Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching Suppliers as Sole Trader

Options
  • 22-08-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a small online retail business. I have bought my domain name and set up site with shopping cart etc.

I’ve identified some European suppliers and am about to approach them with my first orders.

As I as yet have no stock, and site is not live, I’m concerned with credibility when approaching suppliers.

If I set up as a sole trader will this give me any greater credibility with suppliers?

As there is no ltd. after my name how will they even know that I’m a registered business as opposed to a private citizen?

Does a business account with a bank have an identifiable code or something?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

VAT number would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

I've always found that the cash speaks for itself in these situations.

Approach in a professional manner and companies will/should treat you the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Some companies won't deal with sole traders because if things go badly, you are personally responsible and companies prefer to sue other companies as opposed to people.

Until you have a successful trading history with any supplier, they will probably insist on payment on delivery. Can your cashflow handle that?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Money does talk and i'm sure they would be happy to sell x to you if you have the bucks available.

Unless you are looking for a line of credit with them or discounts but sure if its a newly established business you generally wouldn't get these concessions even with a ltd.

I would make your website live, even if you don't have the products - add in About us, Contact details, Terms and Conditions pages

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Jackos17

I've found in the past that unless I have a VAT number they won't deal with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Just contact them!

They'll let you know what info they want from you. But I'm sure if you satisfy their minimum order, and pay up front, they'll have no problem filling your order. ;)

I'm not VAT registered, as I currently don't need to be, and its never been a hindrance.

Advertisement