Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books 1st year

• 22-08-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I was just wondering how do you know what books you'll need for your courses? I have selected my modules and now I'm lost as to getting books. I'm doing English, History, Philosophy and Sociology and Political Studies.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Janeh9

I think your lecturers will tell you but I'm not actually sure :P

Do we just bring laptops to lectures to take notes or do we need to bring copies and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24 niamhg49

I have no idea, I know a few of my mates in UCD jut bring a notebook and pen but I really have no clue as far as NUIG goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Lads, if you're going into first year arts you won't be needing any books. Don't waste your money, the library is there to be used and it will more than cater for your needs in the coming year.

As for the notes, either or is grand. I'd advise using a pen and paper unless your a really slow writer. A laptop with WiFi access in front of you is just an unnecessary distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Don't buy books, it's a waste of money. For lectures just bring a pen and note pad. People do bring their laptops but most of the time are just on Facebook and it's a distraction for a lot of people. The only books I ever bought were the novels for English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

the lecturers will tell you about books. you really dont need to buy them in first yr, everything is in the library.

pen and paper is all thats needed for lectures, as someone pointed out, you can bring a laptop, 2 reasons i wouldnt bring a laptop into a lecture:

1. As someone said above wifi is everywhere in college so you probably will not bother taking notes, and , instead, you'll be on facebook or youtube.

2. people will start to dislike you if your keyboard isnt quiet. its f*cking annoying when people with loud keyboards start typing. DONT do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I posted in one of the other threads for first years the books for first year English. Look there.
    OP you are doing all 4 subjects I did for first year. PM me if you have any questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Don't buy any books prior to registration. It's first year - there's more than enough time to pick up the books as you go and no need to worry about them for now. Your lecturers will have recommended book lists for their courses. Some of these will be easy to borrow from the library. Others you might want/need to buy. When a book is recommended try to check if it's really useful to buy it or not as sometimes lecturers over-recommend stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I think using refill pads would make you learn it better then using laptops to be honest, because you are actually writing it and watching yourself write it. Some lecturers may not want students on laptops because they would just go on Facebook.

Advertisement