertisement
Advertisement