Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi3 Owners Thread - tips, tricks, updates and everything eles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

spix wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's hardware related. Done some research and its happened to other phones such as the htc one, only way to fix it was getting a replacement. Might not bother everyone but its still a fault.

You're probably right, but you might as well try the dev ROM, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The phone came with sellers modified version of 14.0, upgraded to official global version 23.0 but problem persists.

Maybe a rom issue. Try the miui Dev rom. I'm not getting the problems you're having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Would anyone be interested in buying this mi3? Save me the hassle of sending it back to China. 16gb/black, still has factory screen protector on.

I've tested every other function of the phone and they all work fine. Speakers sounds great too, but it's slightly glitchy every time it activates/deactivates which is not very often if you disable touch sounds. Makes a noticeable pop noise, kind of like turning an amplifier off. It's not extremely loud and might not hear it unless in quiet environment.

How much do you want for it?

The latest Dev rom update is available. 4.9.14

The latest Dev rom update is available. 4.9.14

It's just a small fix for MiCloud, a bug snuck in with 4.9.12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Does anyone here use the MiCloud service? Is there any benefits to it?

fixxxer wrote: »
    Does anyone here use the MiCloud service? Is there any benefits to it?

My google account takes care of contacts back-up, and I use Dropbox for cloud storage of pics and docs, so I didn't bother with it.

I don't know about everyone else, but this is pretty huge imho:

http://en.miui.com/thread-44244-2-1.html
    [ROM]Leak of AOSP for Mi3W. Fully working. 43k Antutu. No bugs. Xiaomi kernel!

Xiaomi leak theirs AOSP for Mi3. It is not CM. it is AOSP, without themes etc. Roms is really great 43k in Antutu. No bugs. orks really fast and smooth. Battery life as in V6.
    As you understand it was made with Xiaomi kernel of course.http://forum.xda-developers.com/ ... rom-leaked-t2876646
    There are only two languages in this rom: English and Chinese.TIP
    Change Language in English
    You must set developer option and then you can select english
    Change Language in Italian/Spanish and others
    Install Morelocale 2...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/general/aosp-rom-leaked-t2876646

I'll be giving this a twirl ASAP. Might be the weekend, though, my laptop is on the fritz.

So I finally sat down to go about flashing my Mi3, and my n00bness has led me to fall shortly past the first hurdle. I put CWM Recovery on and did a nandroid backup. I hooked up the Mi3 to my pc and I can't for the life of me find where the nandroid backup file is, so I can copy it over. I expected to see a clockwordmod folder or something like that, but not a sausage. Anyone have any pointers for me, please?

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    So I finally sat down to go about flashing my Mi3, and my n00bness has led me to fall shortly past the first hurdle. I put CWM Recovery on and did a nandroid backup. I hooked up the Mi3 to my pc and I can't for the life of me find where the nandroid backup file is, so I can copy it over. I expected to see a clockwordmod folder or something like that, but not a sausage. Anyone have any pointers for me, please?

No Mi3 yet for me, but my backups went into a folder called Clockworkmod on the root of my SD card. Worked like that when I was running MiUi too so it should be the same. I know the Mi3 doesn't have an SD slot so try another backup maybe? Even checking on the phones file manager to ensure its there

Edit no. 2 :pac: same story on the MiPad, which actually is a Xiaomi device.

You're certain you're rooted too? A proper backup could take 10 or 20 minutes

No Mi3 yet for me, but my backups went into a folder called Clockworkmod on the root of my SD card. Worked like that when I was running MiUi too so it should be the same. I know the Mi3 doesn't have an SD slot so try another backup maybe? Even checking on the phones file manager to ensure its there

Edit no. 2 :pac: same story on the MiPad, which actually is a Xiaomi device.

You're certain you're rooted too? A proper backup could take 10 or 20 minutes

Definitely rooted, I'm on the developer ROM. Flashed CWM recovery to the device. Spent 20 minutes backing up in recovery. But no sign of a clockworkmod folder! Or anywhere else it might be hiding, I've been through just about everywhere on the Mi3's file manager. Very odd.

Definitely rooted, I'm on the developer ROM. Flashed CWM recovery to the device. Spent 20 minutes backing up in recovery. But no sign of a clockworkmod folder! Or anywhere else it might be hiding, I've been through just about everywhere on the Mi3's file manager. Very odd.

Bit of a facepalm for me, hadn't given ES File Manager specific root access. If I had brains I'd be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭unaaine

Does anyone know how to get rid of unwanted pre-installed apps?

Root, use App Master to uninstall or Gemini App Manager to freeze them.

Finally got a Mi3 today :D Delighted with it! When is MiUi 6 stable out does anyone know? Had enough trouble with Dev Roms on my tablet...

Root, use App Master to uninstall or Gemini App Manager to freeze them.

Thanks. Forgive my lack of knowlege but by Root - do you mean root the phone? Then use an app to uninstal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

unaaine wrote: »
    Thanks. Forgive my lack of knowlege but by Root - do you mean root the phone? Then use an app to uninstal?

If you don't care much about fast updates (which require you to uninstall the chinese apps/install playstore again everytime) and having other languages besides English I'd recommend flashing the miui global rom http://en.miui.com/thread-33881-1-1.html

Yep, as Spix as said, the global ROM may be better, as every update you install unroots the device and reinstalls the Chinese apps

The global ROM doesn't move along as fast as the official, but it comes with play store installed and the Chinese apps are already removed

If you don't care much about fast updates (which require you to uninstall the chinese apps/install playstore again everytime) and having other languages besides English I'd recommend flashing the miui global rom en.miui.com/thread-33881-1-1.html[/url]

Thanks Spix & Digital Solitude. I might just give that a go then. So I don't need to root the phone?

Thanks Spix & Digital Solitude. I might just give that a go then. So I don't need to root the phone?

Nope, there is a flashing tutorial in the first post! Good luck with it

Nope, there is a flashing tutorial in the first post! Good luck with it

Thanks and good luck with your new Mi3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Would anyone be interested in buying this mi3? Save me the hassle of sending it back to China. 16gb/black, still has factory screen protector on.

I've tested every other function of the phone and they all work fine. Speakers sounds great too, but it's slightly glitchy every time it activates/deactivates which is not very often if you disable touch sounds. Makes a noticeable pop noise, kind of like turning an amplifier off. It's not extremely loud and might not hear it unless in quiet environment.

I'm interested. How bad/annoying is this sound?

I'm interested. How bad/annoying is this sound?

If you're in a quiet environment it's noticeable but probably won't bother you unless you're the OCD type. About 2 seconds after any sound is played it just makes a small pop, nothing stupidly loud.

Been researching it and it was a common occurance on other phones such as the htc one, and most people considered it normal. Doesn't happen on other phones I've used though so maybe that's why I took notice. If I hadn't bought the phone as an impulse buy would likely just use it as is.

I have PM'd you.

I managed to scratch my screen..actually my 9 month old did.
    He chewed on the cover when I wasnt looking and there's marks on the corner of the screen.

He chewed on the cover when I wasnt looking and there's marks on the corner of the screen.

Some set of gnashers!

Anyone know of EU/UK stockists of this phone? Going away next Friday and so would need it before then. Cheers.

Anyone know of EU/UK stockists of this phone? Going away next Friday and so would need it before then. Cheers.

Xiaomishop.com

Xiaomishop.com

They say there will be some delay during the holiday period, but not sure what 'some slightly' is... Cheers.

They say there will be some delay during the holiday period, but not sure what 'some slightly' is... Cheers.

Forgot about that... Thats until the 7th. You could wait until then if you're feeling brave, Dhl European will get it to ya in 2-3 days. Other than that ebay with a UK seller is your only option

Oh no !

• Advertisement

xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

As far as I can remember from my dhl tracking, it was picked from a warehouse in Italy. Took less than 4 days from ordering to delivery.

I don't know about everyone else, but this is pretty huge imho:

http://en.miui.com/thread-44244-2-1.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/general/aosp-rom-leaked-t2876646

I'll be giving this a twirl ASAP. Might be the weekend, though, my laptop is on the fritz.

Finally got around to this, followed the above threads and these 2 for directions:

http://www.phonehorn.com/2014/09/official-aosp-rom-mi3-mi4-heres-install/
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/help/easy-flashing-guide-cm-miui-using-tdb-t2868411

Only meaningful feedback I have so far is not to go near the latest 4.9.26 ota of it, crashtastic. The 4.9.18 version is pretty stable, though, but need to properly road test it over a couple of days. I have it set up to dual-boot, so I can swap back to MiUi 6 whenever I want.

One quirk is the strength of vibration, astonishing. You could make someone awfully happy with it! Need to turn it down, it's nearly as loud as a ringer.

Other than that, though, it's like someone dressed up a Nexus as a Xiaomi. Very smooth, very fast. If Hugo Barra keeps his word and releases kernels in the next couple of months, it'll be interesting to see what develops. With the security of dual-boot, I might just go ahead and give that cyanogenmod beta a go next.

Finally got around to this, followed the above threads and these 2 for directions:

http://www.phonehorn.com/2014/09/official-aosp-rom-mi3-mi4-heres-install/
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-mi-3/help/easy-flashing-guide-cm-miui-using-tdb-t2868411

Only meaningful feedback I have so far is not to go near the latest 4.9.26 ota of it, crashtastic. The 4.9.18 version is pretty stable, though, but need to properly road test it over a couple of days. I have it set up to dual-boot, so I can swap back to MiUi 6 whenever I want.

One quirk is the strength of vibration, astonishing. You could make someone awfully happy with it! Need to turn it down, it's nearly as loud as a ringer.

Other than that, though, it's like someone dressed up a Nexus as a Xiaomi. Very smooth, very fast. If Hugo Barra keeps his word and releases kernels in the next couple of months, it'll be interesting to see what develops. With the security of dual-boot, I might just go ahead and give that cyanogenmod beta a go next.

Well, that didn't last long. My Mi3 started freezing and crashing whether booted in the AOSP ROM or in MIUI v6, so I had to do a factory reset and restore.

I'm surprised, because most of the feedback on xda was so positive. Still, I'm pretty new at this rooting and flashing lark, so I may well have done something wrong at some stage along the way. Awful shame, I'd love a Nexus-style Android experience on the Mi3, or better again Cyanogenmod.

That said, my earlier gripes about push notifications and syncing on MiUi v6 have been addressed by the updates since it launched.

Has anyone started uninstalling Xiaomi stock apps yet?

Yesterday's ota for MiUi v6 dev ROM seems to have soft-bricked my Mi3! I'll do a complete wipe, reflash and restore in a while, but just wondering if anyone else is having any issues.

http://en.miui.com/thread-52737-1-1.html

Currently taking "Ivan's" AOSP 4.10.9 for a test drive, so far so good. It now has gapps preloaded; earlier editions seemed to have problems when you subsequently flashed gapps. It's very quick and very smooth, not sure about battery performance yet. Seems to multi task much better than MiUi.

http://en.miui.com/thread-52737-1-1.html

Currently taking "Ivan's" AOSP 4.10.9 for a test drive, so far so good. It now has gapps preloaded; earlier editions seemed to have problems when you subsequently flashed gapps. It's very quick and very smooth, not sure about battery performance yet. Seems to multi task much better than MiUi.

Just updated to AOSP 4.10.15 OTA. Battery performance so far isn't as good as MiUi v6 had gotten over the last few weeks, but not by so much that I'm ready to go back to it. Everything else about it is what you'd expect from vanilla android, much smoother and quicker than MiUi. Hopefully battery performance will catch up shortly. Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll probably stick with this AOSP ROM until a stable cyanogenmod emerges.

A sad day.
    Does anyone know a place in dublin or even Ireland that repairs broken Xiaomi screens?

A sad day.
    Does anyone know a place in dublin or even Ireland that repairs broken Xiaomi screens?

You could do it yourself I'd say, I was rooting in mine a few weeks ago and it was pretty straightforward, or if you've any friends with experience at this there shouldn't be an issue

*Edit* Didn't realize you were on a Mi4! Probably still end up with someone local though

• Advertisement

@fixxer - one way or another, I'd say you'll need to get the screen yourself online, I can't imagine any of the usual spots having a Mi4 screen to hand

A sad day.

You could try Phone Wizz 087 1223112 on Moore Street. I was in there a couple of weeks back getting a Samsung repaired for my son and Alex (a genius at repairing the unrepairable) saw my Mi3 and he was at the very least familiar with the phone. He mentioned in passing that he had someone in recently who had hard bricked (?) their mi3. He's unlikely to have one in stock but maybe he could source one? Hard luck on the screen.

unaaine wrote:
    You could try Phone Wizz 087 1223112 on Moore Street. I was in there a couple of weeks back getting a Samsung repaired for my son and Alex (a genius at repairing the unrepairable) saw my Mi3 and he was at the very least familiar with the phone. He mentioned in passing that he had someone in recently who had hard bricked (?) their mi3. He's unlikely to have one in stock but maybe he could source one? Hard luck on the screen.

Cheers, I'll look into it thanks!

Update available today.

gadgetlite.blogspot.ie/2014/08/xiaomi-mi3-redmi-series-to-get-android.html

Dunno if it's been posted but Lollipop was confirmed for the Mi3, the SDK was out Friday so they've probably started coding already

My screen broke on Saturday.
    Junior is teething and chewed on the corner. All was well until it fell and cracked.
    I ordered a new screen and frame from eBay for €49.
    It was 79 from xoami shop with the same delivery time.

• Advertisement

My screen broke on Saturday.
    Junior is teething and chewed on the corner. All was well until it fell and cracked.
    I ordered a new screen and frame from eBay for €49.
    It was 79 from xoami shop with the same delivery time.

The casing is super soft be very careful taking if off around ports

The casing is super soft be very careful taking if off around ports

I'll probably get one of the chinese shops to do it and put the phone up for sale.

I'm looking at alternatives but back with my reliable HTC 7 for now:D

Speaker issue on my mi3 ended up being a software problem not hardware which is very susprising.

Has disappeared after ota update to miui global KXDMIBH34.0

I got my screen today for my mi3.
    Called phone wizz and it will cost €20 to fit it
    Just hope it works :)

I got my screen today for my mi3.
    Called phone wizz and it will cost €20 to fit it
    Just hope it works :)

Don't feed it to the chiseller this time!

How long did delivery take?

• Advertisement
Advertisement