Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy in Irish colleges

• 22-08-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am in 5th year now and I am interested in doing Physiotherapy after the Leaving Cert. The colleges I am considering require 1 science subject. I have chosen Biology as one of my options, will that be sufficient for doing a Physiotherapy course? I'm afraid I'll need Chemistry also, which I am not doing in 5th and 6th year. Any input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 CitrusCircus

Sinmcc13 wrote: »
    I am in 5th year now and I am interested in doing Physiotherapy after the Junior Cert. The colleges I am considering require 1 science subject. I have chosen Biology as one of my options, will that be sufficient for doing a Physiotherapy course? I'm afraid I'll need Chemistry also, which I am not doing in 5th and 6th year. Any input?

I would probably check the Leaving Cert forum for better guidance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Unsure of UCD, but Chemistry would be advantageous for Trinity. You do Chemistry in 1st year in Trinity and if you haven't done it for LC they get you to take a chemistry course before starting 1st year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sinmcc13

I would probably check the Leaving Cert forum for better guidance[/QUOTE

how do you change where to put the question? Sorry I'm new

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

If you do Honours Maths, it counts as a science subject in Trinity and RCSI, if not, more colleges. Chemistry is a hell of an advantage, though, as both chemistry and physics are compulsory in Trinity physio. I did chemistry for the Leaving last year, got a C1, and in physio chemistry I got 58%, whereas I got 59% in physio physics (not having done it for Leaving.) Just to put things in perspective. Good luck! :)

EDIT: See post below, corrected :embarrassed:

Honours Maths is counted as a science subject for some physio courses. However, chemistry is an advantage, I did it for leaving cert and only got 58% in my physio chemistry summer exam this year (Trinity), in comparison to physics (59%) which I'd never done before college!

Entry requirements for physio courses:

UL: Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English). In addition applicants will be required to hold at least an Ordinary Level B3/Higher D3 in the Leaving Certificate in any one of: Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science.

UCD: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, a third language, Mathematics, one laboratory science subject and one other subject of which two of the six must be minimum HC3.

RCSI: 6 subjects including Irish OD3, English OD3, Maths OD3, foreign language OD3, lab science (chemistry, physics, physics/chemistry, biology). HB3 in one of the lab sciences or maths

Trinity: OC3 or HD3 Mathematics, HC3 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry, mathematics or agricultural science

My advice is that you'd be at a serious advantage doing both biology and another science, however my cousin only had biology and he's qualified from RCSI physio, so if you put in the work, it should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sinmcc13

Honours Maths is counted as a science subject for some physio courses. However, chemistry is an advantage, I did it for leaving cert and only got 58% in my physio chemistry summer exam this year (Trinity), in comparison to physics (59%) which I'd never done before college!

Entry requirements for physio courses:

UL: Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established Leaving Certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language; and English). In addition applicants will be required to hold at least an Ordinary Level B3/Higher D3 in the Leaving Certificate in any one of: Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Biology, Agricultural Science.

UCD: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, a third language, Mathematics, one laboratory science subject and one other subject of which two of the six must be minimum HC3.

RCSI: 6 subjects including Irish OD3, English OD3, Maths OD3, foreign language OD3, lab science (chemistry, physics, physics/chemistry, biology). HB3 in one of the lab sciences or maths

Trinity: OC3 or HD3 Mathematics, HC3 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry, mathematics or agricultural science

My advice is that you'd be at a serious advantage doing both biology and another science, however my cousin only had biology and he's qualified from RCSI physio, so if you put in the work, it should be fine :)

Thank you so much! I really want to do physiotherapy so I'll just have to work really hard at it! :)

Sinmcc13 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! I really want to do physiotherapy so I'll just have to work really hard at it! :)

You're welcome! :) You'll be fine, it's a really lovely course, where there's a nice balance between working and partying (unlike med! :P ) Good luck with your studies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Physio is a hard course to get into. The points are very high.
    In my opinion the job prospects and projected salaries are below what students in courses with similar entry difficulty would expect.
    Money isn't everything - but you'd expect to have a job at least.
    Any opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

In my opinion the job prospects and projected salaries are below what students in courses with similar entry difficulty would expect.
    Any opinions on this?

From what I hear, job prospects aren't good for physios atm in Ireland, good options abroad.

Regards physio in UL I don't think they do any chemistry modules, but physics is used a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Any opinions on this?

You need to stop thinking that high points means high earning salaries or good jobs. High points means there are a more popular course, I think many pick because of it being a high point course, not because they want to be physios.
    Jobs in hospitals here in Ireland are scarce but the job market in private practice is opening up, you just need to be very proactive and applying yourself. A job will not land on your lap.
    If you want a hospital/rotational job, the UK has lots to offer and having an Irish Physiotherapy degree is looked favourably on in the UK. (Do note that the pay in the UK is considerably less than in Ireland.) There's also jobs in Singapore, Canada, France, New Zealand and Australia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement