Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef in Crisis

1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/

anyone seen videos of this style farming (factory feedlots in usa) on u tube or other source, saw one during week, re food production and its its connection to E-Coli 157 h 7 and the legislation and legislators and their links to well known corporations that brought in law in usa banning criticism of food production and producers methods. needless to say monsanta were mentioned as well as american law that allows companies "import" illegal workers from mexico and the treatment they receive when "found" by police, cant find link to video. only one bit of advice on viewing one , dont watch after eating a burger. wonder what loophole they will find in World trade agreements to "force " EU accept their US exports of beef produce, with assistance from certain countries with big exports in mind or have a read of this
    http://www.factory-farming.com/beef_production.html

Muckit wrote: »
    Coveney seemingly has signed off the deal with China at 30mths. You'd think if there was any real push behind 36mth age limit that he would have looked to include this in this new contract.

wonder who checks those contract papers, with his usual habit of bladdering for hours without giving facts would it be possible that a ready-made form was presented to him for signing with dinner bells ringing, could he have signed something already agreed when Kenny entertained a Chinese Gentleman a few years back taking in visits of Irish beef farms, if memory serves me right Ireland was only country he visited , he certainly didn't visit UK due to the English role in Opium Wars .is that Chinese Gentleman now Prime Minister of China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Whose side do you think Coveney is on?

His own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Quote is that Chinese Gentleman now Prime Minister of China[/quote]

He is yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

sandydan wrote: »
    http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/

anyone seen videos of this style farming (factory feedlots in usa) on u tube or other source, saw one during week, re food production and its its connection to E-Coli 157 h 7 and the legislation and legislators and their links to well known corporations that brought in law in usa banning criticism of food production and producers methods. needless to say monsanta were mentioned as well as american law that allows companies "import" illegal workers from mexico and the treatment they receive when "found" by police, cant find link to video. only one bit of advice on viewing one , dont watch after eating a burger. wonder what loophole they will find in World trade agreements to "force " EU accept their US exports of beef produce, with assistance from certain countries with big exports in mind or have a read of this
    http://www.factory-farming.com/beef_production.html

Are we heading towards the us feedlot style system ? Demanding younger kill out times means more grain/TMR feeding which means more animals finished out of sheds- can't see that working out well for farmers in the long run - thinking of how the poultry industry went -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are we heading towards the us feedlot style system ? Demanding younger kill out times means more grain/TMR feeding which means more animals finished out of sheds- can't see that working out well for farmers in the long run - thinking of how the poultry industry went -

...and keep one fella with a few angus' in a green field for the tv ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Farmer wrote: »
    ...and keep one fella with a few angus' in a green field for the tv ads.

Ya and Bord Bia might supply him with a fine wax jacket and hunter wellies so he looks prosperous !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

Markcheese wrote: »

I hope smaller farmers cop on and start to work together as a group to ensure a future for themselves. Age limits are nothing more than a way of taking any control off farmers/producers and handing it to processors/retailers……..Stock can't be held in order to hold out for higher prices, we are forced into a higher inputs numbers game where we are the losers - retailers/processors getter larger numbers and better quality stock/ use it as a stick to beat us down and then don't even seem to bother to sell the product as the quality product it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Brass Tag

It's getting worse!! Even Goodman is bolloxed. http://bloom.bg/1wQT0CP

• Advertisement

Brass Tag wrote: »
    It's getting worse!! Even Goodman is bolloxed. http://bloom.bg/1wQT0CP

I doubt it…him or his offspring aided and abetted by brown envelopes/political corruption will probably corner the market in soy/whatever processing and pauperise the poor whores that have the cheek to try and make a living for themselves growing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dawn-meats-to-buy-stake-in-top-french-beef-producer-30764437.html

reading this I was thinking

ok larry you take Poland and the uk and i'll take france !!

the irish factories will take over Europe mark my words!

oh wait they already have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dawn-meats-to-buy-stake-in-top-french-beef-producer-30764437.html

reading this I was thinking

ok larry you take Poland and the uk and i'll take france !!

the irish factories will take over Europe mark my words!

oh wait they already have
    I don't believe that our French counter parts will be as sheepish as ourselvelves..

Willfarman wrote: »
    I don't believe that our French counter parts will be as sheepish as ourselvelves..

ah don't worry….mugginses here in good old oirland will make up for any shortfall there

squeeze the ones whose short and curlies you have a hold of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Her indoors does shopping in Aldi. Got 2 Sirloin steaks for €4.00. Aldi have a voucher in the Sunday Indo most weeks with € 10.00 off when you spend €50.00. This 20% off leaves the steaks at €3.60 or €1.80 each. The steaks were big enough for anyone. Its no wonder beef farming is f**ked. If you went to the butchers you would give €1.00 for a Beef burger or a chicken fillet and till be hungry after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Robson99 wrote: »
    Her indoors does shopping in Aldi. Got 2 Sirloin steaks for €4.00. Aldi have a voucher in the Sunday Indo most weeks with € 10.00 off when you spend €50.00. This 20% off leaves the steaks at €3.60 or €1.80 each. The steaks were big enough for anyone. Its no wonder beef farming is f**ked. If you went to the butchers you would give €1.00 for a Beef burger or a chicken fillet and till be hungry after it

While Butchers have an easy argument against the "cheap N' nasty" meat provided by the Tesco's of this world.. Aldi meat is well presented and consistently of a high quality, and cheap !.
    We do support our local butcher shop when possible, but it's the old problem, we do our main grocery shopping in Aldi most weeks, so don't have a reason to stop in the local town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Robson99 wrote: »

4 euro would be exceptionally cheap for two steaks. Wonder is it a promotion. Even ribeye steaks are often the bones of 8 euro for two. Nust be some sort of offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

And the multinationals know this! Once they have you in the door they know the majority will do all of their shopping there because 'it's handy.' But you are paying well for that convenience.

I notice service providers (Electricity, phone, cable etc) play on the 'convenience' aspect also. They offer a carrot to get you hooked, then that's gradually done away with in a sneaky way! They want to tie you in to a contract and make it difficult for you to leave. You stay because 'it's handier.' The day of giving discounts to the loyal customer is gone. It actually doesn't pay a customer to be loyal anymore, which is wrong in my opinion. It's 'ride the lazy b**tard for all ya can.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Pudsey I reckon it's the offer Aldi has every Thursday where different selected meats are €4 per packet. Hoping that steaks will be the loss leader to sell more items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    And the multinationals know this! Once they have you in the door they know the majority will do all of their shopping there because 'it's handy.' But you are paying well for that convenience.

I notice service providers (Electricity, phone, cable etc) play on the 'convenience' aspect also. They offer a carrot to get you hooked, then that's gradually done away with in a sneaky way! They want to tie you in to a contract and make it difficult for you to leave. You stay because 'it's handier.' The day of giving discounts to the loyal customer is gone. It actually doesn't pay a customer to be loyal anymore, which is wrong in my opinion. It's 'ride the lazy b**tard for all ya can.'

It always pays to threaten to leave :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kovu wrote: »
    Pudsey I reckon it's the offer Aldi has every Thursday where different selected meats are €4 per packet. Hoping that steaks will be the loss leader to sell more items.
    aldi do super 6 offers, this week they have all 6 euro
    irish pork loin joint plain or stuffed
    irish large ham fillet
    8 irish chicken fillet portions
    irish lamb chops
    irish housekeepers cut
    28 day dry aged irish angus ribeye/striplion steak 227g
    the offer before that was 4 euro meat cant remember what was in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

4 euro would be exceptionally cheap for two steaks. Wonder is it a promotion. Even ribeye steaks are often the bones of 8 euro for two. Nust be some sort of offer.

I think they are € 6.99 some of the time but the offer or €4.00 is quiet common. They always have very good value in meats

the problem i have with those loss leaders is they are a stick to beat local butcher and small business, and our local butcher buys local and pays well too, so i support him as do most of neighbours, problem is unemployed or low paid or those traveling long distance to work on min wage to avoid dole have no option if they wish to put meat in a stew once or twice weekly have no option.
    i know fellas get fed up hearing of those on low pay as no one including farmers, has big earnings now-days, but a few local i know have opted to find work in Dublin Ni, Scotland and UK (both manual and office type) and return home once a month,some of them worked for fellas whose companies feature regularly in ads saying how much employment they provide locally. Aldi and Lidl thrive on those customers and profit margins on goods sold are whisked to Germany on daily basis allegedly.i used to buy tools(drill bits,screwdrivers ) in both but not now,shops and local hardware stores belonging to coops etc keep money locally and employ relatives and neighbours families.

what i did wrong in post above is i should have made it gender neutral ie. i know both men and women who are working away from home,some had a business, in one case both gone leaving family behind, and relatives keep eye on teenage family, some in school and some have shop jobs for pocket money.
    i dont want stray from beef price topic but folk should consider carefully, side effect of supporting giants in gimmicks like making beef or any meat product a loss leader, its one imo targeted product that may leave farmers reeling further from its side effect,
    local family butchers, cheese producers etc are more important than farmers and others may realise right now, and by time it becomes obvious it may be too late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

MfMan wrote: »
    The CCPC get anything?

Should we start our own awards..."Those to screw beef and dairy farmers the most"...some front runners might include

factories & MI
    dept
    ICBF
    IFA
    IDC
    BB
    ccpc
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Not hard to win exporter of the year when you are paying below market value for your raw material as you operate a cartel and are aided and abetted .
    Interesting to note that the Monaghan meat dealer who was put in the frame by Goodman re horsemeat had a slander case in the high court refused on the basis that ABP insisted on a cash deposit of 640k to cover costs before the case began and the judge has ruled for ABP in allowing this scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Interesting to note that the Monaghan meat dealer who was put in the frame by Goodman re horsemeat had a slander case in the high court refused on the basis that ABP insisted on a cash deposit of 640k to cover costs before the case began and the judge has set precedent in allowing this scenario.
    Did the judge actually allow them to do that . Thats shocking , the goodman just doesn't loose .
    That trader lost some serious business over those allegations . I don't know the full details of the case but I thought he had good grounds to bring it . Do you know what reasons the judge decided to refuse it on ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Nettleman wrote: »
    Should we start our own awards..."Those to screw beef and dairy farmers the most"...some front runners might include

factories & MI
    dept
    ICBF
    IFA
    IDC
    BB
    ccpc
    :D

Can we have a poll??:mad:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did the judge actually allow them to do that . Thats shocking , the goodman just doesn't loose .
    That trader lost some serious business over those allegations . I don't know the full details of the case but I thought he had good grounds to bring it . Do you know what reasons the judge decided to refuse it on ?

It seems the amount of security of costs is in correlation to the strength or weakness of the case ABP insisted on 640k and the judge ruled in their favour though he has discression to set the amount obviously he felt Mr Mc Adam did not have a good case !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    While Butchers have an easy argument against the "cheap N' nasty" meat provided by the Tesco's of this world.. Aldi meat is well presented and consistently of a high quality, and cheap !.
    We do support our local butcher shop when possible, but it's the old problem, we do our main grocery shopping in Aldi most weeks, so don't have a reason to stop in the local town.
    My time is spent 50/50 +/- between Longford and NC Dublin.
    When in Longford I always buy meat/poultry/pork from our local butcher. He buys heifers locally, has his own small abattoir and employees 2 other local lads. In addition he gives excellent value, has a great display and on occasions will throw in an extra bit plus lots of bones for the dogs :)
    When in nc Dublin I now prefer to buy my meat etc in Aldi or Lidl. I and my parents before me, used to buy it in a local family owned independent supermarket (with a full butchers counter) but over the years their standards have slipped drastically. They now buy in their meat prepacked from a small boning hall in Meath. The meat is generally tough, there is no indication on the packaging on how long it is has hung.
    However I do still buy most of my grocery shopping there as I try to support local business as much as possible.

It seems the amount of security of costs is in correlation to the strength or weakness of the case ABP insisted on 640k and the judge ruled in their favour though he has discression to set the amount obviously he felt Mr Mc Adam did not have a good case !

not wishing to comment on this particular case, the financial ability to pay costs is lever used by US "justice system" to defeat poor people, thought that didn't apply to Irish "justice or legal system".
    i wonder can someone in this situation appeal to EU court of justice on grounds that they were not allowed contest whatever case on financial grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I said wrote: »

AHH FFS,
    Bow befoure sir Larry goodhorse ltd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

AHH FFS,
    Bow befoure sir Larry goodhorse ltd.
    Not trying to play devil's advocate but it wasn't too many years ago when the same organisation was applauded for been the first factory to pay farmer's on the day.

Base price wrote: »
    Not trying to play devil's advocate but it wasn't too many years ago when the same organisation was applauded for been the first factory to pay farmer's on the day.

wonder if that same organisation owns the incinerator plant in Waterford area (i think) that family butchers in south allegedly must use to dispose of offal.
    i presume the minister for tanks and tractors dept decide who disposes of the product, that is if Coveney is responsible for food and slaughter houses.

according to my source, butchers allegedly pay exorbitant fees to cover cost of incineration of the the offal from their slaughter houses,if that is true it means a company, whose interest is squeezing beef producers and family butchers out of business imo and supplies supermarkets is only outlet for this offal allegedly and is in position to profit further.
    competition authority allegedly know about this situation, they have allegedly been approached and written to on this subject and allegedly ignored it. does anyone know about this situation and if this is allegation is accurate or groundless.i'd like to hear any info on subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

sandydan wrote: »
    wonder if that same organisation owns the incinerator plant in Waterford area (i think) that family butchers in south allegedly must use to dispose of offal.
    i presume the minister for tanks and tractors dept decide who disposes of the product, that is if Coveney is responsible for food and slaughter houses.

according to my source, butchers allegedly pay exorbitant fees to cover cost of incineration of the the offal from their slaughter houses,if that is true it means a company, whose interest is squeezing beef producers and family butchers out of business imo and supplies supermarkets is only outlet for this offal allegedly and is in position to profit further.
    competition authority allegedly know about this situation, they have allegedly been approached and written to on this subject and allegedly ignored it. does anyone know about this situation and if this is allegation is accurate or groundless.i'd like to hear any info on subject

Of course I can't confirm this either, but the dogs on the street knows it's the case. Have heard this from many different sources on numerous occasions down here in west cork

Some interesting comments on a Beef processor code of conduct-why don't we have one in Ireland- and a regulator to police it, with enforcement penalties???

http://www.meatinfo.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/17929/New_processor_code_slammed.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement