Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

unaaine wrote: »
    MIUI Version is 4.3.14. I'm pretty sure my updater app has been removed too. If I did update the ROM and I'm really reluctant to do this manually, for fear of destroying my new phone, would any apps & data I've already installed be removed? Do I download an updater app from the playstore?

That's the Android version , what does it say under it? Mine is jxdcnbd14.0 which is from May, current version is 25.0

You can check if updater app is removed by clicking update on the bottom of that same 'about phone' page. When I click it, it just brings me back to homescreen. If it is then you need to flash the new rom in recovery mode. Guide here http://en.miui.com/thread-11047-1-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

spix wrote: »
    That's the Android version , what does it say under it? Mine is jxdcnbd14.0 which is from May, current version is 25.0

You can check if updater app is removed by clicking update on the bottom of that same 'about phone' page. When I click it, it just brings me back to homescreen. If it is then you need to flash the new rom in recovery mode. Guide here

I hadn't noticed the system update at the bottom of that page. Ooops! When I click on it it says that I already have the latest version installed.

The only info it gives is MIUI-4.3.14 current version. That's it. Android version info is 4.3 LS36C. But from reading elsewhere I think there's a couple of mi3 features I don't have. But I am only getting used to the phone so it's probably me!

I hadn't noticed the system update at the bottom of that page. Ooops! When I click on it it says that I already have the latest version installed.

The only info it gives is MIUI-4.3.14 current version. That's it. Android version info is 4.3 LS36C. But from reading elsewhere I think there's a couple of mi3 features I don't have. But I am only getting used to the phone so it's probably me!

You are on this page? http://cms.mobile88.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/mi3-software-update3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Go to select update package. You may need to do a manual update to get you up to OTA. I've linked earlier in the thread on how to do it.

You are on this page? cms.mobile88.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/mi3-software-update3.jpg

Yep! I'd screenshot it but can't post it here yet. But that's the page. MIUI version says 4.3.14 with no further letters as on the image you sent.

• Advertisement

Yep! I'd screenshot it but can't post it here yet. But that's the page. MIUI version says 4.3.14 with no further letters as on the image you sent.

The seller definitely modified it then. I wish they wouldn't mess around with things :/

4.3 isn't the newest version, mi3 has been on 4.4 for a while. If OTA says you are already on the latest version it means you will have to update manually.

Go to select update package. You may need to do a manual update to get you up to OTA. I've linked earlier in the thread on how to do it.

Don't seem to have that option, just system update.

The seller definitely modified it then. I wish they wouldn't mess around with things :/

4.3 isn't the newest version, mi3 has been on 4.4 for a while. If OTA says you are already on the latest version it means you will have to update manually.

Gulp!

One bug I'm noticing is when navigating though the menus with touch sounds enabled, about 1 second after clicking on something there's a little 'pop' noise like the soundfile has finished playing or something. Anyone else got this?

Thanks Spix and Tatranska for your help. Is this where is should be at now to manually update en.miui.com/download-101.html#309 ?

And on another MIUI thread I saw this
    'Note
    Flashing a newer version of MIUI ROM doesn’t need to wipe data, but flashing an older one does.' I'm not sure what this means?

Also is there any danger to existing apps/data by flashing a new ROM?

• Advertisement

Thanks Spix and Tatranska for your help. Is this where is should be at now to manually update en.miui.com/download-101.html#309 ?

And on another MIUI thread I saw this
    'Note
    Flashing a newer version of MIUI ROM doesn’t need to wipe data, but flashing an older one does.' I'm not sure what this means?

Also is there any danger to existing apps/data by flashing a new ROM?

Yep that's the one I'm thinking of updating to. From what I've read here though, most seem to be using the Chinese version but I don't feel like having to manage loads of Chinese bloatware. The Malaysian one will also come with a full English keyboard and google apps built in.

There's also the option of installing the unofficial miui international rom http://xiaomi.eu/community/forums/miui-weekly-rom-releases.103/ but since we only need English there probably isn't much point.

Does anyone else get the speaker pop? Happens about 1 second after any sound is played. Trying to figure out if this is a fault or normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Yep that's the one I'm thinking of updating to. From what I've read here though, most seem to be using the Chinese version but I don't feel like having to manage loads of Chinese bloatware. The Malaysian one will also come with a full English keyboard and google apps built in.

Is there significantly less Sino-bloat on the Malaysian ROM? I'm surprised that it comes with gapps pre-loaded.

Does anyone else get the speaker pop? Happens about 1 second after any sound is played. Trying to figure out if this is a fault or normal.

No sign off of it on mine.

corwill wrote: »
    No sign off mine of it on mine.

What software version are you on? Will have to update it later to see if it fixes it.

It's pretty quiet so could you put your ear up to it just to be sure. Apparently this happened with the htc one and most people consider it normal :confused:http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/272445-htc-one-speaker-popping-sound.html

What software version are you on? Will have to update it later to see if it fixes it.

4.9.5, developer's ROM for CDMA/WCDMA China. MIUI v6.
    It's pretty quiet so could you put your ear up to it just to be sure. Apparently this happened with the htc one and most people consider it normal :confused:http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/272445-htc-one-speaker-popping-sound.html

Just checked it again there, not hearing it. Normal, my hole!

The issue I'm having is with sync, push notifications and widget performance for 3rd party apps, including gapps. Very spotty, not chuffed about it. I'll see if a weekly OTA takes care of it in the next few weeks, if not, I may offload it.

Don't notice it on mine.

The issue I'm having is with sync, push notifications and widget performance for 3rd party apps, including gapps. Very spotty, not chuffed about it. I'll see if a weekly OTA takes care of it in the next few weeks, if not, I may offload it.

Anyone else having an issue with this?

Getting used to mine, and know very little about phones tbh, not au fait with the possibilities yet. Definitely having an issue with push notifications, getting none for skype and if FB messaging notifications come in it's way after the event. Maybe it's a security/permissions issue? Faster gps won't work as it says my phone not rooted. My +add contacts is glitchy. This is apart from not having the newest MIUI version but being told by system update that I do.... I'm wondering if updating the ROM manually will fix these bugs, but I don't know which ROM to choose as the official chinese one will probably have lots of bloatware. Still happy with it though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

What exactly was the problem with the sync? Mine seems fine. Push notifications are a bit dodgy alright. Either coming VERY late or not at all (mostly the latter recently)

I actually sold this phone today......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you a notification tab in the settings menu, with a manage notifications option? Widgets and MiUi don't work too well together from what I've found, maybe because of the Dev ROM

Getting used to mine, and know very little about phones tbh, not au fait with the possibilities yet. Definitely having an issue with push notifications, getting none for skype and if FB messaging notifications come in it's way after the event. Maybe it's a security/permissions issue? Faster gps won't work as it says my phone not rooted. My +add contacts is glitchy. This is apart from not having the newest MIUI version but being told by system update that I do.... I'm wondering if updating the ROM manually will fix these bugs, but I don't know which ROM to choose as the official chinese one will probably have lots of bloatware. Still happy with it though :)

Use The Chinese one. Wdcma if memory serves. I linked to instructions early in the thread. Once your on the development rom,4.4 OTA will work.
    I'm having no problems with notifications.

So I updated the phone to the latest Malaysian release

First thing I tried was to do a factory reset, hoping it would go back to the original Chinese version and fix the sound bug. It ended up being exactly the same as before, the seller must have flashed their own custom rom.

Downloaded the file from Xiaomi, renamed to 'Update' and moved to phone storage. Turned off phone, hold down power + volume up to enter recovery mode and select update. Took its time so thought I screwed up!

Good news, phone is now updated to 4.4 with google apps preinstalled. Bad news, sound bug still happening :(

Colemania wrote: »
    What exactly was the problem with the sync? Mine seems fine. Push notifications are a bit dodgy alright. Either coming VERY late or not at all (mostly the latter recently)

Yahoo Mail app doesn't auto sync at all. It can take 90 minutes after being sent a WhatsApp message for it to arrive. Keep and Google Calendar notifications arrive late, or not at all. As for widgets, they freeze/don't update, even for something like Power Toggles which has root access.

A shame, because I really like the phone otherwise, but I can see myself moving on if an update doesn't sort it out in the next few weeks.
    Colemania wrote: »
    I actually sold this phone today......

What did you go for instead?

Have you a notification tab in the settings menu, with a manage notifications option? Widgets and MiUi don't work too well together from what I've found, maybe because of the Dev ROM

Yeah, nothing in the manage notifications screen that makes a difference so far.

A version of Android that can't handle widgets? They need to sort it out!

Yeah, nothing in the manage notifications screen that makes a difference so far.

A version of Android that can't handle widgets? They need to sort it out!

Set to Notification Bar and Keyguard? (keyguard is the lock screen thing

The MiPad runs a version of MiUi 6, which is where I'm pulling this info from so I'm not a fully reliable ssource

The widgets in Mi Home suck now, I only have a clock going on the Google Now Launcher, every time I switch on I have to open the widget settings and save it back to the home screen. Not a big deal by any count, but still not as it should be.
    What is your widget problem?

Set to Notification Bar and Keyguard? (keyguard is the lock screen thing

The MiPad runs a version of MiUi 6, which is where I'm pulling this info from so I'm not a fully reliable ssource

The widgets in Mi Home suck now, I only have a clock going on the Google Now Launcher, every time I switch on I have to open the widget settings and save it back to the home screen. Not a big deal by any count, but still not as it should be.
    What is your widget problem?

Yep, did that.

Widgets update displayed info sporadically or freeze up completely, like Google Calendar or AccuWeather, such as toggles set with Power Toggles.

It's not death in a slow burning chemical fire, but it's irritating enough to have me eyeing up the new Moto X or a Meizu MX4.

Yep, did that.

Widgets update displayed info sporadically or freeze up completely, like Google Calendar or AccuWeather, such as toggles set with Power Toggles.

It's not death in a slow burning chemical fire, but it's irritating enough to have me eyeing up the new Moto X or a Meizu MX4.

Well that's me all out of ideas then! You've tried the MiUi forums I assume? If you decide to sell can you let me know please?

Use The Chinese one. Wdcma if memory serves. I linked to instructions early in the thread. Once your on the development rom,4.4 OTA will work.
    I'm having no problems with notifications.

With only the most tenuous grasp of what I'm doing I took a chance on flashing the ROM to update to the latest version of Miui. So downloaded the chinese version, renamed it update.zip, copied it the the root directory of the SD card (if I understand this correctly it means outside of the folders?), and then through updater rebooted to recovery mode. Then -> English -> then install update.zip to system one -> confirm= yes. It initially looks like it's updating then it gives an error message Can't find update.zip in sdcard. Please rename the update pack to update.zip and put it to the root directory of the SD card. Anyone any idea what's going wrong?

I then reboot -> reboot to system one and am back where I started - I think!

• Advertisement

Well that's me all out of ideas then! You've tried the MiUi forums I assume? If you decide to sell can you let me know please?

Not really, finding useful info on them isn't the easiest.

Will do, if I sell.

My fault. had checked for update.zip file on the phone through the laptop and it seemed fine. But when I checked the SD card through the folders app on the phone it was actually named update.zip.zip. Obviously I should have ust renamed it update. So I've flashed to the latest version and fingers crossed, so far everything seems fine, if anything it's snappier. And the first sound was notifications from viber and FB. There are a few more chinese apps installed, assist & mi market but the others seem to be working ok.

My fault. had checked for update.zip file on the phone through the laptop and it seemed fine. But when I checked the SD card through the folders app on the phone it was actually named update.zip.zip. Obviously I should have ust renamed it update. So I've flashed to the latest version and fingers crossed, so far everything seems fine, if anything it's snappier. And the first sound was notifications from viber and FB. There are a few more chinese apps installed, assist & mi market but the others seem to be working ok.

Same thing happened to me, originally was just going to rename to update but thought it would be smarter to follow the instructions.

I noticed after updating that certain icons are now missing...backup,video and password. Did you loose these too or maybe its specific to the global rom I installed.

Same thing happened to me, originally was just going to rename to update but thought it would be smarter to follow the instructions.

I noticed after updating that certain icons are now missing...backup,video and password. Did you loose these too or maybe its specific to the global rom I installed.

The systems folder is missing a couple of icons, can't find backup alright. Wasn't overly familiar with what was there beforehand. But most annoyingly the Playstore is not now working. I'm getting no connection retry error message. Have followed all sorts of fixes online and nothing seems to work. Am now thinking about installing an earlier update to see if this fixes it.

The systems folder is missing a couple of icons, can't find backup alright. Wasn't overly familiar with what was there beforehand. But most annoyingly the Playstore is not now working. I'm getting no connection retry error message. Have followed all sorts of fixes online and nothing seems to work. Am now thinking about installing an earlier update to see if this fixes it.

Go through the MI Market for Google play. I've linked to it earlier in the thread. You need to download the Google framework.
    I'm having no problems with notifications and app updates from Google play.

• Advertisement

Go through the MI Market for Google play. I've linked to it earlier in the thread. You need to download the Google framework.
    I'm having no problems with notifications and app updates from Google play.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did all that, probably following your link. Google installer -> google play then install the framework. Still doesn't work. Have cleared data and cache on Play services and play but it still doesn't work!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I did all that, probably following your link. Google installer -> google play then install the framework. Still doesn't work. Have cleared data and cache on Play services and play but it still doesn't work!

Definitely connected to Wifi/mobile data?

Definitely connected to Wifi/mobile data?

Definitely. Browser working, am receiving push notifications etc.

Have you logged the your Google account

Definitely. Browser working, am receiving push notifications etc.

A factory reset should fix it, probably some google files left over from before the update that are interfering.

http://webcazine.com/11194/how-to-factory-reset-a-xiaomi-mi-3/

• Advertisement

Have you logged the your Google account

Am receiving my gmails..

A factory reset should fix it, probably some google files left over from before the update that are interfering.

//webcazine.com/11194/how-to-factory-reset-a-xiaomi-mi-3/[/url]

Happened to be in a chinese shop on Moore street recently getting an old samsung fixed up for my son and when the guy saw the mi3 he said that whatever else I did with it I should not do a factory reset as he had someone come to him recently who did this and wiped everything. The phone was ruined. Now maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about, but as I certainly don't I'd be very reluctant to do a factory reset myself.

Happened to be in a chinese shop on Moore street recently getting an old samsung fixed up for my son and when the guy saw the mi3 he said that whatever else I did with it I should not do a factory reset as he had someone come to him recently who did this and wiped everything. The phone was ruined. Now maybe he doesn't know what he's talking about, but as I certainly don't I'd be very reluctant to do a factory reset myself.

It's fine... I did it after updating and most people recommend it. It simply resets everything back to default as if you just turned on the phone for the first time.

Ok. Playstore working now and I also re-installed any apps that weren't. Basically I uninstalled & then re-installed Google installer, google framework and then play. I've done this once or twice before but no luck til now. I am wondering however if there's a chance that I didn't correctly install all of the framework options properly as the screens move so quickly there's a possibility i hit cancel accidentally. That's the only thing I can come up with. But anyway it's working now. For the moment :)

Just updated to 4.9.12, no changes that I've noticed so far. The change log on the official forum, like most threads on there, is as informative as reading tea leaves.

Would anyone be interested in buying this mi3? Save me the hassle of sending it back to China. 16gb/black, still has factory screen protector on.

I've tested every other function of the phone and they all work fine. Speakers sounds great too, but it's slightly glitchy every time it activates/deactivates which is not very often if you disable touch sounds. Makes a noticeable pop noise, kind of like turning an amplifier off. It's not extremely loud and might not hear it unless in quiet environment.

Would anyone be interested in buying this mi3? Save me the hassle of sending it back to China. 16gb/black, still has factory screen protector on.

I've tested every other function of the phone and they all work fine. Speakers sounds great too, but it's slightly glitchy every time it activates/deactivates which is not very often if you disable touch sounds. Makes a noticeable pop noise, kind of like turning an amplifier off. It's not extremely loud and might not hear it unless in quiet environment.

What rom are you on?

What rom are you on?

The phone came with sellers modified version of 14.0, upgraded to official global version 23.0 but problem persists.

The phone came with sellers modified version of 14.0, upgraded to official global version 23.0 but problem persists.

Maybe a rom issue. Try the miui Dev rom. I'm not getting the problems you're having.

Maybe a rom issue. Try the miui Dev rom. I'm not getting the problems you're having.

Pretty sure it's hardware related. Done some research and its happened to other phones such as the htc one, only way to fix it was getting a replacement. Might not bother everyone but its still a fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement