Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I couldn't help but notice this tweet posted just now in regards to journalistic integrity;

kL4uhhH.png

Seems to be in reference to this:
    Regarding the “conflict of interest” in my latest piece

The Guardian actually nixed the disclosure of my relationship with Zoe, simply because it didn’t strike editors or legal—that is, The Guardian’s legal department, which approved the final draft—as a “conflict of interest” in an op/ed about abuse. The publication determined the disclosure I provided didn’t matter, since my piece is not a review.

So conflict doesn't exist in regards to op/ed, which is rather different than a review for example.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

So things got even more serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

you know what really annoys me about this whole thing? it's that every single article you read making excuses or defending this stuff opens with a single sentiment: gaming is anti-women.

in doing that, they're framing the entire piece in a way that you can either agree with them, or you are anti-women.

you can hate totalbiscuit and call him a cnut, or call jim sterling a fat queer and it's fine, but if you say anything negative about anita sakeesian's videos you're an anti-female scumbag.

IMO anita sarkeesian's arguments are awful for a single reason: she doesn't actually realise what she's really arguing about. it's not sexism, it's not feminism, it's antiquated and unimaginative storytelling. there's no gender issue involved beyond the one that has more men working in the industry than women

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

wes wrote: »
    You said the information was publicly available, what exactly would Stephen Totillo need to go digging for if as you said the information was public? Seems odd that her editor was unaware of this, or that this wasn't disclosed.
    The piece I linked earlier was Totilo addressing the Grayson/Quinn connection. For posterities stake, here it is again. The Hernandez issue is a separate case and, as far as I'm aware, he hasn't commented directly about this.

A Different Way To Respond To A Rape Accusation [Update]

A game creator being accused of rape via a facebook post.
    Hold on, there is absolutely no comparison between reporting on Temkin's own blog post about an accusation made publicly about himself and one written by Quinn's ex-boyfriend about her and the people she had extra-relational Affairs with.

I would argue that not addressing it actually resulted in giving the accusations far more credibility, and appearance of bias.
    We shall have to agree to disagree there.

I don't understand what your saying Hernandez's gave a positive press for a friend of hers, and that deserves imho some form of censure. Surely she was aware of the conflict, and updating the article months later is pretty poor imho.
    The fact that she gave any coverage to her friend without being up front about their relationship is what is deserving of censure imo. The fact that it was fairly reasonable coverage with no attempts at actual misleading content is what has probably saved her job.

Fair enough, but I disagree, funding the people your suppose to be covering is a conflict of interest.
    I fear we simply won't agree on this but just to clarify, if a journalist directly benefited from the success of the content creator they were funding via one of those services then yes, I'd certainly agree there is a conflict of interest. As it stands, they do not hence my position.

I think it does, as it directly relates to the topic that various gaming sites are pushing, and not covering abuse, that shows a different narrative, then the one they are presenting is again problematic. We have situation were 2 different sides are doxing people. It is imho rather odd to not report both side of this, and again looks like undue bias towards there friends.
    I guess it depends what way you look at the coverage and the reasoning behind it. I don't see this as sites covering the abuse of Sarkeesian or Quinn specifically, for instance, I see it as them covering the abuse of the author of a rather controversial Kickstarter project about a rather controversial subject. and a female developer who has become embroiled in the larger topic of whether games journalists may be too close to their subjects. It's for this reason that what happened to Jayd3Fox, however horrible, doesn't really fit into that over all narrative in the same manner and, as a result, doesn't warrant the same type of coverage. To take some other examples, TotalBiscuit commented directly on the matter and received abuse for it, not just from Fish but from a number of similar sources. That fits the narrative and was covered accordingly. On the other hand, JonTron cause some sort of furore after he said something (I honestly couldn't bring myself to look into it more) but he received little coverage from the same publications. As I said, they literally cannot cover every incident in the same manner so they appear to be covering those most relevant to the topic from both sides.

Sorry, should have posted this earlier. It was primarily Devin Faraci, who runs bad add digest.
    Again, that's not really what we're talking about, if anything it proves my point though. Absurdity of the analogy aside, he's hardly going to be comparing everyone who plays games to ISIS, is he? He's clearly referring to those spitting bile at various people embroiled in the issue.

gizmo wrote: »
    The piece I linked earlier was Totilo addressing the Grayson/Quinn connection. For posterities stake, here it is again. The Hernandez issue is a separate case and, as far as I'm aware, he hasn't commented directly about this.

Ok, now you got me confused.
    Hold on, there is absolutely no comparison between reporting on Temkin's own blog post about an accusation made publicly about himself and one written by Quinn's ex-boyfriend about her and the people she had extra-relational Affairs with.

I think its a perfectly valid one. Reporting on one case, and ignoring the other until readers started asking about it. BTW, the only relevant part imho is in regards to Nathan Grayson.
    We shall have to agree to disagree there.

Fair enough.
    The fact that she gave any coverage to her friend without being up front about their relationship is what is deserving of censure imo. The fact that it was fairly reasonable coverage with no attempts at actual misleading content is what has probably saved her job.

Well we were mislead in that the there friendship wasn't revealed in the first place.
    It's for this reason that what happened to Jayd3Fox, however horrible, doesn't really fit into that over all narrative in the same manner and, as a result, doesn't warrant the same type of coverage.

Except that the whole thing happened to her after she posted a video on this topic taking the piss out of it. So how does this not fit the narrative? Seems to fit just fine to me.
    Again, that's not really what we're talking about, if anything it proves my point though. Absurdity of the analogy aside, he's hardly going to be comparing everyone who plays games to ISIS, is he? He's clearly referring to those spitting bile at various people embroiled in the issue.

Except that he is making a rather general comment, and doesn't specify those spitting bile at all. He uses the term anti-quinn, which pretty much refers to anyone talking about the topic that doesn't take his side.

• Advertisement

Ok, now you got me confused.
    The presence of publicly available information related to Hernandez's case. That is separate issue to Totilo's response to the accusations levelled against Nathan Grayson. Read back over the original posts, it's fairly straight forward to be fair.
    I think its a perfectly valid one. Reporting on one case, and ignoring the other until readers started asking about it. BTW, the only relevant part imho is in regards to Nathan Grayson.
    But you're dealing with two fundamentally different cases, where the subject of the authors in one case is the author themselves in the context of an accusation levelled against them publicly and in the other, an author making unsubstantiated accusations against a third party. Can you honestly not tell the difference between the validity of reporting between the two? :confused:

Well we were mislead in that the there friendship wasn't revealed in the first place.
    True but I was referring to the nature of the commentary rather than the omission of their existing relationship.

Except that the whole thing happened to her after she posted a video on this topic taking the piss out of it. So how does this not fit the narrative? Seems to fit just fine to me.
    Because the only relevance it has to the debate is that extremists exist on both sides. No one has denied this, no one is unaware of this and therefore when it happens to someone with no real bearing on the matter at hand, it goes unreported. For example, as I previously stated, TotalBiscuit received the majority of his abuse from similar sources and it was reported.

Except that he is making a rather general comment, and doesn't specify those spitting bile at all. He uses the term anti-quinn, which pretty much refers to anyone talking about the topic that doesn't take his side.
    I strongly disagree with Quinn's use of the DMCA to take down that video yet I also strongly disagree with the abuse Quinn has received as a result of this story. Does this make me anti-Quinn in Faraci's eyes? I highly doubt it.

Again though, this thread of conversation was referring to the tweets which you claimed existed that were made by the authors of the articles which supposedly decried gamers in general rather than the specific subset involved in the abuse. You've still not shown any of these.

But you're dealing with two fundamentally different cases, where the subject of the authors in one case is the author themselves in the context of an accusation levelled against them publicly and in the other, an author making unsubstantiated accusations against a third party. Can you honestly not tell the difference between the validity of reporting between the two? :confused:

Both parties denied any wrong doing. So yes it does strike me as being similar. Accusation made on the Internet both parties claim innocence. There not exactly the same, but Kotaku are happy to report on accusations made online.
    True but I was referring to the nature of the commentary rather than the omission of their existing relationship.

Sorry, I misunderstood.
    Because the only relevance it has to the debate is that extremists exist on both sides. No one has denied this, no one is unaware of this and therefore when it happens to someone with no real bearing on the matter at hand, it goes unreported. For example, as I previously stated, TotalBiscuit received the majority of his abuse from similar sources and it was reported.

Fair enough, but again look at the narrative being spread, the blame is being directed in one direction, when it goes in both directions.
    I strongly disagree with Quinn's use of the DMCA to take down that video yet I also strongly disagree with the abuse Quinn has received as a result of this story. Does this make me anti-Quinn in Faraci's eyes? I highly doubt it.

He went after this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEDRh9UaxA&list=UU4_bwov47DseacR1-ttTdOg

With this post:
    https://twitter.com/devincf/status/505495442994380800

If you watch that video it isn't anything like some of the others posted on here, just a guy saying he disagrees with the gamers are dead business and thats it.

So wouldn't surprise me if he would.
    Again though, this thread of conversation was referring to the tweets which you claimed existed that were made by the authors of the articles which supposedly decried gamers in general rather than the specific subset involved in the abuse. You've still not shown any of these.

Devin wrote such an article. You can see it on his web site.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Seems to be in reference to this:

So conflict doesn't exist in regards to op/ed, which is rather different than a review for example.....
    I just find it amusing that people would accuse The Guardian, of all outlets, of corrupt journalism... maybe not as amusing as irritating.

Both parties denied any wrong doing. So yes it does strike me as being similar. Accusation made on the Internet both parties claim innocence. There not exactly the same, but Kotaku are happy to report on accusations made online.
    In which blog post did Nathan Grayson or Zoe Quinn deny any wrong doing in the context of their extra-relational affair? There was no such blog post, there was just the original one from Quinn's ex-boyfriend. Therein lies the difference between the two instances as I've outlined previously.

Fair enough, but again look at the narrative being spread, the blame is being directed in one direction, when it goes in both directions.
    I don't think anyone is denying that it goes in both directions but I think it's somewhat disingenuous to suggest that the kind of abuse being thrown at one side is anywhere close to the other.

That being said, the Youtuber you've linked below boogie2988, otherwise known by his more comedic persona, Francis, was also on the receiving end of some delightful insults from various sources on the side which I suppose you could refer to as allied to Sarkeesian et al. Like I said, they're certainly known to happen but they're simply too numerous across the board to report individually. :o

Devin wrote such an article. You can see it on his web site.....
    Are you sure you're not referring to this article? Either way, as I said before, he's clearly not referring to all people who play video games when he uses the ISIS analogy, nor do I believe he is referring to anyone who has a problem with some facets of how Quinn conducted herself throughout the entire affair. The critics again seems aimed at the virulent strain of critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Having read through a few more stories and an exchange on Twitter and the Gamergate hashtag (which a skim through shows some fairly juvenile finger pointing and 'I know what I'm talking about here') I kind of feel bad for gaming sites in a sense. They have a large reader base who are immature and obnoxious, and act as if they're owed something while refusing to contribute in return. No wonder it has crumbled into clickbait and lowest common denominator journalism. I wouldn't even consider them journalists as much as bloggers or reporters (naturally, with exceptions...). I think gaming journalism will grow up when the majority reader base grows up.

Games in general have made bold attempts to move out of the box they get stereotyped in and evolving as an art form, and it's those same immature, obnoxious readers who drag their heels every step of the way and act as if they have been betrayed, which just puts pressure on the gaming news outlets to push headlines like 'is gaming dead?' to maintain interest and pay the bills. It's such a messy situation, but at the same time so isolated from the real world, very surreal indeed...

Enjoy games, support the developers, and observe the groups clawing themselves on Twitter, Reddit, elsewhere. At least discussion here feels rational and nicely balanced for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

What a lot of the bigger Youtube videos going around are doing, I would not exactly call refined criticism...

For one, the Quinnspiracy Theory videos you have linked to straight out said that Zoe was sleeping with men to further her professional career. You see the big issue with that? Also should add - these self-proclaimed critics have nobody to answer to, no representative body that they could suffer repercussions from, generally no accountability for what they say, just a bunch of thumbs up and 'right on, bro!' comments. I would be lead to believe the majority of game reporters do follow a standard of ethics - they're obliged to. They are also humans.

I hold people that call themselves journalists to a higher standard than randomers on youtube. You have to take what they say with a pinch of salt though there is clearly more going on here and the relationships between people within the media is highly questionable.
    As for the 'right on bro' comment it was the medias reaction to this story that created the current atmosphere.

Go back over the comments and you'll see I was initially on ZQ's side before I looked into this more but that didnt stop you from implying I have an agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

COYVB wrote: »
    you know what really annoys me about this whole thing? it's that every single article you read making excuses or defending this stuff opens with a single sentiment: gaming is anti-women.

in doing that, they're framing the entire piece in a way that you can either agree with them, or you are anti-women.

you can hate totalbiscuit and call him a cnut, or call jim sterling a fat queer and it's fine, but if you say anything negative about anita sakeesian's videos you're an anti-female scumbag.

I've called plenty of people cnuts in my time and will continue to do so but I'd never call someone a fat queer and I'd never think that's acceptable.

I'd think you can argue about the validity of Sakeesian's videos without being an anti-female scumbag. I think the problem is there is such a tidal wave of crap that gets thrown at them that any reasoned debate gets drowned out which is a great shame.
    IMO anita sarkeesian's arguments are awful for a single reason: she doesn't actually realise what she's really arguing about. it's not sexism, it's not feminism, it's antiquated and unimaginative storytelling.

But the sexism springs from the antiquated and unimaginative storytelling. I think it's pretty obvious she's suggesting if you change that, you can do a lot to alter the objectification of women in videogames. Do I agree with all of what she says? No, and for the most I genuinely don't think the characterizations of women is meant to be misogynistic but a continuing perpetuation of the pretty adolescent approach to storytelling in videogames - something that does need to change in the future. I think though that some of the arguments about women being one dimensional characters in some of the older arcade games like Double Dragon are a bit risible. Old arcade games had maybe 15 seconds to establish a story, the main protagonists were hardly fleshed out characters themselves.
    there's no gender issue involved beyond the one that has more men working in the industry than women

I think that's being completely disingenuous. From what I can gather, women working in gaming seem to get an awful amount of abuse if they are a visible presence. As Brianna Wu says in the piece below: I’ve personally never heard of a man in the games industry getting rape threats for having an opinion.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/22/5926193/women-gaming-harassment

And here Kim Swift talks about her experiences but says: As a participator in the 1ReasonWhy hash tag, I am ashamed to admit that I am scared of sharing everything; I’m scared of sharing the worst of it. I am fearful of delving below the surface. Talking about this subject in public is terrifying because frankly you never know when retribution is going to rear its ugly head and what sort of consequences will come about because of your words. To tell all, in many ways, either means having nothing to lose, anonymity or extreme bravery, none of which I possess.

http://www.inthebasecase.com/?p=17

Zoe Quinn seems like a toe rag but do you genuinely think she would have gotten this reaction if she was a man?

Zoe Quinn seems like a toe rag but do you genuinely think she would have gotten this reaction if she was a man?

I think any SJ warrior would have gotten abuse for being a hypocrit.

I just find it amusing that people would accuse The Guardian, of all outlets, of corrupt journalism... maybe not as amusing as irritating.

Unfortunately that happens all the time actually, there sites dedicated to denigrating the Guardian, who are for the most part pretty good (the Guardian not the sites denigrating them). It would be nice if the gaming media were to that standard, but I think they have a long way to go.

In which blog post did Nathan Grayson or Zoe Quinn deny any wrong doing in the context of their extra-relational affair? There was no such blog post, there was just the original one from Quinn's ex-boyfriend. Therein lies the difference between the two instances as I've outlined previously.

Yes, I never said there exactly the same, but fact remains, that both stories originated from Internet posts.
    I don't think anyone is denying that it goes in both directions but I think it's somewhat disingenuous to suggest that the kind of abuse being thrown at one side is anywhere close to the other.

I would say the people having abuse thrown there way would disagree. Plenty of needlessly nasty stuff being thrown around, but thats the Internet for you.
    That being said, the Youtuber you've linked below boogie2988, otherwise known by his more comedic persona, Francis, was also on the receiving end of some delightful insults from various sources on the side which I suppose you could refer to as allied to Sarkeesian et al. Like I said, they're certainly known to happen but they're simply too numerous across the board to report individually. :o

That is fair enough, I would say that doxing however regardless would be far more serious regardless of the personality involved. It would be impossible to report all instance of abuse and I don't expect that, just the serious ones, where people are doxed.
    Are you sure you're not referring to this article? Either way, as I said before, he's clearly not referring to all people who play video games when he uses the ISIS analogy, nor do I believe he is referring to anyone who has a problem with some facets of how Quinn conducted herself throughout the entire affair. The critics again seems aimed at the virulent strain of critics.

I get a completely different impression from him, and from the various article in general. It smacks of biting the hand that feeds them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I think any SJ warrior would have gotten abuse for being a hypocrit.
    Because all social justice warriors are hypocrites? Explain, I really dislike how this term is becoming a slur because at its core I think it's a very reasonable and considerate thing that once again happens to be hijacked by arseholes. It's also become a term like "political correctness" that genuinely hateful people use to browbeat others and then hypocritically play the victim.

Also I think it's completely disingenuous to suggest that a man saying such things in the videogame industry would have gotten anywhere near such a level of abuse.

Make of this video what you will, but it's worth pointing out that this guy isn't constantly called a hypocrite, liar, greedy or out to destroy gaming etc (not to mention the lack of rape/death threats either). It's worth asking why that is.

e_e wrote: »
    Because all social justice warriors are hypocrites? Explain, I really dislike how this term is becoming a slur because at its core

The term was always intended as a slur, and I personally disagree with it usage. Name calling is just childish and people shouldn't use the term.

**EDIT**
    As for your other point, I agree that there are some truly rotten people who will attack Women and minorities who play games. IMHO, they are a vocal minority, and they do need to be challenged.

There are also inherent issues with the entire industry, the vast majority of people who work in the industry, aren't really reflective of there audience. I think the best place to change things is hire more people from diverse backgrounds, and then we will hopefully get more diversity in the product.

As far as rape threats wasn't Jack Thompson on the receiving end of some of these? There are few article floating around now in regards to this. Now Women in the industry will receive far more sexualized abuse then men, but wouldn't go as far as to say that no men receive any such abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Because all social justice warriors are hypocrites?

All? No. But I would say "most" is a safe bet. Most of the people I've come across, at least, who self-identify as "social justice warriors" are some of the most obnoxious, hypocritical, lying, manipulative assholes.

That tweet I posted the other day? I can find dozens--hundreds--more like it, all from avowed SJWs. I've seen them tear into the very people they claim to defend because they just happen to not agree with them.
    And as a gay man myself I take great issue with them claiming to speak on my behalf.

The idea of fighting for equality is a noble one--one which I have engaged in tirelessly--but these people are just hijacking the cause to further their own narrow and often closed-minded views. And that's to say nothing of how the renewed narrative of "women are helpless and need constant defending" is a notion right out of the patriarchy cookbook ("male sexuality is inherently violent, female sexuality (such as it is) is inoffensive"). The irony is not funny.

Part of the reason it absolutely infuriates me is that I've spent years arguing against the kind of people who use the nonsense term "PC gone mad". It's really only ever used in cases where the actions of the person doing wrong are clearly wrong; there's no way for them to twist events so they just have to screech "PC gone mad".

But social justice as it exists on the internet? That really is PC gone mad. It's gone so mad that, as I said above, SJWs will attack the people they claim to be defending just because they don't toe the SJW line. It's so bad that I recall one telling a rape victim she probably wasn't even raped, because she disagreed with what was being said.

The doxxing of Quinn? SJWs are absolutely not above doxxing people they disagree with. They're not above death and rape threats of their own. But when they do it they're oh so brave and exposing individuals who need exposing because... well, because they say so!

Up until sometime either late last year or this year I had never even heard the terms "social justice" or "social justice warrior" being used and that's probably because I don't browse Tumblr. My boyfriend once commented that he hates the site for that reason and so I wound up looking into it. I'm sorry I did. Now I have to worry if people think that, just because I support and fight for equal rights, I'm one of those crazies.

I am on the same side as SJWs but I will not define myself as one. Never, until it stops being the label of the absolute worst people we have.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I hold people that call themselves journalists to a higher standard than randomers on youtube. You have to take what they say with a pinch of salt though there is clearly more going on here and the relationships between people within the media is highly questionable.
    As for the 'right on bro' comment it was the medias reaction to this story that created the current atmosphere.
    While I completely agree we should hold journalists to high standards, you understand the implication of this in this particular context though, right? There are a subset of Youtubers who have created a number of videos which have helped frame the debate on one side that are incredibly biased, full of factual inaccuracies, half truths, immature options, poor summations and outright fallacies. No editor in their right mind would approve articles of this standard for some of the larger publications yet these guys can post it online, with absolutely no oversight and it seems to be taken as gospel by a large number of people. They are knee jerk reactions to issues and, in the case with the last video Clandestine linked for instance, seem to be case of throwing as much **** at the wall and seeing what sticks.

If you take a step back, however, and you'll see a different story. In the last 24hrs or so, two petitions have sprung up, one from Andrea Szecher, a small indie developer in Stockholm and another from boogie2988, the Youtuber already mentioned in this thread. Now, look at the wording of these petitions, look at the people who have signed them. Ultimately most people want the same thing here, it's just difficult to see that when elements on both sides are making gross generalisations about each other, some purposefully while others are simply a case of poor choices of wording.

Yes, I never said there exactly the same, but fact remains, that both stories originated from Internet posts.
    Well I'm certainly not going to deny that but just because they both originated from the internet doesn't mean they should automatically be treated in the same manner by journalists when it comes to their reportability.

I would say the people having abuse thrown there way would disagree. Plenty of needlessly nasty stuff being thrown around, but thats the Internet for you.
    It will always look worse when you're on the receiving end of it but those on the outside can still look at it objectively and see there is a very clear leaning towards the clear abuse being directed towards the industry than away from it. That, of course, does not make any of it acceptable.

I get a completely different impression from him, and from the various article in general. It smacks of biting the hand that feeds them.
    Have you given this a read yet? I've never actually heard of the guy but there are some decent points in there. Granted, there are also some terrible ones but I've come to accept that in articles over the last couple of weeks. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I think that's being completely disingenuous. From what I can gather, women working in gaming seem to get an awful amount of abuse if they are a visible presence. As Brianna Wu says in the piece below: I’ve personally never heard of a man in the games industry getting rape threats for having an opinion.

Rape threats? No, but many have received severe death threats. Years ago I worked at Blizzard Entertainment, and I vividly remember a day that Greg "Ghostcaller" Street, the Lead Dev for Warcraft and Mike Morhaime the CEO of Blizzard were threatened with some pretty scary bomb threats at a Blizzard campus, and another bomb threat at the call centre in Cork about 6-7 years ago I believe.

This isn't whatabouttery by the way, simply pointing out that there are people out there who are fúcking insane and it is not right to pile all gamers in with these people as misogynists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sonics2k wrote: »
    This isn't whatabouttery by the way, simply pointing out that there are people out there who are fúcking insane and it is not right to pile all gamers in with these people as misogynists.

I have never tried to pile all gamers in with those people. I think it's pretty safe to assume that most know that it is only a small, but very vocal, minority of people that are that unhinged.

Well I'm certainly not going to deny that but just because they both originated from the internet doesn't mean they should automatically be treated in the same manner by journalists when it comes to their reportability.

I would say that initial accusations have the exact same weight. The accusation in regards to rape against the cards against humanity guy wasn't reported in in the main stream press, when the covered the guy btw. Now, if Kotaku didn't report on this stuff at all, the fair enough, but the fact is that they do report on this kind of thing, so I would at least expect the acknowledgement of such accusations and that they are investigating it.

Either way thing really should have ended there. Things have gotten way out of hand at this point, and nothing is going to be achieved.
    It will always look worse when you're on the receiving end of it but those on the outside can still look at it objectively and see there is a very clear leaning towards the clear abuse being directed towards the industry than away from it. That, of course, does not make any of it acceptable.

Media figures on both side are getting a lot of crap, and the whole thing is rather abusive. I have no idea which is worse, but I don't think a bunch of sites getting together to write inflammatory articles helped, and in fact made things even worse then it needed to be.

Having said that there is plenty of blame to go round, but I would hold the gaming media to slightly higher standard then randomers on twitter.
    Have you given this a read yet? I've never actually heard of the guy but there are some decent points in there. Granted, there are also some terrible ones but I've come to accept that in articles over the last couple of weeks. :o

Oh he does have some decent points, but invoking ISIS is pure bull****, and doesn't help the conversation. Sorry, until I see a bunch of gamers take over a country and start executing people who disagree with them, and engage in genocide, I think it fair to say that any such comparison, is just going to inflame things.

Because all social justice warriors are hypocrites? Explain, I really dislike how this term is becoming a slur because at its core I think it's a very reasonable and considerate thing that once again happens to be hijacked by arseholes. It's also become a term like "political correctness" that genuinely hateful people use to browbeat others and then hypocritically play the victim.

Also I think it's completely disingenuous to suggest that a man saying such things in the videogame industry would have gotten anywhere near such a level of abuse.

Make of this video what you will, but it's worth pointing out that this guy isn't constantly called a hypocrite, liar, greedy or out to destroy gaming etc (not to mention the lack of rape/death threats either). It's worth asking why that is.

Well ZQ did have a go at the FYC guys then they got doxed. Not sure why these guys got attacked and misrepresented but why should that stop a social justice warrior.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMO anita sarkeesian's arguments are awful for a single reason: she doesn't actually realise what she's really arguing about. it's not sexism, it's not feminism, it's antiquated and unimaginative storytelling. there's no gender issue involved beyond the one that has more men working in the industry than women

I think she knows exactly what she's doing - looking at antiquated and unimaginative storytelling in how it specifically applies to the representations of females characters. It's framing and narrowing an argument that would otherwise be pretty much impossibly massive. If it takes Sarkeesian 10 half hour long videos to look at this issue alone - which is a pretty hefty workload for anybody, especially since people want dozens of examples every time - imagine how long it would take if she hadn't set some tightly defined parameters in the first place. I think we'd be looking at a decade-long project :pac: I also think she has largely avoided accusing the bulk of either players or developers of being anti-women or misogynist (maybe the ones who have attacked her directly) in favour of a straightforward textual analysis of the games themselves (where she stumbles, I think, is when she sometimes awkwardly transitions to potential real-world consequences).

Now, I'll be surprised if Sarkeesian finishes up this series and opts to make a 'tropes vs men in video games' series - she's a feminist critic, and this is her particular area of interest. But I'm sure she'd encourage and respect similar projects in different areas. Gaming storytelling is hackneyed and very often pretty awful in a myriad amount of ways. Personally, I'd love to take a deep, serious look at how few games achieve harmony between game mechanics and themes, resulting in extreme dissonance between storytelling and actual playing. There are countless other perspectives and avenues one could take - if women have it bad, gay characters have it even worse, to pick just one glaring example. A feminist perspective is but one of them. Again, no-one here anyway is discouraging criticisms leveled at Sarkeesian's approach or arguments, and even those generally in favour of her approach have happily identified and acknowledged shortcomings. But I for one remain slightly troubled that looking specifically at gender representations in games is considered 'an agenda' or worthy of being entirely dismissed because it doesn't encompass the huge variety of other topics worthy of debate and criticism when it comes to looking at storytelling in games.

As for the industry point? You're right - if game companies had more equality, you'd see more diverse games. It will be fantastic when we see more females developers, writers and creators, or more from different cultural backgrounds (Middle Eastern cinema offers a near embarrassment of riches, for example - I'd love to see a game-making culture develop there). But I don't agree that's the only point. Male writers and directors are perfectly capable of creating strongly-defined characters that don't merely mirror themselves. To stick with female characters, long before there was an organised feminist movement within cinema you had male directors like Ingmar Bergman, Yasujiro Ozu, Kenji Mizoguchi and Carl Th. Dreyer making incredibly progressive, intelligent and passionate films with female protagonists. In gaming, we can see something similar. If we look at many of the most praised and well developed female characters in games - Jade from Beyond Good & Evil, Ellie from The Last of Us or Samus Aran, to name but three - we also see male creators and writers. Again, no doubt it would be great if the industry became more equal, and I'd like to see someone well versed or better experienced in the subject do a big, in-depth industry analysis (which I'd consider very different to the sort of content analysis Sarkeesian is doing) - it would undoubtedly have a positive effect on the types of games being made. But as has been well proven over the years, males are just as capable of developing strong female characters, and women are equally capable of developing strong male ones, even in a production environment where one or the other gender dominates.

I’ve personally never heard of a man in the games industry getting rape threats for having an opinion.

I'd say about 60% of online sessions ive ever been in have had at least a handful of stupid rape comments made to guys. It's a very dumb part of the mouthy 14 year old psyche that rape seems to be a catchall bit of abuse regardless of the gender of the subject

Absolutely. Phil Fish doesn't have a vagina and he's caused some pretty uproarious commentary over the past while.

I don't believe it's got anything to do with gender, more to do with something I've been saying for a long, long time: gaming is a cesspit of obnoxious, socially maladjusted morons who think that the industry owes them something. Once the crosshairs are on someone, that's pretty much it, male or female.

That's what happens when you give those who are, lets be honest here, very likely bullied in real life the ability to bully in the virtual world under the guise of anonymity

Male writers and directors are perfectly capable of creating strongly-defined characters that don't merely mirror themselves.

Good ones are. There aren't many good ones in gaming though, because the industry is only reaching a point where it's possible for the good ones to make a comparable living to other storytelling mediums.

There's also the fact of playing to your audience, and almost the entirety of the vocal aspect of the gaming audience is male

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

If South Park Don't do an episode about this "Gamergate" rubbish I'll be extremely surprised... if they do, well I called it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Cormac... wrote: »
    If South Park Don't do an episode about this "Gamergate" rubbish I'll be extremely surprised... if they do, well I called it :pac:

I'd be surprised if they have even heard about it tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Standman wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they have even heard about it tbh.

Trey and Matt are really big games fans, they've definitely heard of it and their core demographic has also heard of it, so it's a contender I'm sure :)

This whole thing has reminded me that I can choose my levels of interactions with various parts of the internet and that's refreshing because some of the tripe I've seen spoken about on this clusterfk from so many different sources and people is something I'd be mortified to be associated with.

Self entitled arseholes that make up the majority of the "vocal minority" and who go full retard on every slight (imagined or real) on their bizarre bubble world where they have a right to demand artists to tailor a mass produced product to their specific niche desires, a right to get these artists to work for free and a right to abandon all pretences of civility and threaten lives or horrific violations upon people's bodies could and should simply do the entire world a favour and slit their wrists now...

See, that's how easy it is to stoop to their level, so that's why I'm mostly staying away from this and just enjoying my time playing some of the many, many great games I own. None of what's happened will affect them, nothing I can say or do about all of this will make any difference. All I can ultimately do is choose not to buy a product if, for whatever reason, I find some part of it or its creator(s) work or sociopolitical views make me care enough to not want it. I would reiterate my long held stance of "anyone with talent and ideas should be free to make whatever kind of art or product or video or game they want as long as they harm no one." If a woman making a game about her depression threatens you, then that's your issue, not hers. If said woman has abused the spirit of the DMCA to silence critics, then she has done wrong and I don't think she should be given any kind of pass. That does not mean she should have her health or life threatened. If another woman makes a poorly researched and obviously biased series of videos to support her assertion almost to the point of absurdity, then bully for her - all the more so if she managed to get people interested enough to help her pay for the time needed to put it all together. Do I think her work should be critiqued? Absolutely - just like I critique all art and media targetted in my general direction.

Just so we're clear, I'm not looking for anyone to do anything except enjoy playing some games as a hobby and stop defining your life by a past time. :)

The internet used to be a really nice place when it was just the computer science nerds using it (which isn't to say that it never had it's fair share of scandal). Then we let everyone else in on the act and they've done nothing but trash the place and have given birth to this "outrage culture" because most norms are too fking stupid to realise that words have consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

When I first read about the Gamergate stuff, it was being called Quinnspiracy.

Only later I discovered the term Gamergate on the articles of other sites.

Advertisement