Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

COYVB wrote: »
    There's a pretty massive problem with speaking to people publicly like that when you're representing a company. The thing is, and she knows it, is that she's essentially unfirable from the job. If she gets fired, there'll be such an incredible sh*t show of nonsense arising from it that nobody will bother.

She can talk however she likes when she's not referencing her employer's work or projects, but it would appear that she's veered into using her personal account to speak about work stuff, and given that she's an official mouthpiece for the company/project, she's wandered into mighty unsafe ground - or at least she would have in any other job in any other industry in the world
    Did she use her personal account to speak about work stuff though? Officially speaking, at least? I mean she expressed excitement about getting the job and her role there but outside of that, most of the problems people had with her on Twitter were when they trawled back through her tweets prior to her hiring and found what they considered "objectionable" content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    he leaves out the bit where he has actually been harassing and acting the troll prior to being banned.

it's not a *just because I have a gamergate hashtag* it's he was actively on the forums posting threads related directly to gamergate and irrelevent crap in the video posted above (specifcally the sweeden pro-nouns things)
    https://twitter.com/FortesSnC/status/512137348553781248
    https://twitter.com/FortesSnC/status/506991707087331328

and then constantly tweeting to them demanding they let him continue spamming their twitter page with it.

This whole Gamergate thing gets more retarded with each passing day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

gizmo wrote: »
    Did she use her personal account to speak about work stuff though? Officially speaking, at least? I mean she expressed excitement about getting the job and her role there but outside of that, most of the problems people had with her on Twitter were when they trawled back through her tweets prior to her hiring and found what they considered "objectionable" content.

I may have been reading it wrong, but Im pretty sure she used it to tell people she had banned from the work account to f*ck off, and boasted about her ban list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I may have been reading it wrong, but Im pretty sure she used it to tell people she had banned from the work account to f*ck off, and boasted about her ban list

Link(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This whole Gamergate thing gets more retarded with each passing day...

Ive gotten sick of hearing about it now. Couldn't care less about this nonsense drama anymore.

The only thing that bothers me is the vilification of all gamers when its really just a spat between idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The only thing that Gamergate has achieved for me is to make me think of myself of someone who plays videogames, rather than a 'gamer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The only thing that Gamergate has achieved for me is to make me think of myself of someone who plays videogames, rather than a 'gamer'.

Aye, tbh, I don't think I'd feel the need to categorise myself based on one of my hobbies.

Nothing on that page shows she used her personal account to tell people she had banned from the work account to f*ck off nor that did she boast about her ban list being comprised of people she engaged with on said work account though.

On the contrary, it shows that people have mentioned her and attempted to engage her via her personal twitter in their complaints about her official role and, for various reasons, she's blocked them. Nothing particularly wrong there since it's her personal account. If, on the other hand, some of the quoted replies had been via the official @MightyNo9 account then there would be grounds for action from her employer.

As an aside, the article also highlights another reason why the aforementioned backer would have been banned and blocked from various Might No. 9 sites, outside of the reasons BlitzKrieg mentioned above, namely he was posting screenshots of the private backers forum which is against the evidently clearly stated rules.

Nothing on that page shows she used her personal account to tell people she had banned from the work account to f*ck off nor that did she boast about her ban list being comprised of people she engaged with on said work account though.

On the contrary, it shows that people have mentioned her and attempted to engage her via her personal twitter in their complaints about her official role and, for various reasons, she's blocked them. Nothing particularly wrong there since it's her personal account. If, on the other hand, some of the quoted replies had been via the official @MightyNo9 account then there would be grounds for action from her employer.

As an aside, the article also highlights another reason why the aforementioned backer would have been banned and blocked from various Might No. 9 sites, outside of the reasons BlitzKrieg mentioned above, namely he was posting screenshots of the private backers forum which is against the evidently clearly stated rules.

ByFM-09CEAAPS5h.jpg

that's to someone she banned from the work account, is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yeah the article mentions it...then says it cant find any proof:
    The truth of her claim I can not verify as she doesn’t offer any proof and the twitter account for Forte still claims he was blocked for Gamer Gate reasons and doesn’t show any offending images.

It took me 5 or so minutes to find those two tweets, they were literally a few days before he bands where he is sending screenshots of the forum to the official mightyno9 forum

https://twitter.com/FortesSnC/status/512137348553781248
    https://twitter.com/FortesSnC/status/506991707087331328

so nichegamer is either incredibly lazy or just a tiny bit bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I'd like to see the tweets she received from the user in question to her personal account before I'd consider holding that against her.

ByFM-09CEAAPS5h.jpg

notice it's the only tweet they dont link.

notice it's date

it was posted on the 6th of september thats over a week before the banning (Forte posted he was banned on september 21st)

So a better policy (which I am doing right now if you hold on) is to hunt down the actual tweet and see it's context)

<image>

On the basis that said user has apparently deleted the original tweet, I'd imagine they engaged her via her personal account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the user deleted the original tweet then it's more than likely because they have something to hide. Going on to someone's personal account like that is firstly really low and creepy that they found it. I imagine they were acting the complete bellend on her personal account and deserved worse than that response.

Also his twitter account only has 1 tweet on gamergate and 19 in total.

none of which has anything mentioning might no 9 or the people blocked from it on twitter.

That tweet genuinely has nothing to do with the issue at hand and has been dropped into that article with malicious intent.

Again either an incredibly lazy journalist (occum's razor, it's easier to be lazy then corrupt) or someone corrupting journalism for their own ends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I find it interesting that in light of Emma Watson's speech to the UN, we're seeing people switch from talking about "gamers" and are now turning their ire towards known hacker extraordinaire 4Chan. It's not specifically #GamerGate, but the timing of it in conjunction with the ongoing turmoil seems to have dragged it in.

I've avoided reading most of the noise about this stuff, I don't have the time and it is my job to deal with the sorts of personalities involved, so why the frak would I want to do that on my time off too :)

It's really sad though. Just sad. I don't know why so many boys hate women (a real man knows that a real woman is his equal and if he's lucky, some day his partner should he so choose). Regardless of any points made on any "side" of this nonsense, the raw hate being directed towards one/some/all women actually upsets me past the point of anger and into despair for humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Woohoo! Another name to add to the Thread Title!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

But if Phil Fish tells someone to choke on his dick, he is immediately Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobsimspons

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's really sad though. Just sad. I don't know why so many boys hate women (a real man knows that a real woman is his equal and if he's lucky, some day his partner should he so choose). Regardless of any points made on any "side" of this nonsense, the raw hate being directed towards one/some/all women actually upsets me past the point of anger and into despair for humanity.

When said women behave in hypocritical, deceitful, and fraudulent ways, they're going to get criticized. Your implication that they're unable to handle this as well as men is noted though :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You're missing the point entirely, and yet at the same time, proving mine entirely for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Cormac... wrote: »
    Woohoo! Another name to add to the Thread Title!
    Nah. If we were keeping track of the list of people targeted for abuse by internet anti-feminist warriors then we'd quickly run out of space in a thread title. At this rate we'd be adding a handful of high-profile cases a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shiminay wrote: »
    I find it interesting that in light of Emma Watson's speech to the UN, we're seeing people switch from talking about "gamers" and are now turning their ire towards known hacker extraordinaire 4Chan. It's not specifically #GamerGate, but the timing of it in conjunction with the ongoing turmoil seems to have dragged it in.

I've avoided reading most of the noise about this stuff, I don't have the time and it is my job to deal with the sorts of personalities involved, so why the frak would I want to do that on my time off too :)

https://8chan.co/gg/res/16903.html
    (via reddit)
    TL;DR

The people behind the "Emma Watson your next" thing, currently trying to frame 4chan, might be a company called rantic. Seems like it's a company that basically creates drama and then profits from it. Or perhaps they were doing it at the behest of some third party. What else have they done? Evidence in the thread I linked. Wait for more evidence before completely freaking out though. The research is in progress. If you can help them out, by gathering and (as importantly) archiving evidence, do so please.

Someone posting on twitter about it: https://twitter.com/Cycieties/status/514504200693497857[2]

... I need more popcorn.

Group known for pulling off internet hoaxes attempt to discredit website known for pulling off internet hoaxes by pulling off an internet hoax.

We're through the looking glass, people. :pac:

As an aside, regarding the tweets, how is this related to GamerGate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Group known for pulling off internet hoaxes attempt to discredit website known for pulling off internet hoaxes by pulling off an internet hoax.

"Anonymous" is no more a group than "people who post on Boards.ie's Games section"...

Aside: because the media / laymen love to blame everything evil from the internet on 4chan, as if it's some massive woman-hating singularity.

I think from 2 sides there are many assumptions

From the general media it is assumed that 4chan is somehow an actual organised movement therefore the leaked nudes, gamergate and anything else that is linked to 4chan must all be tied together.

From #gamergate side it must be all a linked conspiracy to discredit the movement with false flags and hatchet jobs.

frankly it looks like a prank and the gamergate people are trying too hard to make a conspiracy out of it on that link.

It's the same website and viral route as a previous GTA 5 on pc cancelled hoax (set up website, leak it to fox weekly) so chances are its the exact same individual who did that hoax doing this one.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    "Anonymous" is no more a group than "people who post on Boards.ie's Games section"...

Aside: because the media / laymen love to blame everything evil from the internet on 4chan, as if it's some massive woman-hating singularity.
    The myriad of websites reporting (evidently erroneously) on the issue are referring to 4chan as the source website. I imagine if an incident occurred on a specific sub-forum on Boards then the media would similarly refer to the source of said incident as Boards.ie. I wouldn't regard this as some sort of subversive attack on any particular website, it's more likely done out of ignorance on the side of the reporter or for the benefit of their audience due to their perceived ignorance on how such websites are structured.

As for the media link, it appears the sole purpose of this campaign was to garner such a response from mainstream websites. It's doesn't appear to be the first time they've done it either, with previous campaigns featuring everything from Family Guy to the GTA V rumours earlier in the year. So again, I don't see how this relates to the GamerGate hashtag at all. It's far more likely related to the recent hacking of iCloud, the release of celebrity images and the widespread media backlash over the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

The myriad of websites reporting (evidently erroneously) on the issue are referring to 4chan as the source website. I imagine if an incident occurred on a specific sub-forum on Boards then the media would similarly refer to the source of said incident as Boards.ie. I wouldn't regard this as some sort of subversive attack on any particular website, it's more likely done out of ignorance on the side of the reporter or for the benefit of their audience due to their perceived ignorance on how such websites are structured.

As for the media link, it appears the sole purpose of this campaign was to garner such a response from mainstream websites. It's doesn't appear to be the first time they've done it either, with previous campaigns featuring everything from Family Guy to the GTA V rumours earlier in the year. So again, I don't see how this relates to the GamerGate hashtag at all. It's far more likely related to the recent hacking of iCloud, the release of celebrity images and the widespread media backlash over the incident.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    <video>
    ...and then there's that. Jesus. :o

• Advertisement

supposedly the guy who tends to do this countdown hoax is possible irish: http://www.dailydot.com/news/pickles-yasha-swag-cheating-youtube-views/
    http://www.dailydot.com/business/socialvevo-family-guy-hoax-company/

:D

So using smelt it dealt it rules, K.O.Kiki J'accuse!

:D

Advertisement