Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Personally, I find the idea that the GameJournoPro Google Group is an example of poor journalistic ethics to be completely off base. Not only has no actual evidence of collusion come from it despite it being labelled as a smoking gun (amongst other grossly hyperbolic and factually inaccurate things) by Breitbart upon its reveal, have people never heard of Press Clubs? James Fudge also wrote a very good piece about it over on GamePolitics if you fancy a read.

been meaning to ask actually. Has anything else been leaked from that group? Something not related to responding to the GG/Quinn issue. For example them all agreeing to highlight a certain title or to across the board criticize some company or group. basically an issue with them that predates gamergate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    been meaning to ask actually. Has anything else been leaked from that group? Something not related to responding to the GG/Quinn issue. For example them all agreeing to highlight a certain title or to across the board criticize some company or group. basically an issue with them that predates gamergate.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2014/10/gamergate-destructoid-corruption-and-ruined-careers/
    Allistar Pinsof, a former writer for Destructoid, has come forward after dealing with a year of turmoil and frustration for not having received proper justice, following an unusual situation that spawned from Pinsof warning consumers about an IndieGoGo campaign. Combined with certain e-mails from the Game Journo Pros mailing list, his information corroborates a lot of what gamers suspected but didn’t know how to deal with or expose. For the purpose of this story, some names may be redacted as requested by some people involved with the situation. [...]

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Thanks for the germaine and measured response Gizmo - been very hesistant to post anything regarding this because I worried it would rapidly decline into a sh*tstorm.

Firstly, full context of the 'sleep with' comment hadn't been clearly to me - apologies for the misunderstanding on my part.

Regarding the scandals in game journalism/games developement, does it not show that we haven't learned enough from the past to avoid repeating it in the future if we're only seeing the same, tired, greed fueled stupidity year after year after year. Surely the fact that it keeps coming back is evidence that not enough has been done to stem it?

On a separate note, a subject which was touched briefly in the earlier patges of this thread was whether games, as art, should need to fulfill social criteria. Understand that I'm not approaching this from a "Hey, my prostitution game is an artistic expression of the subjectation of womoen in modern society!" but actually seriously. At what point, say, is the depiction of a human (male of female) in a state of undress in a game artistic rather then demeaning? If a developer is making a game based on Norse heroic sagas for example they would find few (though not no) examples 'action' female characters but thats a reflection surely of the milleiu rather then active sexism on the part of the game developer? I'm wary basically of us saying on one hand "games are art" and on the other saying "and art must follow a social agenda, one which we all agree is laudable".

To forestall people griefing me about this - I'll confess to not being academically instructed in this area and, as such, my considerations may be rather simplistic in the the context but I would also appreciate a debate style discussion on this, if nothing else to educate my own views :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Evac101 wrote: »
    whether games, as art, should need to fulfill social criteria

They should not. They should fulfill the aims of the people making the games, whatever they are. The market will determine whether or not they've got any other merits, whether artistic or otherwise.

That's one of my major problems with this whole thing. Developers are making the games they want to make, how they want to make them. If they're not making games that touch upon important aspects of society it's because they don't want to. That means there's a big old space in the market for anyone who DOES want to take that route. It's a free market, and nobody is preventing anyone from making any kind of game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Wow, this thing is still a thing that is actually going on?

I read numerous gaming sites/forums and know next to nothing about it because i avoid stories or threads on the subject other than this one and the real press isn't even bothering with it.

Can't understand why it's getting so much attention :confused:

• Advertisement

Can't understand why it's getting so much attention :confused:

Because some good points are being raised on both sides, albeit the most important one is coming from GG with regards to journalistic integrity

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

wow that was well timed. it had been out there for so long I was waiting to see if anything else came from it or if it was all just focused on their response to gamergate.

reading through the article, it's a shame it's so poorly formatted but getting the general gist of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

wow that was well timed. it had been out there for so long I was waiting to see if anything else came from it or if it was all just focused on their response to gamergate.

reading through the article, it's a shame it's so poorly formatted but getting the general gist of it.

Got a few paragraphs in and i have no idea what it's about or why anyone should care.

Am i still allowed to play and enjoy videogames :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Thanks for the germaine and measured response Gizmo - been very hesistant to post anything regarding this because I worried it would rapidly decline into a sh*tstorm.
    Oh I wouldn't worry about that, everyone around here has been pretty level headed about the whole thing, regardless of what side of the fence they lean on. :)
    Regarding the scandals in game journalism/games developement, does it not show that we haven't learned enough from the past to avoid repeating it in the future if we're only seeing the same, tired, greed fueled stupidity year after year after year. Surely the fact that it keeps coming back is evidence that not enough has been done to stem it?
    Well there's a couple of points here. Firstly most of my examples are from a few years ago so given the press coverage and associated backlash against them, one could reasonably assume most publishers realised such shady dealing with publications weren't worth it any more. Lesson learned? Well...

With the growth of Youtube and marketing firms which cater to various forms of social media we've seen something of a resurgence of the practice, with campaigns such as Machinima's XB1M13 with Microsoft, EA and Ronku for Battlefield 4 and of course, the more recent Shadow of Mordor deal with Warner Bros and Plaid Social. What's more telling is that, in the latter case at least, traditional publications, online or otherwise, dealt with Warner Bros PR directly and were provided with review copies without such restrictions.

As for stemming it on the reporting side in general? When the original behaviour was called out, it stopped. One hopes that in the future if similar deals come out with regards Youtubers, the same rejection and publication takes places again. What I'd also like to see is the larger publications go after Warner Bros over it. It doesn't matter if SoM turned out to be a great game, that contract should never have existed. Was it's creation and application a decision directed to their external marketing firm by WB themselves or was the decision Plaid Social? Have they engaged in that behaviour for previous games that we don't know about? There are still lots of questions to be answered on that one and it's disappointing it hasn't gotten more coverage throughout this whole ethics/corruption kerfuffle.
    COYVB wrote: »
    They should not. They should fulfill the aims of the people making the games, whatever they are. The market will determine whether or not they've got any other merits, whether artistic or otherwise.

That's one of my major problems with this whole thing. Developers are making the games they want to make, how they want to make them. If they're not making games that touch upon important aspects of society it's because they don't want to. That means there's a big old space in the market for anyone who DOES want to take that route. It's a free market, and nobody is preventing anyone from making any kind of game
    Certainly agree with the first part, but I'm not quite sure on the second. While it's true that in many cases devs can make the games they want to make, it's impossible to deny the extremely strong influence from marketing and, as a direct result, the financial side, when it comes to planning/designing content. I think we can see a good example of this from the types of games which are being produced by smaller independent studios, whether they're coming from smaller more diverse publishers or self-published and whether they're made by ex-industry folk or newcomers to the industry.

Granted when you say developers you may mean decisions made by companies from the top down in which case they are making the games they want to make from the direction I described. :P

Aye, it's a pretty horrid case all right. I remember it being covered briefly at the time but I never saw any massive expose over it. Am I correct in assuming this particular accusation of collusion is centered around Dale North's comment on the GJP list in 2013? If so, I can't really see how he's in breach of the quoted Florida statute any more so than he would be for ringing up any of the other EiC's he knows and asking whether he should hire Pinsof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Like gizmo, I'd disagree with this. While a lot of this is based on speculation, I would be surprised if a considerable amount of creatives working in the mid to high budget range wouldn't be doing things differently if they had unlimited creative freedom. Certainly we have seen cases where publisher interference or marketing concerns have changed games - Swery and Access adding combat to Deadly Premonition, for example, was a last minute publisher request and has a notable impact on the game's overall identity and coherence. I'm sure there are many similar examples that we will never hear about, but given how many developers have left their good jobs and big budgets to take the risk of going independent and make the games they want I think it is pretty clear the games 'industry' is not always one that supports auteurs and experimentation (not an issue unique to games, it must be stressed). Thankfully the independent games movement has ensured the largely risk-free world of studio and AAA development is not the only avenue for creatively minded developers.

Incidentally, nobody is calling for every game to feature explorations of social issues, bar maybe a few fundamentalists. (Not to mention aggressively 'socially aware' and issue-driven media is often among the most heavy handed, and games can be creatively brave and ambitious in countless other respects than 'themes' and the inclusion of more balanced representations of gender / race etc...). For most the wish is simply for a more welcoming environment for games that do challenge the status quo, the emergence of more games with alternate perspectives / representations, and ultimately the space to discuss them in a critical and productive manner without the whole debate collapsing into a cluster****.

• Advertisement

Like gizmo, I'd disagree with this. While a lot of this is based on speculation, I would be surprised if a considerable amount of creatives working in the mid to high budget range wouldn't be doing things differently if they had unlimited creative freedom.

That's completely missing my point. Nobody is forcing those people to make those games, and they're perfectly able to go make a game they way they want in their own time or on their own dollar.

The point I was making was that there's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from making any game they choose, beyond the scope of their technical abilities and financing.

Big budget game companies are making products to sell as many as possible, but that's what you know you're getting into if you opt to work for them. You're still not being forced to make anything against your will, the option is always there to look elsewhere

Got a few paragraphs in and i have no idea what it's about or why anyone should care.

i expected to be corrected on this but from what I've put together

Chloe Sagal ran an indiegogo campaign to raise funds for what she claimed was a life saving operation but was in fact a sex change operation Chloe confided this to Allister Pinsof and then attempted to take her own life, while she was in the psych ward (after allister and another talked her down from committing suicide) Allister wanted to expose the scam but destructoid editor's advised against it and allister went and outed it on Twitter anyway. There were some insensitive tweets in the process massive outcry, allister was warned his job was being reviewed over it and then he was fired and then treated as a Pariah by the games journalism industry.

Where the gamejourno mailing list comes in is on two points they raise:

First that on the day he was fired, destructoid's editor discussed the situation with other people on the mailing list. Whats not clear is the time line cause the article paints it that it was based on the discussion with the gamejourno mailing list that the decision was made to fire him, but the times dont line up (the time he fired Allister is 2am may 17th yet the only email they show in full is set at 11am may 17th) but I dont know how much of that could be timezone wibbly wobbly time wimey.

In fact the whole firing is a mess as the editor doesnt tell anyone (gamejourno included) the same thing and the story keeps bouncing back and forth from earlier dates to later dates so it is hard to grasp a timeline

The second issue though is a bit more interesting

they have a quote from the editor supposably to the gamejourno list warning them that allister was looking around for work (saying "you know who" instead of his name) and advising that they shouldnt hire him they all respond jokingly confirming it's allister

and it was this that led to him being blacklisted by the industry. The article also brings up that the revelation that he may have colluded with others to push allister from the industry via gamejourno quoting a florida law that makes it grounds for unlawful termination or something.

In the end the editor responded stating it wasnt collusion cause what he says on the gamejourno mailing list is exactly the same statements he made publicly and that Allister pretty much destroyed his career himself by how he acted on twitter and he didnt have to do anything.

In the end it seems these problems keep coming back to twitter.

Am i still allowed to play and enjoy videogames :confused:

yes

have you tried alien Isolation? its fantastic fun, just dont go on the steam forums there is a lot of trollish behaviour going on, but the game itself is awesome and is my favourite this year so far.

That's completely missing my point. Nobody is forcing those people to make those games, and they're perfectly able to go make a game they way they want in their own time or on their own dollar.

The point I was making was that there's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from making any game they choose, beyond the scope of their technical abilities and financing.

Big budget game companies are making products to sell as many as possible, but that's what you know you're getting into if you opt to work for them. You're still not being forced to make anything against your will, the option is always there to look elsewhere

you dont work in a creative field do you?

I do actually

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not exactly minor concerns :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I work in a creative field and I can't see anything wrong in what he says.

I do actually

really?

Very surprised you'd make such a statement. Very rare to hear someone with actual experience in a creative industry just shrug off the twin devils of finance and market as if it's just a minor concern.

really?

Very surprised you'd make such a statement. Very rare to hear someone with actual experience in a creative industry just shrug off the twin devils of finance and market as if it's just a minor concern.

I'd imagine he's not shrugging it off but pragmatically (if not a little simplistically) stating the either or situation most people in creative fields find themselves in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's still nonsense when you apply it to the games market and real life. If developers wanted to make the games they have always wanted then it would mean giving up a secure job for a very risky venture With no social welfare cover if it fails. Going straight into it without any industry experience is just asking to fail. At the end of the day you are still making a consumer product so it has to fail and the cost of making an indie game can run into 5 figures, and closer to 1 million.

Take that from someone who looked into going solo and realising I'd need way more experience in the industry because it's not just about making a game. You can make the best game in the world but it won't sell unless you know how to manage it and you'll only get that from experience. I've been to interviews with way too many indie devs that have started up straight out of college and could see how poorly run they were and doomed to failure.

Even still it doesn't change the fact that the game you want to make still needs to sell to a market and the financial investment is so big, even for an indie game, that you can't just make the game you want to make and not at least make concessions to aim it at a target market.

really?

But I didn't do that...

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    the game you want to make still needs to sell to a market

It doesn't, unless you want to make a game that sells, in which case the concessions you make aren't actually concessions because you're doing what you set out to do to begin with - therefore making the game you wanted to make

One thing I think is needed is better support systems for developers working in the mid-higher independent budget range, but aren't making particularly commercially viable titles. There are always some creators who are too radical for the mainstream, but have outgrown the limits of low-to-no budgets. Cinema is much better off in that regard, through the likes of MEDIA, Eurimages and even - from time to time - the local film boards. It allows major talents to make their more ambitious films while still enjoying a relatively generous budget. Hopefully as gaming matures and legitimises arts organisations and the like will have more time and resources for games - we can already see in some countries on a pretty small scale, but fingers crossed in ten, twenty years developers will have more opportunity to realise their grander ambitions. And it's great to see more experimental titles like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter being realised without technical or graphical compromises - again, something that there will hopefully be more of.

The problem is, cinema isn't making those mid-budget films anymore. They have died a death recently and studios are afraid to take a chance on them as this article shows...

http://tribecafilm.com/stories/five-films-that-can-t-get-funding

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It doesn't, unless you want to make a game that sells, in which case the concessions you make aren't actually concessions because you're doing what you set out to do to begin with - therefore making the game you wanted to make

In that case your goal wouldn't be to make the game you want to make but a product that will make you money. Even still you are ignoring what I said about experience. If you want to make a product that sells making a game is the easy part. If you don't know anything about user centered design, project management, advertising, community management or sourcing funding then you are never going to make a successful project and the only place you are going to get those skills is in industry.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm an old, old, DeVore era roleplayer,

HEY!!! Wtf?! :P

I'm still hip with the kids!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

my main question now is - what will come out of all this?
    for the amount of time put into it, i doubt there will be much of a pay off. journalism is always quite sleazy, it is the nature of the business so I doubt much will change on that front?
    what about awareness? understanding that your typical player isn't a sugared up 16 year old and that other people play too and maybe finally shake this monkey off in a broader media context.

Nothing will come of it because the (relatively) few people making noise about the whole thing aren't enough to make any kind of meaningful difference or force a change. And then you've got the issue that any good points about problems with games journalism are being drowned out by the absolute fcuktards making threats to people, which is completely nullifying any semblance of clarity or intelligence behind the whole thing.

The entire industry knows that it's not 16 year old kids any more. EVERYONE knows the 33 year old average gamer stat at this stage. There are things the can be done, but nobody really cares enough to make any of them work

But the consumer base is mostly teenage boys. The study that showed gamer age as being 33 years average excluded anyone under the age of 18.

Surely the point of services like Indiegogo, Patreon, Kickstarter, etc is to allow things which would not receive corporate backing to seek funding from the people who would be interested in them? If you want to make a game regarding hermaphrodite sea monkeys and their quest to deal with insecurity in their society, without sacrificing your vision or ethics, then it's merely a matter of costing the exercise, putting together a pitch and seeing if the genuine interest in that exists enough for people to back it.

I also find it kind of weird that we have no problem imagining a sculptor or artist 'struggling' in their careers infancy (and in many cases for long after that) but we reject the idea that game dev's who want to make games in accordance with their artistic vision should have some sort of safety net. I say this as someone with a nephew working as a full time, independent animator who is, despite constant critical success, still in no way comfortable financially and with a sister who gave up being a 'full time' sculptor, once again despite critical success over the course of 15 years, and moved into art therapy to support herself and her kids.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But the consumer base is mostly teenage boys. The study that showed gamer age as being 33 years average excluded anyone under the age of 18.

Actually, all that means is that the user base under 18 hasn't been measured (by that study). Unless you have research which shows that the majority of the user base is under 18 then all you're doing is making an assumption, presumably one based on personal experience, but hardly empirical.

Advertisement