Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp Nest

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

Im a PestController.
    Ive all the equipment to get rid of the nest professionally.

Do you by any chance cover Government Buildings?????? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Just leave the nest alone or get a professional to do it. You're going to end up getting stung by a nest of pissed off wasps. They'll go away in a few weeks and you'll never see them again. Just get rid of the nest when you're gone, so no new wasps come back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Kuker321

Nuke it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Just leave the nest alone or get a professional to do it. You're going to end up getting stung by a nest of pissed off wasps. They'll go away in a few weeks and you'll never see them again. Just get rid of the nest when you're gone, so no new wasps come back

Any chance of that happening to politicians?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ive gotten rid of wasps and left others alone, it depends on if they got me mad or not.
    Ok it didnt depend on them getting me mad, but I was able to have them all around me when working, at a closer look I could see they were devouring tiny little aphids, so they do serve a purpose and didnt give an absolute stuff about me, I was moving stuff about, swinging hammers (at nails), they never bothered me, so I have to guess they can detect/interpret hostility/fear? and waving your arms about, maybe making loud noises/large movements? and if you squash them I believe they give off pheromones that may set off a further defence/attack response? open to confirmation. I tried not to squash any of their brethren, not sure if I succeeded, but they were busy so might not have noticed, I was also busy and didnt notice myself.

In another instance, I found some in an attic, big nest, they were pretty aggressive, probably being so near to the nest. Had to retreat a few times, got a can of wasp spray from b&q (€1.50), put on some thicker layers (jeans and fleece) and over that a cheap papery painting boiler suit (not a heavy boiler suit). Taped the joins over gloves, boots and around the neck where I had a mosquito net over my head, they were pissed off.
    Got as close as I dared, sprayed the can from maybe ten feet at the nest, few days it had dissolved, wasps gone.
    Hot work in an attic. Cost, about €1.50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

cerastes wrote: »
    and if you squash them I believe they give off pheromones that may set off a further defence/attack response?

Yup. The pheromone alerts the nearby hive that one of the wasps has died, so they'll go to investigate. If you're in that area they'll smell it off you, and then you're in trouble.

Advertisement