Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Education Allowance- INTERVIEW

Options
  • 22-08-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    I've applied for BTEA for this September after being made redundant last December. 1st time unemployed in 18 years. I've been accepted by the university for a level 8 degree, my highest previous qualification being FETAC level 5.
    I've just received a call from the local employment services office to say they've received my application and are inviting me for an interview to discuss my options. They also said I should bring a CV. I'm worried now that they won't give me the BTEA. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I entitled to BTEA in any case because I fulfill all the requirements?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Daisy27 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've applied for BTEA for this September after being made redundant last December. 1st time unemployed in 18 years. I've been accepted by the university for a level 8 degree, my highest previous qualification being FETAC level 5.
    I've just received a call from the local employment services office to say they've received my application and are inviting me for an interview to discuss my options. They also said I should bring a CV. I'm worried now that they won't give me the BTEA. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I entitled to BTEA in any case because I fulfill all the requirements?

Have you told them you have been accepted to university?
    If you have been unemployed for 8 months this interview may just be part of the process to get you back to work. Retraining and upskilling is an acceptable alternative. This is one of the options they referred to.

Get your documentation together. The CV they are looking for, but also bring along evidence of your offer, and BTEA application and they may be able to help you with it (if you need it), or put you in contact with the relevant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

This is very interesting, keep us updated on how it went please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Daisy27

Abby19 wrote: »
    Have you told them you have been accepted to university?
    If you have been unemployed for 8 months this interview may just be part of the process to get you back to work. Retraining and upskilling is an acceptable alternative. This is one of the options they referred to.

Yes, the woman I spoke to said that they had received my application for BTEA. I enclosed a letter with it from the university which states that i have been offered a place and includes dates. I'm just wondering if there is a possibility that they will try to make me find employment instead of taking up studies?
    Ill bring all my course details with me as you suggest and ill keep you posted as to the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

The interview is a new step in the application process that has just been brought in this year. Before, they weren't strict about what courses people did but now they want to know that there is a good chance that the course you do does have the potential to get you off the live register in the future. I would just do a little research into future job opportunities before you go in so that you can talk about your plans after college. And don't worry about it, its highly unlikely that they would refuse you if you are eligible! This is a new measure that was only brought in in June so they will be lenient on people this year.

Thanks for the reassurance Flashback :)
    Ill discuss the various jobs I would be qualified for when I graduate, so they'll hopefully see the benefits in investing in my education!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 flashback humour

You'll be fine. :) I'd guess that some people are doing courses just for the sake of it with no research or real interest into what they are doing and that's what they are trying to crack down on. I was told by the BTEA head office that they are going to be very lenient this year anyway as they don't really want someone who was eligible in May to be ineligible in August!

Seems silly to be honest that they would vet your course choice. Surely all further training/education is helpful to an unemployed person.

Anyways.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Darth Floodric

Also interested in how this turns out OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

This only seems to be in certain Welfare offices, I handed mine in 2 weeks ago & they just said you will have a decision in 2-3 weeks. I know of others too that have been approved without interview.

Went for the interview this morning. I had to hand in a copy of my CV which the woman looked over. She asked a few Q's about my qualifications, what I wanted to study and why. She also asked about job opportunities with my degree. I was able to name a couple of jobs I'd researched which I knew would have no trouble finding employment in with my degree. She took note of these. She also asked how long I'd thought about going back to study.
    Overall she was very pleasant and I got the impression these were set questions she had to ask, and hopefully I've answered satisfactorily.
    I asked how long before I'd know if I am to get the BTEA and she replyed that she had to discuss it with other case workers and I'd know within a week or so. The whole process took just 10 mins or so.
    Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks for that feedback Daisy. Good to know. Best of luck with it.

I also brought in all the info I have on my course choice. Although she didn't want to see it as she had enough info with my BTEA form. Think she was impressed that I was well prepared though!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Interviewed last Monday and letter in the post today confirming I'll receive BTEA... Phew! :)

Wow, sounds kind of stressful!! Well done to all of you who did it! And sounds like you did it well! I wonder what they mean by "they have to discuss it". Is there another step in the decision making process? This seems kind of contrary to the official guidelines of BTEA, ie: that as long as you are progressing in education level you application is fine. I don't see why this interview is necessary?! Anybody know whats goin on?

AlexDublin wrote: »
    Wow, sounds kind of stressful!! Well done to all of you who did it! And sounds like you did it well! I wonder what they mean by "they have to discuss it". Is there another step in the decision making process? This seems kind of contrary to the official guidelines of BTEA, ie: that as long as you are progressing in education level you application is fine. I don't see why this interview is necessary?! Anybody know whats goin on?

Thanks Alex,
    Just have to wait it out now. I imagine that the "discussion" of my applicationby the employment services offices has 2 functions- to rubber stamp the application (as in its just a formality mostly). Due to the increasing number of applications they are receiving they must show that this application is acceptable and ticks all the required boxes. Secondly, if they decided not to give the BTEA then I couldn't place blame on any 1 individual.
    I agree that anyone wanting to progress in their education should be encouraged and supported. Available funding for this however is probably limited- hence the interviews.

Received a letter to say i'm provisionally successful in my application for BTEA, pending on my sending in confirmation of registration for college, which i'll be able to do once i register in September :):)
    Delighted now, would have been gutted if I didn't get it after all the hard work filling in forms, doing assignments and exams and attending interviews for the different courses i applied for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Congrats Daisy. Best of luck on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stevewilkos

I have got a letter provisionally accepting me onto a course for BTEA, they ask me for proof of registering full time course, dates start/end and details of the course. I have to pay my fees this week and im wondering is there any chance they can no refuse to give me BTEA? i didnt do an interview for this btea but i did get called out to DSP employment service office after i received the acceptance letter. is there any connection between the 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have got a letter provisionally accepting me onto a course for BTEA, they ask me for proof of registering full time course, dates start/end and details of the course. I have to pay my fees this week and im wondering is there any chance they can no refuse to give me BTEA? i didnt do an interview for this btea but i did get called out to DSP employment service office after i received the acceptance letter. is there any connection between the 2?

I got a letter from employment support at the same time as my BTEA acceptance letter.

The meeting was set for tomorrow at 1130; the same time as DIT induction.

Just call them and explain that you're on BTEA now.
    There'll be no issues.

I got and handed my letter in last week.

Advertisement