Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS not delivering to Tallaght?

Options
  • 22-08-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

My brother out in Tallaght just received a phone call from UPS telling him that they can't deliver to his house there, that instead he either has to give them another address or pick it up from them in person. Apparently one of their drivers was attacked recently and so they've stopped going to that area (haven't heard about this incident but hopefully he's ok).

Anyway, the brother paid a good bit more money for overnight shipping but now it looks like it'll be sometime next week before he receives his product. What recourse does he have now that the company aren't able to deliver to him?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Tell them to send it in to an post for delivery to the designated address. They could at least do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,611 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm guessing your brother ordered something from a company that uses UPS for delivery? If so, your brother doesn't have any contract with UPS, and should be contacting the company he purchased it from

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

A work colleague told me something similar. They had order goods from Littlewoods on line but the courier company won't deliver to Tallaght.
    Has any one else experience of this? I know that there are some crime issues in D24 but it's no worse than a lot of areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Good advice here and like Santa Cruz asked, I'd like to know if others have heard about UPS or other companies not coming to Tallaght. I can't imagine Tallaght is worse than for example some of the Latin American neighbourhoods that UPS do enter :)

I'll advise my brother to contact UPS first with a request to send it through An Post bu ultimately I think the original company he has a contract with will be the one to sort this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tell them to send it in to an post for delivery to the designated address. They could at least do this for you.

I can tell you now that they will not and cannot do that. The contract is with the supplier and the OP should only be dealing with them and not with UPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the seller and get them to deal with UPS. You have no contract with UPS, although you can try to deal with them of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Is it only couriers which get attacked in Tallaght but the an post drivers are ok?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Is it only couriers which get attacked in Tallaght but the an post drivers are ok?

Obviously the couriors have encountered incidents which made them consider employee safety, while An Post did not. You cannot blame any company suspending a service if they have safety issues in an area. Haven't Dublin bus withdrawn services from certain areas from time to time for the same reason?

OP needs to contact the supplier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Rather than make a big issue out of it, can your brother not get it delivered to another address - maybe a family member or a local pub.

Not UPS's fault that there are so many scumbags in parts of Tallaght who target delivery vans.

An Post can get garda protection if necessary as they have a statutory obligation to deliver.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Rather than make a big issue out of it, can your brother not get it delivered to another address - maybe a family member or a local pub.

Not UPS's fault that there are so many scumbags in parts of Tallaght who target delivery vans.

An Post can get garda protection if necessary as they have a statutory obligation to deliver.

Well he paid for a delivery service, in fact he paid quite a bit extra for next day delivery. He will probably end up collecting it by going to the northside on two buses but he paid extra for them to deliver and they (or the original company) accepted the money without mentioning areas not covered by that service.

I think it's important to make big deals out of these seemingly small issues. I think it drives companies to improve their services.

• Advertisement

Well he paid for a delivery service, in fact he paid quite a bit extra for next day delivery. He will probably end up collecting it by going to the northside on two buses but he paid extra for them to deliver and they (or the original company) accepted the money without mentioning areas not covered by that service.

I think it's important to make big deals out of these seemingly small issues. I think it drives companies to improve their services.

Then have him lodge a complaint with the supplier who engaged, and has the contract with, UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Employee safety is the overriding concern of all companies, or at least it should, so the small issue you have is a bigger issue in the fact that our legal system is broken and scumbags have taken over parts of our country. So to get the company to improve it's service you'll need to fix our legal system first.

BTW as an aside not really relevant. Even though they paid extra for overnight delivery the driver doesn't get any extra money so if there's a risk that their van will be damaged they won't take any risk to their lively hood by delivering to areas with small issues.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Employee safety is the overriding concern of all companies, or at least it should, so the small issue you have is a bigger issue in the fact that our legal system is broken and scumbags have taken over parts of our country. So to get the company to improve it's service you'll need to fix our legal system first.

BTW as an aside not really relevant. Even though they paid extra for overnight delivery the driver doesn't get any extra money so if there's a risk that their van will be damaged they won't take any risk to their lively hood by delivering to areas with small issues.

My first post showed concern for any driver who may have been attacked. I can empathise since I have a significant life-long injury after being attacked by scumbags in Tallaght. Nobody should be put in that position to risk an assault, especially low paid and less job secure workers who may feel more pressure to tow the line.

The 'small issue' I mentioned was obviously not the attack or safety of workers, but my brother having to collect the item personally.

I never indicated that because my brother paid extra money that somehow that entitles him to force a driver into an unsafe situation. That's a disgusting idea and a person who thinks I said it needs to re-read the thread properly and stop trying to find ways of being smug and dense.

It's simple. The company should not take money for deliveries to areas they know they don't work in. It can be a very simple automated process and contracting companies can see default options when they see UPS can't complete the service. There's no reliability at all left if a company can take your money for a service but only afterwards mention they knowingly weren't able to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would have thought they would have done something like this, or used an other courier. And footed the bill themselves.
    I can tell you now that they will not and cannot do that.
    How are you so sure, have you had this situation before and been refused?
    It's simple. The company should not take money for deliveries to areas they know they don't work in. It can be a very simple automated process
    This is what I would have expected to happen. It should be easy to implement, detect tallaght in the address and refuse it. This attack incident may have happened after the order was placed but it was a next day delivery so not likely to have been a long time. Even still I would have expected them to come up with some solution for deliveries they did accept, like use an post, rather than do severe damage to any goodwill they have.

Advertisement