Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms at NUI Maynooth??

• 22-08-2014 8:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Perhaps beginning at NUIM in September.

Do they have a free weights gym on campus like NUIG has the kingfisher gym (and it is spectacular).

Anything similar at NUIM?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭granturismo

Do they have a free weights gym on campus like NUIG has the kingfisher gym (and it is spectacular).

There is a free weights room in NUIM and students dont pay. I think this is the only mention of gym facilities on teh website and no photos which may speak for itself

https://www.nuim.ie/campus-life/student-life-sport/sports-facilities

You should check with NUIG because I think students have to pay a yearly fee but the standard of the gym facilities in NUIG are streets ahead of NUIM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Under_Graduate

There is a free weights room in NUIM and students dont pay. I think this is the only mention of gym facilities on teh website and no photos which may speak for itself

You should check with NUIG because I think students have to pay a yearly fee but the standard of the gym facilities in NUIG are streets ahead of NUIM.

Well, that link you gave does say they have a gymnastic floor and weights room, which sounds okay...

Do you attend NUIM or have you seen the sports facilities yourself?

Yeah if it's free of charge, I mean, while that's a great thing for students, doesn't normally speak volumes for the quality.

Tried to call to get more specific info but main switch is closed and don't have a gym specific number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Went into Maynooth on Tuesday when I was sorting accommodation out and had a look at the gym and freeweights. Both are located in the Phoenix building and they looked pretty good. :) Being free is a solid bonus as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

The regular gym is upstairs attached to Phoenix has treadmills and bikes etc its small but grand, you'll just have to work out when is the least busy time.

Free weights are downstairs in a smaller room that usually has a few people who are quite into weight lifting more so than people getting into it, but in 4 years I never stepped foot in there .. kinda intimidating.. but they seem to have a lot in there...

also you need to get wrist bands from the office, i.e the little glass hut outside the entrance doors, they are what you need to lock and open your locker, which are located upstairs above the main sports hall.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    Went into Maynooth on Tuesday when I was sorting accommodation out and had a look at the gym and freeweights. Both are located in the Phoenix building and they looked pretty good. :) Being free is a solid bonus as well :)

Maybe you can fill me in on the accommodation side to things also.

Is it possible to get accommodation reasonably close to uni also?
    Or is it like attending DCU?

I read in another thread some folk can take like, 30min bike ride to Uni.

I'm coming from Galway where I could get in in 5 or 10 minutes on my bike, and I'm not familiar with Maynooth at all.
    Just looking for any incites from that side to things also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Maybe you can fill me in on the accommodation side to things also.

I read in another thread some folk can take like, 30min bike ride to Uni.

I'm coming from Galway where I could get in in 5 or 10 minutes on my bike, and I'm not familiar with Maynooth at all.
    Just looking for any incites from that side to things also.

Maynooth is a smallish town so finding accommodation can be very difficult. There seems to be a good few digs going which is what I'm doing but house shares seem to all be taken. Leixlip and Celbridge are reasonably close to Maynooth and you can get a bus from both which takes between 10-15 minutes depending on traffic levels. Don't worry I'm from Kilkenny myself and I'm not particularly familiar with it either! I've only found out all this information from one visit.

I think it is a worthwhile exercise if your in Maynooth at some stage (to sort out accommodation or whatever) to familiarize yourself with the town and it's surroundings. It's not a particularly big place so it isn't that intimidating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

You're going to have a walk from most places, I was finding it was taking me about 15 minutes to the North campus from the train station.. 10 if I really needed to make that class on time! If you're beyond the Bonn Bridge it'll probably take 20-25 minutes to walk especially on those cold winter mornings.(note this is just me I know others walk a lot faster and some a lot slower ) Also they are finally putting in a gate on the south campus at the very end so you don't have to walk around to the main gate- I don't know how much time this will save but it'll definitely be a better walk. But Beaufield and Meadowbrook as far as I know had a large student population which is probably where you want to be.. there was some accommodation out the Straffan Road but it'll take the same sort of time to walk. If you want a shorter commute time I'd be looking at the Moyglare road, (for those of you that have been on the campus if you go out the back gate beside the "on campus accommodations" it's that road). There are a few estates and the commute time is much less probably about 5-6 minutes from the first estate past the college obviously getting longer as you go. Though the walks get easier the more you do them, also a bike makes for a handy commute just make sure you have a lock and you're sorted :) hope this helps

Advertisement