Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post, return to sender

Options
  • 22-08-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

can someone please clarify, if they know, cos to be quite honest i cannot find the answer on their website and i ain't going to waste €5+ phone call or writing an email that never gets answered to them.

I understand, forwarding mail to someone else is no longer free.

but

if i receive a replacement item, that has already arrived and need to return this unwanted 2nd item to sender, is that ok? or is there a charge for that as well?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

VEN wrote: »
    can someone please clarify, if they know, cos to be quite honest i cannot find the answer on their website and i ain't going to waste €5+ phone call or writing an email that never gets answered to them.

but

if i receive a replacement item, that has already arrived and need to return this unwanted 2nd item to sender, is that ok? or is there a charge for that as well?

thanks

You should pay to post this and the supplier refunds you the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

but

thanks

No harm in sending an email, I've never had trouble getting a response (or go into a post office)

but I don't see why you think an post would provide that service free of charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Grudaire wrote: »
    No harm in sending an email, I've never had trouble getting a response (or go into a post office)

but I don't see why you think an post would provide that service free of charge?

i can see why if the recipient wishes to forward it to the correct address, say someone no longer living there which is 'forwarding mail' and an post now charge for that which is understandable.

so if an post cant deliver mail to an address, do they not return to sender?
    or will they will look to charge a sender in say USA? perhaps they'd bin it rather than return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

ok, and if the recipient refuses the 2nd mailed item as the 1st item was delivered 3 days late outside the agreed delivery time with ebay & usps, and the customer now has a requested 2nd replacement on the way as they thought the 1st one had gone astray, surely they have grounds to have that mail returned?

well, if thats the case and its a chargeable service, it doesnt make sense, i could send my mate around to say i no longer live there and they will then return to sender, like all unclaimed mail inc. registered mail.

i've emailed an post anyway.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

You can refuse to accept delivery and an post will return it if there is a return address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Can you still cross out your address and write RETURN TO SENDER on the packet, and just pop it back in the postbox? Or have they stopped allowing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Given its An Post they may not even try to deliver it. You might just get the slip in the letterbox claiming they missed you. If that happens they will hold it in the post office and if its not collected after a few days or a week they will ship it back to wherever it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should contact the sender and ask them how they want it returned.

An Post really have nothing to do with this.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    You should contact the sender and ask them how they want it returned.

An Post really have nothing to do with this.

so not much point in placing a return address on anything coming to ireland if thats the case.

some joke.

they told me to refuse it, but it comes through the mail box and theyre gone, no chance to refuse
    unless i wait outside every morning for the next 2 weeks and stop them? hilarious

so not much point in placing a return address on anything coming to ireland if thats the case.

some joke.

they told me to refuse it, but it comes through the mail box and theyre gone, no chance to refuse
    unless i wait outside every morning for the next 2 weeks and stop them? hilarious

You could just drop it in the post office and tell them its an unneeded replacement and the sender said to refuse delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

some joke.

And did you tell the seller that, when they said to refuse delivery? It is their problem if they issued it twice in error so ask them to give you a refund of the postage costs. It isn't rocket science and happens every day.
    Return address is for when delivery cannot be completed, not for returning unwanted goods for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

^ +1000
    Plus, the seller might just tell you to keep the second item for free if the cost of return is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

some joke.

This is bizarre. You ordered something, An Post delivered it, now you don't want it. And you think An Post should pay to have it delivered back to the States?

The 'return' address is there if the item can't be delivered, not because the guy receiving it has changed his mind.

Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The return address is there in case delivery can't be completed. It's not intended to be used to return goods for free.

I'd suggest heading down to your local depot, along with the printed emails, and see if An Post will take back the parcel as "delivery refused". If not, contact the seller and ask how they want the package to be returned.

Return address is for when delivery cannot be completed, not for returning unwanted goods for free.
    And you think An Post should pay to have it delivered back to the States?

The 'return' address is there if the item can't be delivered, not because the guy receiving it has changed his mind.
    dudara wrote: »
    The return address is there in case delivery can't be completed. It's not intended to be used to return goods for free.

What makes you all think An Post would return it for free ? Or that anyone is obliged to accept a package from An Post ? The OP is under no obligation to accept a package he does not want as far as I am aware. Furthermore its the sender that is liable for the return costs not An Post or the OP.

Refusal or return of goods to the sender for whatever reason would be a commonplace occurrence in the postal service I'd imagine. Happened to me not too long ago with Amazon and An Post. I seriously doubt they sent the stuff back to Amazon to be nice. The cost of return would either be covered in the contract of delivering it or recouped upon return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Nothing stopping the Op refusing it, if he does it will be returned to sender. if they cant deliver it and the OP doesnt pick it up, it will be returned to sender.

If they deliver it and the OP then decides that they want to return it they will have to pay the postage.

If its small enough to be put through a letter box then the cost of returning it will be small enough anyway.

Its not an An Post problem.

This is bizarre. You ordered something, An Post delivered it, now you don't want it. And you think An Post should pay to have it delivered back to the States?

Come on.

its not opened, i didnt change my mind, it was sent to me in 'error' as clearly mentioned. i did not want to receive it, but can't stop a flight to shannon and say go back! unopened mail, i went down with it, said person no longer lives there, its now returned to sender. :D

case closed.

Advertisement