Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Sieghardt wrote: »
    My problem was she seemed to ignore or not understand game mechanics that completely subvert the point she's trying to make

like for example, in Binary Domain, if you hit on the hooker, your friendship with most characters goes down, they think less of you for it, it completely subverts the trope but she still used it as an example.

If she noticed that they dont like it she would of made a point about how the game makes you think that women who are forced into prostitution should be ignored.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sieghardt wrote: »
    like for example, in Binary Domain, if you hit on the hooker, your friendship with most characters goes down, they think less of you for it, it completely subverts the trope but she still used it as an example.

Now I can't find a video of that particular mechanic at play to see it in context, and it has been ages since I played the game, so my interpretation might be wrong here. But the way you describe it makes it sound even worse. It only reinforces the prostitute as a worthless background object, worthy of disdain, used to conjure cheap 'grittiness', and you're actually punished (albeit in a completely arbitrary way) for interacting with her (hitting on her). It subverts nothing.

Really subverting the trope would be interacting with the prostitute and discovering a character with motivations, personality and a story to tell, or giving her a useful gameplay role to play.

We are talking about a game, after all, where a major character wonders - and sadly I quote - 'when did ho's get standards?' after talking with the most embarrassing stereotype of a prostitute imaginable (not that the male NPCs are any better developed, mind you - Binary Domain's strengths don't lie in its script). Some troubling response from the player here as well:

There's no doubt other tools are regularly abused to crassly create a sense of 'maturity' in games (and film too), but Binary Domain as far as I'd be concerned is a more than valid example here, and a case of utterly appalling writing to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id just be happy if people would keep their ridiculous PC politics out of my games and leave me alone.
    Why are you so precious about this? People are free to criticize whatever they want on any grounds. It really shouldn't get to you as people have been doing it with cinema, music, television and literature for ages.

Besides ever heard of that phrase "everything is political"? A work of art/entertainment still has an innate political relevance regardless of its intent. You could of course choose to ignore this but to deny it is to dismiss the cultural relevance of games and doing this to me gives them even less respect than Anita does.

The irony here is that people are so quick to label people like Anita as killjoys but I find this constant shutting out of more considerate analysis (rather than good graphics, good gameplay 9/10!!!) kills the beauty, potential and overall enjoyment of video games even more. New perspectives and challenges to the status quo should be encouraged, not dismissed. Otherwise how the hell are games going to be taken seriously culturally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

B0jangles wrote: »
    She made some videos. A great many "gamers" went ballistic because she dared to criticize games

People didn't go ballistic because she dared to criticise games, people do this all the time and do not face anything like what Anita has faced since her Kickstarter campaign.

People don't like being accused of being prejudiced. She essentially said that most video games are sexist which would imply that anyone who buys into those games is also sexist. Not only that but she is misrepresenting games and their motives to get this point across. Things like the Hitman game, where one scene in the entire game has strippers in it that you can kill if you want to, but the game literally punishes you for doing so, it encourages you to be stealthy and avoid them completely. She represents this as the game encouraging you to do horrible things to these women. She could have made reasonable points about the presence of the scantily clad women in the game being unnecessary, but she didn't she needed to absolutely vilify the developers by saying they actively encourage you to do horrible things to women, making anyone who enjoyed playing this game feel like they are sexist scum.

I don't think it's a mystery why this irks people. Especially because a large portion of the internet buy into it and totally ignore Anitas dishonesty (or possibly ignorance) and label those who dare criticise her as sexist.

I absolutely don't agree with the response she received, it was scummy behaviour on the part of anyone who sent her abusive messages. It doesn't change the fact that what she says annoys the heck out of me and many others.

She has accidentally brought this issue to the fore, and that is a good thing. The vitrol and hate directed at female gamers and developers on the internet is pretty disgusting, and this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

People didn't go ballistic because she dared to criticise games, people do this all the time and do not face anything like what Anita has faced since her Kickstarter campaign.

People don't like being accused of being prejudiced. She essentially said that most video games are sexist which would imply that anyone who buys into those games is also sexist. Not only that but she is misrepresenting games and their motives to get this point across. Things like the Hitman game, where one scene in the entire game has strippers in it that you can kill if you want to, but the game literally punishes you for doing so, it encourages you to be stealthy and avoid them completely. She represents this as the game encouraging you to do horrible things to these women. She could have made reasonable points about the presence of the scantily clad women in the game being unnecessary, but she didn't she needed to absolutely vilify the developers by saying they actively encourage you to do horrible things to women, making anyone who enjoyed playing this game feel like they are sexist scum.

I don't think it's a mystery why this irks people. Especially because a large portion of the internet buy into it and totally ignore Anitas dishonesty (or possibly ignorance) and label those who dare criticise her as sexist.

I absolutely don't agree with the response she received, it was scummy behaviour on the part of anyone who sent her abusive messages. It doesn't change the fact that what she says annoys the heck out of me and many others.

She has accidentally brought this issue to the fore, and that is a good thing. The vitrol and hate directed at female gamers and developers on the internet is pretty disgusting, and this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Reminds me of the Mass Effect sex scene scandal. Critics going on like it was some sort of space sex simulator when the reality was a PG scene only seen following a long relationship

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Reminds me of the Mass Effect sex scene scandal. Critics going on like it was some sort of space sex simulator when the reality was a PG scene only seen following a long relationship

It reminds me more of the Mass Effect 3 ending issue. A bunch of man children on the internet up in arms over a total non issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't say I feel sexist for having played any of the games she has discussed. Maybe it's just me but I think it's a stretch to suggest she's implying that people buying the games are sexist. Rather, I would thought she was admonishing developers and writers for being lazy in perpetuating stereotypes.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about her misrepresenting Hitman Absolution and she does tbf but that doesn't take away from the fact that most of the representation of women in the game is utterly juvenile and pretty repellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

She essentially said that most video games are sexist which would imply that anyone who buys into those games is also sexist.

I think this particular point is quite a leap TBH.

Also I think many people want to see games treated with as much seriousness and respect as other forms of entertainment, like films and books and so on. Until the majority of the core gaming audience is able to accept criticism of games from whatever perspective without totally losing the rag, gaming will continue to be seen as a juvenile pursuit.

I mean, people critique films from all sorts of perspectives, be they feminist, queer, or a racial minority and somehow they seem to avoid a deluge of rape and death threats.

I love games, I've played games on all sorts of platforms right back to the mid '80s, I've worked in the industry but I'd never describe myself as a "gamer", largely because of the negative associations that descriptor currently has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Also I think many people want to see games treated with as much seriousness and respect as other forms of entertainment, like films and books and so on. Until the majority of the core gaming audience is able to accept criticism of games from whatever perspective without totally losing the rag, gaming will continue to be seen as a juvenile pursuit.

I mean, people critique films from all sorts of perspectives, be they feminist, queer, or a racial minority and somehow they seem to avoid a deluge of rape and death threats.

I love games, I've played games on all sorts of platforms right back to the mid '80s, I've worked in the industry but I'd never describe myself as a "gamer", largely because of the negative associations that descriptor currently has.

People should be free to criticise games but as soon as their criticism is public it too is subject to critisism.

Im all for better written stories and characters but given the current standard in movies I wont hold my breath for games to lead the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I can't remember the exact quote but I think she did say something along the lines of "you might not think the games are making you think like this but that means its just working even stronger". No idea which video it was from. She does have a habit of telling us how this things make us feel and see things based on whatever she thinks up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It reminds me more of the Mass Effect 3 ending issue. A bunch of man children on the internet up in arms over a total non issue.

Agree! - Nothing but people being dicks on the internet, because they can

Played through the end of the ME series recently (finally) and was shocked at how "ok" I was with the ending (given the whinge-fest that came from it, I was expecting the game to tease some big epic fight then fade to black on a cliffhanger, leaving me feeling cheated) - Instead I got closure for the whole trilogy - not entirely sure what the storm in a teacup was (even googled the pre-update end scene to check if Bioware patched it up much later in DLC)

Potatoeman wrote: »
    People should be free to criticise games but as soon as their criticism is public it too is subject to critisism.

Im all for better written stories and characters but given the current standard in movies I wont hold my breath for games to lead the way.

Tbf, look at the history of film-making, the innovations made in storytelling in the medium (especially in the 60s and 70s) and the diversity of movies released today. Cinema didn't arrive fully formed. It had to grow, innovate by exploiting the uniqueness of the medium and mature. Something I think games are still in the process of doing.

Cinema has space for mindless big budget guff and other more esoteric offerings and so does the world of games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't let that one pass without comment, although the posts above said it too. You're making wild implications here. I don't think there's anything (or at least not very much) in the videos designed to make any players or developers feel like sexist scum, and if they do well that's taking offence to commentary that is not there. The sort of content criticism she is doing applies to the content itself rather than the creators or consumers. It's vitally important that critics are allowed discuss the content and potential readings / consequences without it being implied it is also a personal attack. There's a huge difference between saying 'a game features sexist tropes' and 'the developers of this game are misogynists and sexists, and so are all the players who play it'. You'll find Sarkeesian sensibly avoids the latter train of thought, as there are countless reasons why a game may feature that sort of content, and few of them are are borne out of active misogyny.

As for Hitman Absolution, which seems to be constantly invoked as the definitive evidence of Sarkeesian's misrepresentation of games (is it because the other dozens of examples she uses are much harder to refute?), well here's a video posted in this thread a while back that IMO gives a more in-depth response to the game sequence in question and in context than Sarkeesian did. Although maybe Sarkeesian should have used the Hitman Sniper Challenge clip instead, which I'd struggle to imagine anybody thinking is okay :eek:

I can't say I feel sexist for having played any of the games she has discussed. Maybe it's just me but I think it's a stretch to suggest she's implying that people buying the games are sexist. Rather, I would thought she was admonishing developers and writers for being lazy in perpetuating stereotypes.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about her misrepresenting Hitman Absolution and she does tbf but that doesn't take away from the fact that most of the representation of women in the game is utterly juvenile and pretty repellent.

I'm sorry I may not have made my point very well, I wasn't trying to say she makes people who enjoy the games she claims are sexist feel sexist, I'm saying she makes people who enjoyed the games she claims are sexist feel like they are being accused of being sexist.

I won't disagree with the point that representation of women in games is often weak and I have no intention of trying to shut down discussion on the subject. However that is not justification for absolving Anita from criticism. She does more harm to that particular debate than good by regularly misrepresenting games in order to make the issue seem like something it's not, or at least much worse than it is.

If somebody claims that something you enjoy doing is designed with the intent of producing sexist thrills how can you not feel like they are calling you sexist for enjoying that thing?

I too would like to see this, and like books and movies it will come in time. We've already seen a huge leap in the quality over the last decade it's only going to get better from here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing tropes, that is not the issue and not why Anita attracts such hatred. She doesn't just discuss tropes, she isn't just criticising games, she assigns offensive motives to both the developers and the players using weak logic and misrepresentation to back it up.

Again I'm totally against how people have responded to her, nobody should ever face threats of rape or death regardless of circumstance. The fact that she has received this sort of feedback tho does not make her immune from criticism.

Just rehashed stuff about women having a difficult time of it. Plenty of men in the industry have had similar treatment but I suppose sexist misogyny is a handy diversion from the actual issues.

I particularly like the tweet at the end about having to "help people". Didn't her supporters destroy a message board for people with depression because they criticised her ****ty game?

Tbf, look at the history of film-making, the innovations made in storytelling in the medium (especially in the 60s and 70s) and the diversity of movies released today. Cinema didn't arrive fully formed. It had to grow, innovate by exploiting the uniqueness of the medium and mature. Something I think games are still in the process of doing.

Cinema has space for mindless big budget guff and other more esoteric offerings and so does the world of games.

Mainstream movies made for the masses now are pretty weak. They are frequently called 'made by committee movie'.
    Games seem to be similar in that they frequently pander. There are more interesting game ideas around but they are not as popular. Brothers, journey etc. If something like this makes it 'call of duty' big we will see more. Look at all the minecraft clones/wannabes right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

...but I suppose sexist misogyny is a handy diversion from the actual issues.

What actual issues? Sexist misogyny (is there another kind?) is the issue - if it wasn't, there would be far more people complaining about big publishers hosting 'review events' and giving away consoles and games to journalists. Instead, the people getting attacked are relatively powerless women in the video games industry.

Otacon wrote: »
    What actual issues? Sexist misogyny (is there another kind?) is the issue - if it wasn't, there would be far more people complaining about big publishers hosting 'review events' and giving away consoles and games to journalists. Instead, the people getting attacked are relatively powerless women in the video games industry.

No, the issue was the relationship between devs/publishers and critics. It's not just Quinns bedroom exploits, they were just another sign of the problem. A problem which is detrimental to game consumers.

No, the issue was the relationship between devs/publishers and critics. It's not just Quinns bedroom exploits, they were just another sign of the problem. A problem which is detrimental to game consumers.

How has it been detrimental to you as a game consumer?

• Advertisement

designed with the intent of producing sexist thrills how can you not feel like they are calling you sexist for enjoying that thing?
    Good thing Anita never said anything of the sort then.

It's almost as if people are willfully ignoring her "You can enjoy a certain work while being critical of more problematic aspects of it." point at the beginning of several of her videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

For me it's simple. So many people who self-identify as "gamers" are so used to viewing themselves as under attack, whether it be from ill-informed government officials, random talking heads or advocates of other entertainment media, that they just aren't open to any kind of criticism from those they perceive to be "outsiders".

Nothing Anita Sarkeesian is saying is radical or anything that any other media such as film or litrature hasn't be subject to in the past. It's just that games have never been analysed like this before and so many people are clearly uncomfortable with them being put under the microscope.

On a micro level, I can't trust early access reviews because it seems there is inevitably going to be some strings attached. Whether it's because the reviewers got exclusive access, free ipads or blowjobs there is just a complete lack of reliability in them.

On a macro level, people spend money on **** games based on biased reviews and this damages the market.

Its basic ethics under conflict of interest. Donating to a project means you should not report on it.

On a micro level, I can't trust early access reviews because it seems there is inevitably going to be some strings attached. Whether it's because the reviewers got exclusive access, free ipads or blowjobs there is just a complete lack of reliability in them.

But no-one involved reviewed Depression Quest, early access or otherwise. It's a fallacy being spread around but there's still a not a word of truth to it. There's no reliability in these reviews because they never existed.

For me it's simple. So many people who self-identify as "gamers" are so used to viewing themselves as under attack, whether it be from ill-informed government officials, random talking heads or advocates of other entertainment media, that they just aren't open to any kind of criticism from those they perceive to be "outsiders".

Nothing Anita Sarkeesian is saying is radical or anything that any other media such as film or litrature hasn't be subject to in the past. It's just that games have never been analysed like this before and so many people are clearly uncomfortable with them being put under the microscope.
    Yeah, they want games to be treated as art but seem to think that entails being a sacred cow that is beyond any kind of criticism. Either games are frivolous hobbies or they are worthy of deeper analysis and serious discussion, people should stop trying to have it both ways.

But no-one involved reviewed Depression Quest, early access or otherwise. It's a fallacy being spread around but there's still a not a word of truth to it. There's no reliability in these reviews because they never existed.

You mean nobody named by the boyfriend reviewed it. We don't know what else was going on either with her or the reviewers. In either case, it's not about her sex life alone, it's about the compromising of independent reviewers in general.

You mean nobody named by the boyfriend reviewed it. We don't know what else was going on either with her or the reviewers. In either case, it's not about her sex life alone, it's about the compromising of independent reviewers in general.

Of course it's about her sex life, you wouldn't have mentioned blowjobs otherwise. Even now you're still throwing out the prospect that Zoe Quinn may sleep with people for favourable reviews, only that she hasn't been caught and hiding behind the "we don't know" cavaet.

This is where it gets very murky for me because I just don't see any male people in the industry being subjected to the same level of scrutiny about their sex lives.

Can't let that one pass without comment, although the posts above said it too. You're making wild implications here. I don't think there's anything (or at least not very much) in the videos designed to make any players or developers feel like sexist scum, and if they do well that's taking offence to commentary that is not there. The sort of content criticism she is doing applies to the content itself rather than the creators or consumers. It's vitally important that critics are allowed discuss the content and potential readings / consequences without it being implied it is also a personal attack. There's a huge difference between saying 'a game features sexist tropes' and 'the developers of this game are misogynists and sexists, and so are all the players who play it'. You'll find Sarkeesian sensibly avoids the latter train of thought, as there are countless reasons why a game may feature that sort of content, and few of them are are borne out of active misogyny.

As for Hitman Absolution, which seems to be constantly invoked as the definitive evidence of Sarkeesian's misrepresentation of games (is it because the other dozens of examples she uses are much harder to refute?), well here's a video posted in this thread a while back that IMO gives a more in-depth response to the game sequence in question and in context than Sarkeesian did. Although maybe Sarkeesian should have used the Hitman Sniper Challenge clip instead, which I'd struggle to imagine anybody thinking is okay :eek:

I didn't watch all the video because it's guilty of the exact same things he is accusing thunderfoot of so I stopped about 10 minutes in, let me know if the last 20 minutes are really worth it. They both cherry pick and ignore anything that disagrees with them.

Just because thunderfoot does a pretty poor job of arguing his initial point, does not make that point invalid.

I would imagine the reason the Hitman game is honed in on for that particular video is because the only other brutal examples of violence against women are from GTA and Saints Row, where nobody is going to argue that violence against women isn't common place. It's also an extrame example of taking a neiche scenario that is in no way encouraged by the game, it is simply possible, and playing it up to sound like it is actively encouraged.

In reference a piece she says on specifically constructed violent scenarios she runs the clip of the hit man game and says this over it:

"Players are then invited to explore and exploit those situations during the play through. The player cannot help but treat these female bodies as things to be acted upon. Because they were designed, constructed and placed in the environment for that singular purpose. Players are meant to derive a perverse pleasure from desecrating the bodies of unsuspecting virtual female characters. It’s a rush streaming from a carefully concocted mix of sexual arousal connected to the act of controlling and punishing representation of female sexuality."

She may have been talking about all games there, but she ran the hitman clip because it's the best looking example of what she wants to portray.

Earlier in the video she also uses a clip from the same setting in hitman, of a place where the player has no reason to be and she says this "These active viewing mechanics encourage players to collaborate with developers in sexual objectification by enabling players to scope out and spy on non playable sex objects."

She does a similar thing with Fallout, where you can pick up the body of a scantily clad women and move it around like a ragdoll. Ignoring the fact that you can do this with literally every non-essential character in the game and the game in no way encourages you to violently murder women, you will in fact be punished for it if you do it in the cities where the scantily clad women are found.

She states that violent behaviour isn't mandatory, but is often implicitly encouraged. But she never explains how it's encouraged, unless she is trying to say that simply because it's possible it is therefore encouraged but that logic doesn't follow. She then goes on to completely disregard how most of the games she comments on punish you for committing violence against women by saying that usually the resulting chase from the cops or whoever is fun.

She then goes on with this beauty:

"Women are constantly represented as primarily for sex. Men may be sexual too but they can also be anything else. They’re not defined by or reduced to their sexuality and their sexuality is not thought of as something existing chiefly for the pleasure of others. Which means the fundamentally dominant position of men in our culture is not in anyway challenged or diminished by their rare male depiction as a sex worker."

Completely ignoring all the strong female characters out there and claiming that only women can be harmed by sexual stereotypes.

In the summary bit of the women as background video she describes how objectifying women in games causes women to have eating disorders and mental disorders such as depression. While in men it makes them view women as less intelligent and less competent. It makes all genders more tolerant of sexual harassment and rape. Without once backing up what she says with any sort of evidence.

"The more you think you cannot be effected the more likely you are to be effected."

I assume this is the quote shruikan2553 was referring to.

Some other areas that stood out to me that seem to be calling developers and gamers sexist are in a piece describing how games turn women into vending machines dispensing goods and services:

"When men are depicted using female NPC’s as tools or commodities, their actions are portrayed as part of what makes them powerful, which is by extension part of what makes the player then feel powerful."

And near the end she states:

"Unlike traditional media gaming offers players the unique opportunity to use and exploit female bodies themselves. This forces gamers to become complicit with developers in making sexual objectification a participatory activity."

I am not arguing that women as background decoration isn't an overused trope, Anita even makes the odd good point about it. But that is drastically taken away from when she tries to make the issue much bigger and more significant than it really is, especially when she uses misinformation and exaggeration to achieve this.

Anyway I'm harping on my original point was the reason she is so disliked is she makes people feel they are being accused of sexism simply for playing games, not because people can't handle criticism of games because people have been doing that for a long time with no reprocussions. She uses the phrase "gamers are complicit with the developers a lot", why use the word complicit if she is not accusing?

• Advertisement

Of course it's about her sex life, you wouldn't have mentioned blowjobs otherwise. Even now you're still throwing out the prospect that Zoe Quinn may sleep with people for favourable reviews, only that she hasn't been caught and hiding behind the "we don't know" cavaet.

This is where it gets very murky for me because I just don't see any male people in the industry being subjected to the same level of scrutiny about their sex lives.

i mentioned three seperate real examples and you are the one that focused on the sex. I also mentioned that we don't know what Zoey or the reviewers were up to but you took this to be a slight on her alone. It's very possible reviewers are the ones taking advantage of their position. You made it all about her, not me.

Advertisement