Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian discussion thread

Options
1515253545557»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

wes wrote: »
    Meh, the sort of person who claims they will quit over something so trivial, are full of it, and rarely follow through. Also, who care about award shows, there crap, and best to be ignored.

Heh, remember Rat Darcy saying he'd leave the country is Enda were Taoiseach. What a day that would have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

GAME CRITIC IN STRONG OPINION ABOUT GAME SHOCKER!!!
    What happened next will make you stop licking the sugar off your Frosties…

The tweet doesn't say why he disliked Bayonetta 2 but this is his review of the first Bayonetta. He makes reference to the sexiness of the character but only really in how goofy he found it. I'm guessing if 2 was more of the same for him, it was never going to be a contender for game of the year for him.

www [dot]imgur[dot]com/j2YDyUe.png

nope they where ****ting on the game for it's sexiness, bayonetta 2 was praised by everyone that reviewed it but polygon that thought it was a good game but having a female MC was bad. It's by far the peoples choice for goty and this is why these reviewers have lost touch with the actual consumers of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

anonyanony wrote: »

nope they where ****ting on the game for it's sexiness, bayonetta 2 was praised by everyone that reviewed it but polygon that thought it was a good game but having a female MC was bad. It's by far the peoples choice for goty and this is why these reviewers have lost touch with the actual consumers of games.

So are you saying that if a reviewer or critic has a differing opinion to the general consensus, they shouldn't be employed to review games? Is this where you're going with this?

So are you saying that if a reviewer or critic has a differing opinion to the general consensus, they shouldn't be employed to review games? Is this where you're going with this?

If that opinion has nothing to do with the actual game yes, how sexy bayonetta has no effect on the game, saying they will quit if the game won when it's by far the best game this year.

They cannot even try to be objective they should not be a reviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

www[dot]techraptor[dot]net/content/game-awards-judge-reveals-bias-bayonetta-2

In a year when most games where **** bayonetta 2 was a very high point but these people with there biases stopped it having any chance of it winning cause the MC was a sexy woman.

I think it goes to show that the only public vote was won by total biscuit and the amount salt it created by these people on twitter

I've gone looking and can't find anything to suggest that Lou Kesten made the remark based on the gender of the lead character - if you have links to support that view (such as quotes of him saying "I hate women and Bayonetta is a woman"), otherwise I have to assume he was happy that DA won because he felt it was a better game? Given that you can play either gender and a number of non-hetro-normative sexualities in DA:I it would seem weird for him to condemn one game on that basis and ignore that another also indulges it?

My (not quite ready to be offended as everyone else today it seems) reading of what I have found regarding this would lead me to read his tweet as an endorsement of the winner (DA:I) and that he felt Bayonetta wasn't a serious challenger but this is in absence of anything I could find to back up the idea that his tweet was anything to do with gender. I will say I haven't played either yet so whether this view would be accurate isn't something I could comment on.

• Advertisement

when it's by far the best game this year.

Subjective opinion is subjective? On his and your count?

If that opinion has nothing to do with the actual game yes, how sexy bayonetta has no effect on the game, saying they will quit if the game won when it's by far the best game this year.

Ah Ffs, you think it's the game of the year, he clearly doesn't and his original review of the first game shows he had no love for it either. Get over it.

Ah Ffs, you think it's the game of the year, he clearly doesn't and his original review of the first game shows he had no love for it either. Get over it.

But his issue is she is a sexy woman, that fact doesn't effect the game at all, she could be a hamplanet or tranny and the story and game would play the same and the reviewers would not be ****ting on it.

Their issue is it's a sexy women and it's a point which does not effect the game at all.

Please clarify where you have seen ANY attributable evidence to support his opinion being based on gender - I have looked and failed to find a damn thing except opinion pieces offering their opinion that this is the case but no actual facts

Evac101 wrote: »
    Please clarify where you have seen ANY attributable evidence to support his opinion being based on gender - I have looked and failed to find a damn thing except opinion pieces offering their opinion that this is the case but no actual facts

Posted this earlier

• Advertisement

But his issue is she is a sexy woman, that fact doesn't effect the game at all, she could be a hamplanet or tranny and the story and game would play the same and the reviewers would not be ****ting on it.

Their issue is it's a sexy women and it's a point which does not effect the game at all.

The issue is that people are fooking idiots.

Jumping Jesus on a Pogostick! He didn't like the game and a certain section of people have decided that they only reason is because the main character is oversexualised. I'm sure it's probably one of the reasons he didn't like it but based on his review of the original game it's most likely not the only reason. He enjoyed Dragon Age more. That's his opinion and he's entitled to have that. What part of that is not getting through to you?

I played the original Bayonetta and gave up on it because at times it felt like trying to play while suffering from some extreme form of ADHD. Nothing to do with the main character itself.

Wtf is a hamplanet?

Not to be insulting but how can you read an image where the first message is tagged STOPGAMERGATE and then he complains about the "leering over sexualization" in Bayonetta as being a condemnation of a female lead character? It's a rejection of the over sexualization (in his opinion) of a female character, not the gender of the character itself. This is really working hard to find evidence to support a point of view - for me it doesn't read that way at all but the world is free so please continue.

Evac101 wrote: »
    Not to be insulting but how can you read an image where the first message is tagged STOPGAMERGATE and then he complains about the "leering over sexualization" in Bayonetta as being a condemnation of a female lead character? It's a rejection of the over sexualization (in his opinion) of a female character, not the gender of the character itself. This is really working hard to find evidence to support a point of view - for me it doesn't read that way at all but the world is free so please continue.

Stopgamergate is the last post

Thus both displaying my unfamiliarity with twitter while also hopefully showing how little I care about it as a means of communication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Some people's issues with Bayonetta isn't the main character being a sexy woman, and that's being seriously disingenuous about it, a big part of the problem some have with the game is the implied rape in a hidden boss fight. Here's a gif, if you want to see, or here on youtube. Essentially the boss has a finishing move where he grabs the character, the screen whites out and there's fighting sounds and then it shows Bayonetta naked, holding her rear end, while the boss is lied next to her smoking a cigarette, with the implication that he's just had his way with her by force.

And if people have an issue with that sort of content in a game, then they're free to say so.

Oh, and "she could be a hamplanet or tranny"? Stay classy
    Wtf is a hamplanet?

A derisive term for a fat person. Probably not a term you'd know unless you were on 4chan or some of the ****tier parts of reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Links234 wrote: »
    Essentially the boss has a finishing move where he grabs the character, the screen whites out and there's fighting sounds and then it shows Bayonetta naked, holding her rear end, while the boss is lied next to her smoking a cigarette, with the implication that he's just had his way with her by force.

Sounds exactly like a finishing move I'd expect to see in a Bayonetta game - No worse than Bayonetta herself literally torturing angels to death by cutting them in half from their vaginas with a torture device in the first game.

And if people have an issue with that sort of content in a game, then they're free to say so.

Of course. They're also free to not buy/play games with such content and stick to the hundreds of games released yearly that do not have rape finishers in them.

Sounds exactly like a finishing move I'd expect to see in a Bayonetta game - No worse than Bayonetta herself literally torturing angels to death by cutting them in half from their vaginas with a torture device in the first game.

Of course. They're also free to not buy/play games with such content and stick to the hundreds of games released yearly that do not have rape finishers in them.

It's kinda funny that the outrageous over the top violence is completely ignored when sexual assault is there to be complained about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

this is why these reviewers have lost touch with the actual consumers of games.

No, it just shows that the reviewers have lost touch with the subsection of gamers who conform to a sort of mindless groupthink, who firmly believe that there is but one 'type' of gamer who shares the same opinion as all gamers, who fear dissent and are unable or unwilling to acknowledge that people have differing opinions. Who, above all, believe there is but one objective truth when it comes to responses to art or even entertainment, and a pox (or perhaps a doxx) on those who refuse to conform.

I am a mere consumer of games, and being honest I regularly feel like I'm on a completely different planet to many of the other people who are also mere consumers of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭Nollog

Some people's issues with Bayonetta isn't the main character being a sexy woman, and that's being seriously disingenuous about it, a big part of the problem some have with the game is the implied rape in a hidden boss fight. Here's a gif, if you want to see, or here on youtube. Essentially the boss has a finishing move where he grabs the character, the screen whites out and there's fighting sounds and then it shows Bayonetta naked, holding her rear end, while the boss is lied next to her smoking a cigarette, with the implication that he's just had his way with her by force.

Oh, and "she could be a hamplanet or tranny"? Stay classy

A derisive term for a fat person. Probably not a term you'd know unless you were on 4chan or some of the ****tier parts of reddit.

shur everyone's mom gets raped hundreds of times every day, according to kids on xbox live.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    shur everyone's mom gets raped hundreds of times every day, according to kids on xbox live.

lolno ur mum luvs it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I always love when people bring up Bayonetta in a discussion about sexism in games. She was designed, and had a lot of the ideas for animations, by a woman! How can that be misogynistic? Like seriously. Sure, that one boss scene where it seems like she was raped is a bit OTT but I don't think there are many games that don't have one moment in it where you go "mmmm, probably a bit much".

Anyway, I just came on here (a little late I know) to say that the 25 privileges males have in video-gaming is such a pile of BS I honestly feel like I'm drowning in sh1t. Mr. Repizon does a very good response to it and basically points out that nearly all the points have nothing to do with gender. Video below

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Anyway, I just came on her

Fnarr, fnarr…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Fnarr, fnarr…
    Dear lord, Freudian slip or what? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭Nollog

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I always love when people bring up Bayonetta in a discussion about sexism in games. She was designed, and had a lot of the ideas for animations, by a woman! How can that be misogynistic? Like seriously. Sure, that one boss scene where it seems like she was raped is a bit OTT but I don't think there are many games that don't have one moment in it where you go "mmmm, probably a bit much".
    A woman can be as sexist as a man, as can be seen by Bayonetta's interactions with Cheshire.
    Fnarr, fnarr…
    beat me to it, in my haste i clicked back a page instead of reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

25 invisible privileges? I just don't see it :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got 25 privileges but a .... I'll see myself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Oh god, this is fricking ridiculous now. That latest video is just awful.... awful.... it's embarrassing
    It's scrapping the bottom of a barrel thats been whittled down to a splinter.

Well then, we have to ask... how do YOU know that Links? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

All my gaming privileges were earned with knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Cormac... wrote: »
    Well then, we have to ask... how do YOU know that Links? :D

I've stumbled into the ****tier parts of reddit the odd time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,887 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    All my gaming privileges were earned with knowledge.

Knowledge and hard graft!

All those years of playing 8 bit platformers has to count for something.

Advertisement