Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Does anyone know what service is responsible for checking if Google Play is present/out of date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Good work, tatranska, was just looking for drivers for my laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've updated to 4.4.2 which was easy to do.

http://en.miui.com/download-101.html#164

Select WCDMA/CDMA China

Download full rom

Connect phone to PC and move the zip file into download_rom folder

Go to Updater
    Use menu to select package and update and follow the instructions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqn4jfJqyk

I have a probelm though - The ability to root the phone is gone.
    I'll try install the Dev Rom later to see if its restored. version 4.8.22

19543261 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what service is responsible for checking if Google Play is present/out of date?

Theres a link in the first post about installing Google Play

Theres a link in the first post about installing Google Play

I think what 19543261 might have been getting at is what is that keeps Google Play, as an app in its own right, updated? The thought hadn't occurred to me, perhaps it keeps itself up to date?

• Advertisement

I tried updating with the Dev Rom 4.8.22 after having installed kitkat.
    It seems its a different packet kitkat is picie whilee the dev rom is cancro.

The root is now gone from my phone. Has anyone a solution to getting the rooting option back.

Is there any way to revert to the original version of the Rom 4.3.?

Is there any way to revert to the original version of the Rom 4.3.?

A casual google didn't throw up a copy of it. Worth trying 4.8.15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDTB-QHp0w
    corwill wrote: »
    A casual google didn't throw up a copy of it. Worth trying 4.8.15?

Have you a link?

I tried installing the dev rom 4.8.22 again from this video but am getting an error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDTB-QHp0w

Have you a link?

I tried installing the dev rom 4.8.22 again from this video but am getting an error

From your link above:

Below the "Full ROM Pack" and "Incremental ROM Pack" options, there's one for "Older Versions", click on that, and it appears to have links to downloads for the preceding 5 versions, or at least stable versions, I'd say.

From your link above:

Below the "Full ROM Pack" and "Incremental ROM Pack" options, there's one for "Older Versions", click on that, and it appears to have links to downloads for the preceding 5 versions, or at least stable versions, I'd say.
    Cool ..I'll give an earlier one a shot.

Just be careful guys and girls.....I got stuck on Fastboot when i tried it earlier which froze the phone.
    Reading the forums it can cause severe problems but elsewhere said to hold the power button till it powered off. Thankfully it worked:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Who's gonna be the first to do a drop test?

spix wrote: »
    Who's gonna be the first to do a drop test?

I wont do a drop test but I can update everyone on my trials at updating the ROM

I was on Android v4.3 and upgraded to 4.4.2 stable ROM. There was then an OTA update which brought me to 4.4.3
    This upgrade removes the inbuilt ability to root the device in the permissions folder.

I was having problems with putting the DEV ROM 4.8.22 on and got to freeze my start up screen with Fast Boot. A scarey experience thinking I'd bricked my new toy.
    Anyway by holding the power button hard I turned it off and it rebooted normally.

I settled on MIUI 4.7.25 which gave me back a DEV ROM and the ability to root the device.
    I should add that its still showing Android 4.4.3

I linked to a video earlier on how to do it.

Make sure to clear the cache in the process. I didn't at one point and got the Fastboot. It's documented as one of the causes.

It took ages to download the ROM. Probably due to it being in China and them all being awake now but the upgrade took less than 10 minutes.

I'll think about further upgrades later.

I wont do a drop test but I can update everyone on my trials at updating the ROM

I was on Android v4.3 and upgraded to 4.4.2 stable ROM. There was then an OTA update which brought me to 4.4.3
    This upgrade removes the inbuilt ability to root the device in the permissions folder.

I was having problems with putting the DEV ROM 4.8.22 on and got to freeze my start up screen with Fast Boot. A scarey experience thinking I'd bricked my new toy.
    Anyway by holding the power button hard I turned it off and it rebooted normally.

I settled on MIUI 4.7.25 which gave me back a DEV ROM and the ability to root the device.
    I should add that its still showing Android 4.4.3

I linked to a video earlier on how to do it.

Make sure to clear the cache in the process. I didn't at one point and got the Fastboot. It's documented as one of the causes.

It took ages to download the ROM. Probably due to it being in China and them all being awake now but the upgrade took less than 10 minutes.

I'll think about further upgrades later.

Nice work, George Rancid Literature, out there on the bleeding edge! While I was sitting on my hoop and supping whiskey, I came across the following video guides on xda a little while ago, might be of assistance to folks on here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/general/video-guides-updating-xiaomi-mi-3-using-t2848232

Update on my updates.

I turned on the phone this morning to find an OTA update to 4.8.22 weekly update.
    I just updated within the phone and it was sorted.

Looks like plain sailing from here on out .

Update on my updates.

I turned on the phone this morning to find an OTA update to 4.8.22 weekly update.

Had you signed up to a xiaomi account?

Had you signed up to a xiaomi account?

I did.
    Having problems with Google play not opening
    Logged on on web but apps won't install.

I did.
    Having problems with Google play not opening
    Logged on on web but apps won't install.

Maybe try reinstalling Google Play? Most up-to-date apk I can find - forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1996995

Update on my updates.

So I signed up for a xiaomi account, but still no OTA. I'm on 4.3.14, but it tells me I have the latest version installed.

So I signed up for a xiaomi account, but still no OTA. I'm on 4.3.14, but it tells me I have the latest version installed.

You need to put on the stable rom 4.4 for ota to work.
    Ive no joy with getting apps installed.can i revert back to the stable rom safely?

I think what 19543261 might have been getting at is what is that keeps Google Play, as an app in its own right, updated? The thought hadn't occurred to me, perhaps it keeps itself up to date?

I've gotten rid of Google Play as I use a different store, but there's one or two apps that tell me they wont work if Google Play is out of date - even though they work perfectly fine. It pops up, its annoying. Edit: The Guardian app does it.

• Advertisement

You need to put on the stable rom 4.4 for ota to work

Ah, I guess ota only got added as a feature in 4.4 versions, so. Will give that a shot tomorrow.
    Ive no joy with getting apps installed.can i revert back to the stable rom safely?

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, either.

19543261 wrote: »
    I've gotten rid of Google Play as I use a different store, but there's one or two apps that tell me they wont work if Google Play is out of date - even though they work perfectly fine. It pops up, its annoying. Edit: The Guardian app does it.

I can't think of any obvious solution apart from putting Google Play back on; see my post above for a link to apk on XDA.

Just being nosy, which other store do you use?

Blackmart.

Ok guys here's my experiences this evening of trying to revert to a stable rom 4.4.

I was able to put 4.7.25 into the root and enter recovery mode which was fine.
    I then tried to revert to 4.4 which was a disaster.
    Nothing opened. my phone kept restarting, the sim wasn't recognised and my computer couldn't see the phones internal storage for me to do anything with it....disaster

Through trial and it bit of good fortune I got back into recovery mode and rebooted to system 2 which I found out was the previous version installed on the phone. It brought be back to 4.8.22. Ive still the same problems of installing apps but at least the phone works.

Hopefully the next dev update will sort out some of the problems. By their own admissions they concentrated this week on MIUI 6 rather than the ROM.

This could well be a thick question, which I'll blame on being tired, but on the official downloads page (http://en.miui.com/download-101.html), how do we know which version* to select along the top prior to selecting an edition of MiUi to download, or does it even matter?

*TD, WCDMA Philippines, WCDMA India, WCDMA/CDMA China, WCDMA HK, WCDMA Taiwan, WCDMA Singapore, or WCDMA Malaysia?

I'm going to have a proper read of the following tomorrow - "Different MIUI versions explained: Developer/Stable/Ported/Local ROMs" [url=]http://en.miui.com/thread-24860-1-1.html[/url]

I'm going to have a proper read of the following tomorrow - "Different MIUI versions explained: Developer/Stable/Ported/Local ROMs" [url=]http://en.miui.com/thread-24860-1-1.html[/url]

The china one.

The china one.

Just copped that the TD version is for the Mi3 with the Nvidia Tegra 4 rather than the Snapdragon. That would have been a really nice mess.

Ok guys here's my experiences this evening of trying to revert to a stable rom 4.4.

I was able to put 4.7.25 into the root and enter recovery mode which was fine.
    I then tried to revert to 4.4 which was a disaster.
    Nothing opened. my phone kept restarting, the sim wasn't recognised and my computer couldn't see the phones internal storage for me to do anything with it....disaster

Through trial and it bit of good fortune I got back into recovery mode and rebooted to system 2 which I found out was the previous version installed on the phone. It brought be back to 4.8.22. Ive still the same problems of installing apps but at least the phone works.

Hopefully the next dev update will sort out some of the problems. By their own admissions they concentrated this week on MIUI 6 rather than the ROM.

Did Google Play work for you at all prior to trying to flash updates to the phone?

• Advertisement

Did Google Play work for you at all prior to trying to flash updates to the phone?

It worked fine on the original ROM but when I tried it on 4.8.22 it just opens and closes.

I'm hoping things will get resolved on the next OTA this week. Its incremental so should replace anything thats not there.

It just means I cant get any apps onto the phone for now

It worked fine on the original ROM but when I tried it on 4.8.22 it just opens and closes.

I'm hoping things will get resolved on the next OTA this week. Its incremental so should replace anything thats not there.

It just means I cant get any apps onto the phone for now

Seems to be the ROM, but did you try putting Google Play back on afresh with an apk?

Did you get any pre-4.8.22 version running other than 4.3.14? If yes, how was Google Play then?

Seems to be the ROM, but did you try putting Google Play back on afresh with an apk?

Did you get any pre-4.8.22 version running other than 4.3.14? If yes, how was Google Play then?

I tried reverting to 4.7.25 but the sim wasnt being read. Im back to 4.8.22

I was reading the people on MUI 4 couldnt revert back to stock rom. i assuem thats why i couldnt revert to the stable rom having gone to developer.

A bit strange really.

Also GAAPS seems to be a problem for people in general

I tried reverting to 4.7.25 but the sim wasnt being read. Im back to 4.8.22

I was reading the people on MUI 4 couldnt revert back to stock rom. i assuem thats why i couldnt revert to the stable rom having gone to developer.

A bit strange really.

Also GAAPS seems to be a problem for people in general

Was all set to update, but I think I'll hold off for a while, the phone is working just fine for me on 4.3.14 for now. As you said above, their attention seems to be on MIUI 6 at the moment, which is understandable.

SUCCESS !!

I got google play working using this video and mi market https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfjLtPOO32A#aid=P-xPDiZyJqI

It installs a google framework and some of the GAPPS

I downloaded the apk 4.9.13 having uninstalled google play and GAPPS Manager.
    I then followed the video.
    I had to update Google Player which I downloaded in the framework install with the newer version I downloaded.
    Its a case of clicking on the apk.

As past of the process I was able to sign into google an get my phone numbers downloaded and then was able to install my apps including titanium which I used to remove the chinese apps on the phone :D

I've no more to do with it :mad: except to wait for the next OTA update to 4.8.22

Hope this helps you Will. My 2 cents is to move from 4.3 straight to the new dev rom.

Excellent, I'll give that a crack tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

I thought everyone here knew getting play store via mi market, would have mentioned it otherwise and saved you the headache :) It's a well known xiaomi trick around for a long time.

To those who get a mi3 without google preinstalled, you shouldn't need to install any separate apks as everything is in that mi market app by Eric Xiang, it could just cause more problems. The play store/services should update themselves.

Here's a clearer guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBhTKTZ-Cs

spix wrote: »
    I thought everyone here knew getting play store via mi market, would have mentioned it otherwise and saved you the headache :) It's a well known xiaomi trick around for a long time.

To those who get a mi3 without google preinstalled, you shouldn't need to install any separate apks as everything is in that mi market app by Eric Xiang, it could just cause more problems. The play store/services should update themselves.

Here's a clearer guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlBhTKTZ-Cs

Mine came without Mi Market, which surprised me.

Might Come when you change rom.

EEdi you need to change the download limiter to unlimited to enable people large file downloads

That means you must have the miui international rom preinstalled (http://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/ don't think it supports OTA updates) It adds loads of languages, removes chinese apps and installs play store. Most sellers ship it like this.

Wiping the cache now pre-flash, and it's hanging on 98%. Apparently this can last up to 30 minutes (http://en.miui.com/thread-18939-1-1.html), but it sure is unnerving. Anyone else run into this?

• Advertisement

Wiping the cache now pre-flash, and it's hanging on 98%. Apparently this can last up to 30 minutes (http://en.miui.com/thread-18939-1-1.html), but it sure is unnerving. Anyone else run into this?

Took less than 10 minutes for me but I suppose it depends on whats to be upgraded.
    When you go to 4.8.22 reboot and then go back to about/updates. You will get a message that your up to date.Then the little menu button on the bottom left and see available updates.

Disclaimer: you do so at your own risk :D

It worked on the original version. But using the mi market sorted it.

I got a cool free theme with 3 fighter jets going across the screen. When the phone locks you need to touch each of the jets which then zoom off and unlock the screen for you...really cool.:D

Took less than 10 minutes for me but I suppose it depends on whats to be upgraded.
    When you go to 4.8.22 reboot and then go back to about/updates. You will get a message that your up to date.Then the little menu button on the bottom left and see available updates.

Disclaimer: you do so at your own risk :D

It took about 20 minutes to finish wiping the cache, which is line with what folks were saying on that forum thread that I posted.

Now I have a much bigger problem...
    My Mi3 wrote:
    Install update.zip failed!

update.zip signature verification failed

:eek:

I'm googling for a solution or even just a next step, but I'd be pitifully grateful for any suggestions!

Edit: Powered off, then booted into recovery mode, then tried the install again. Same result. Going to power off, then boot into recover, then try another cache wipe, then try the install again.

It took about 20 minutes to finish wiping the cache, which is line with what folks were saying on that forum thread that I posted.

Now I have a much bigger problem...

:eek:

I'm googling for a solution or even just a next step, but I'd be pitifully grateful for any suggestions!

Make sure there are no other version of the update in the root folder ( I assume thats what your doing.)
    Try again. it happened me as well
    Are you putting on 4.8.22. and is it the China Version. I found I had failures when I wasnt careful in downloading the right one.

Does it give you an error log..it should....I reckon it will say you are installing pieces instead of cancro..;)

http://en.miui.com/thread-36699-1-1.html

After MIUI 6 is announced, a lot of MIUIers are concerned about when their device will receive MIUI 6 upadte.

During the launch event, Hong Feng announced that Xiaomi Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be the first to receive MIUI 6 beta testing. In Oct, all owners of Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be upgraded to MIUI 6. And Xiaomi Mi 2/2S/2A, Redmi 1/1S and Redmi Note will receive beta testing by the end of this year.

More detailed initial porting plan is revealed today. Please note that this is only initial plan and may have some changes. We will let you know if there's any changes ASAP.

After MIUI 6 is announced, a lot of MIUIers are concerned about when their device will receive MIUI 6 upadte.

During the launch event, Hong Feng announced that Xiaomi Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be the first to receive MIUI 6 beta testing. In Oct, all owners of Mi 3 WCDMA/CDMA and Mi 4 will be upgraded to MIUI 6. And Xiaomi Mi 2/2S/2A, Redmi 1/1S and Redmi Note will receive beta testing by the end of this year.

More detailed initial porting plan is revealed today. Please note that this is only initial plan and may have some changes. We will let you know if there's any changes ASAP.

Device Model Sequence MIUI 6 Dev ROM
    Xiaomi Mi 1 All models Not Available Not Available
    Xiaomi Mi 2 All models 4th By the end of this year
    Xiaomi Mi 3 TD-CDMA 2nd Mid-Sept
    WCDMA 1st Aug 29
    CDMA 1st Aug 29
    Xiaomi Mi 4 All models 1st Aug 29
    Mi Pad 3rd Unknown
    Redmi All models 4th By the end of this year
    Redmi Note All models 4th By the end of this year

Make sure there are no other version of the update in the root folder ( I assume thats what your doing.)
    Try again. it happened me as well
    Are you putting on 4.8.22. and is it the China Version. I found I had failures when I wasnt careful in downloading the right one.

Does it give you an error log..it should....I reckon it will say you are installing pieces instead of cancro..;)

Just waiting on the cache to wipe again, which will take another 15 minutes or so, will try the install again. If it doesn't work then, I'll have to try something else.

I'm as certain as I can be that I used the China version of 4.8.22, but I have another copy of it downloading to my pc right now. The question is, what do I do next? Complete n00b here. Can I just power it down out of recovery, power it up normally and replace the update.zip file?

Just waiting on the cache to wipe again, which will take another 15 minutes or so, will try the install again. If it doesn't work then, I'll have to try something else.

I'm as certain as I can be that I used the China version of 4.8.22, but I have another copy of it downloading to my pc right now. The question is, what do I do next? Complete n00b here. Can I just power it down out of recovery, power it up normally and replace the update.zip file?

Exactly :)

When the cache is wiped power off and delete the update file from the phone.

Do a cache wipe again before installing the new update....It shouldn't take as long

Exactly :)

When the cache is wiped power off and delete the update file from the phone.

Do a cache wipe again before installing the new update....It shouldn't take as long

Thanks George Rancid Literature. I'll be damned if I'm going back to that ****** S3!

Okay, so got sorted, thanks to the sage counsel of tatranska. Looks like the problems arose from a corrupt update zip, probably related to wifi/download issues with my laptop.

Only issue is that Google Keep, which I use for to-do lists/reminders, isn't working and won't sync, even after a re-install. Not exactly a show-stopper, I'm sure I could find an alternative if I absolutely have to.

The phone is running even more smoothly than before, and it looks like I'll get OTA updates from here on in, at least until MiUI 6 launches. I have to say, it's an absolutely super phone, chuffed to bits with it, despite some stomach-churning moments this evening getting it updated.

I just tried Google keeps. It failed the first time but worked when I did it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement