Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend away from London

• 22-08-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Haven't gone anyway and need suggestions based on the following if anyone has tips! I want to stay in UK, and just have a relaxing weekend away, not too expensive.

No more then 90mins or so on the train from Victoria (ish!)

Don't have a car so things would need to be walkable?

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Airbnb in Brighton?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oxford's always a nice weekend away if the weather's good - about an hour away on the train, there's plenty to see (I recommend the Botanical Gardens) and it shouldn't be too expensive to find somewhere to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Bristol and/or Bath on First Great Western from Paddington. Bath in particular is very nice and very compact.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

83ste wrote: »
    Bristol and/or Bath on First Great Western from Paddington. Bath in particular is very nice and very compact.

+1 on Bristol, it's a lovely place to go for a wander on a summer's weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Had Brighton/Oxford as possible. Other thing was that I might rent bikes or bring bikes so hmm great ideas thanks folks! Keep them coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I've been living in the UK for five years and I've spent less than 10 nights outside London; all of which bar a weekend in Manchester were spent in a conference centre in Eastbourne.

I need to get out of this city more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Arundel and the surrounding areas in the South Downs is beautiful. Camping would be an option, and plenty of walking/biking trails available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Norfolk/Suffolk, good for cycling breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

New Forest/Bournemouth area if you're into cycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Yeah Im more rent a bike and do the tourist thing than a proper cyclist! Thanks for al the advice, crazy i have lived here four years and havent gone far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bit far away for your requirement, but we went to Cornwall in June and had an absolutely fantastic time. Loads to do and beautiful scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 howisshecuttin

Would second Bath as an option...beautiful compact city and the added advantage of the Roman baths for a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

+1 on Cambridge. I went there about two years ago and did a bike tour on the outskirts of Cambridge. It was fun. The guide took us into the surrounding countryside and the tour ended up in a quaint pub. Then, we had to somehow compose ourselves to cycle back into Cambridge. Fun times :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

FTA69 wrote: »
    I've been living in the UK for five years and I've spent less than 10 nights outside London; all of which bar a weekend in Manchester were spent in a conference centre in Eastbourne.

I need to get out of this city more.

That is not unusual. I know Irish people living in Manchester and Birmingham for 30 years. Never been to London, West Country, Wales (except Holyhead), maybe an odd day trip to Blackpool. They had some Med holidays but mainly holidays spent going "home"

The younger gang though in the GAA etc. are more into travel all over the world.
    The U.K. though is a fantastic country with so many different landscapes, regions that it's a pity not to explore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I haven't seen as much as I'd like but I really do enjoy when I manage to get out of the city.

The Isle of Wight is a great option if you can squeeze another day out of the trip.

Same with Brecon in Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I know like, I just end up travelling somewhere else in the world or else a free weekend back in Ireland a couple of times a year.

Advertisement