Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings question ?

Options
  • 22-08-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello so .. Very bad with my money and trying to get a handle on it. Most lads i know are the same so posted on here.
    I live and work in England , dont make much and get paid monthly. When i started trying to save
    I would have a chunk taken out by my bank and put into a seperate savings account on payday.
    Problem was when things got tight or I needed something I dipped into it to get it. So basically getting nowhere with it .
    I went into my bank (barclays) exlained the situation and asked for their help. I asked could they lock my seperate savings account until a given date .. they said they could not do that .. i asked could they transfer an amount on pay day back to my credit union back home so i could not get at it , they said that wouldnt be worth my while because they would have to charge me to send it and that the credit union would charge me to receive it.
    A lad i was talking to yesterday told me he has his savings account locked and can only get at it by presenting his bank with a letter asking to get at it.
    Any useful ideas on how to improve my situation be much appreciated
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Try comparethemarket.com or similar

You could open a regular saver account with limited access (eg no online withdrawals)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Could you set up a credit union or building society account in the UK?

Term savings account are also an option. Some banks do not allow withdrawals until the end of the term (e.g. 2 years). Then again, some allow withdrawals but charge a penalty.

Advertisement